• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Anne Jessel

master brummie
What is QE like today. It used to stand proudly in green leafy suburbia surrounded by fields and meadows. An imposing building on the skyline.
Anne

What is Queen Elizabeth Hospital like today? In the sixties it stood proudly on the skyline in leafy Edgbaston suburbia surrounded with meadows.
I had a trip down memory lane a couple of years ago and found it swallowed up and almost insignificent amongst surrounding concrete and buildings. Couldn't find the tennis courts - or at least how I remembered them
Were you a medical or nursing student in the 60's?
Do you remember when the Queen Mother came to visit? We were all hanging out our windows in Nuffield House to see her arrive.
Anne

Anne i had spine surgery in 2001 at the Q E what a brilliant place it is clean good nursing brilliant surgeons can't say enough about that hospital,and the area around has changed a little,

some body on here might put some photos of the hospital you ask nicely

Q.E.Hospital.

I remember the official opening of this hospital in the early/mid fifties by H.M.Queen Elizabeth II. We had to walk all the way along Bristol Road to Priory Road before we were able to find a space kerbside to view the young Queen. as she passed in her limo.

The reason we found space in Priory Road was because in those days there was no pavement so my grandfather stood me on the stone wall and he had to stand tight against it. This wall I think was then the boundry to Edgbaston Park and now may be the Priory Hospital or the golf course but in those days it was like being in the countryside.

All this for a 30 second glimpse of the Queen I remember how disappointed I was because she wasn't wearing her crown, thousands turned out. I wonder how many would today. What a difference 50 years can make.

Cheers,

pmc1947 (Phil).

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital was opened 1st March 1939 by King George V1 & Queen Elizabeth,during planning and construction it was known as The Centre Hospital.

Colin

A Book on the QE Nurse

During my peruse of the medical Library, now situated in Nuffield House - the former Nurses Home, I found a book - the QE Nurse. I flipped through and despite the fact it was before my time at QE, it hadn't seemed to have changed. I found two of my tutors plus Matron featured in there but much younger than when I knew them.
I scouted around and managed to find a bookshop who phoned around to see if any bookshops stored it. I SHALL GET TO THE POINT IN A MINUTE! Eurika! Waterstones in the High Street had two in stock. I dashed there and bought one. I placed it in my bag, and that was that. When I got home I put it away until I had time to enjoy it. NOW I COME TO THE POINT.
Six weeks later I retrieved it once again and studied the picture on the front cover. It was a much more recent picture than the time scale of the book 1939-1958. Have you guessed yet? On that front cover was ME amongst my PTS Group - only small mind, but I was there with all my class, crossing the road from Nuffield House across to the hospital entrance, and what's more, I do remember when that photo was taken but never knew why until ******years later!
Anne

Incorrect date

Whoops! I uploaded my post before correcting the date - 1938 - 1957

First Published by Brewin Books, Studley, Wawickshire, B80 7LG in May 1997
"QE Nurse"
1938 - 1957
ISBN: 85858 097 8
Anne

A couple of more recent aerial shot of the Q.E.showing work progressing on the new "super hospital",taken from the UHB web site

Colin

QE Super Buildings

I'm trying to make comparisons betwen your pictures Colin. On your latest I can make out the hospital - but can't make out Nuffield House. It must be there?????
Anne

Don't worry, Nuffield House is still there. I am a nurse at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and live in Nuffield House. The top two floors, five and six are still accomodation for staff- or 'the nurses home'!

Welcome Nurse Im1984 :)

Good to have you on board,,the Jokers on here will have you in Stitches :rolleyes:
Welcome & Cheers JohnY:cool:

Hello Nurse 1984 pleased to have another one aboard.

At this rate we will have more Nurses than NHS:)

yes we're like the number 51 bus - you wait hours for one and then we all arrive at the same time.

Thought you might like these scans Again not brilliant but then my speciality is nits, smears and leg ulcers. :D But its the thought that counts

there is a direct bus service from west brom to the QE site It is now unrecognisable-a huge building site and combined with the building of the Selly Oak bypass causing a lot of traffic problems. 4 large cranes fill the sky and 3 huge buildings seem very advanced and can be seen from all over Selly Oak. Well worth a drive around

It's weird seeing those old pics of the QE! Crikey how it's changed! Hopefully with the new 'super hospital' all of the disruption, road works and mayhem that we're going through will be worth it. The QEPH (psychiatric) gets knocked down soon, then moves opposite to where it was so that the new hospital can spread over that space. Exciting stuff!
Best wishes:)

Both our children were born there so the picture in the book is how I remember it. The Maternity Hospital I think was fairly new in 1972, I'm not sure when it was opened. We popped by to have a look in 2005 but forgot to take the camera with us so we didn't get a photo. I should go onto the Internet maybe I could find one to put in our family history book, if I could copy it. :) Mo

Heres whats going to be the New QE Hospital to replace The Old QE and Selly Oak Hospitals,
The first one is a long shot and you can see the old hospital on the right and the new on the left.
The second one I zoomed into, both were took from the car last sunday afternoon.

That has changed since our children were born. What a great design for the new hospital. I'm still hoping to get a photo of the Maternity as it was in 1972. I should check the Internet, I might find one. :) Mo

Back