• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queen Elizabeth Hospital

I noticed the building from the train windows as we approached from the south west. It did like good and far more interesting that the usual slab sided places.

It looks interesting but visiting if difficult if you can't walk far!! It's bigger than it seems from outside and the corridors are curved. Having said that, the care given to my husband was very good, he had a room to himself and most of the wards are for up to four patients. The views from the fifth floor windows were amazing.
rosie.

The bus routes normally stop quite close to the entrance, or get off the bus near University Station and walk there if you can!

And possibly a long wait on the bus waiting to get past all the people dropping off before getting to the stop. The entrance road was not well designed. That was certainly the impression I got while on a bus last year, going elsewhere, but stopping off at hospital

The 76 and now the 1A terminate at the QE. So passengers from Acocks Green / Moseley can go there. The 76 now goes up the bypass instead of the route it used to go there. Not sure if the new routes X20, X21 or X22 stop there (got them from the University but not from the QE).

Some more views of the Birmingham Medical School in the late February 2019 sunshine. Seen from New Fosse Way.

Aesculapius by William Bloye. Noticed that is says Faculty of Medicine below the University of Birmingham coat of arms.

Oh and this was after getting of the 1A bus, walking up the hill, then got the X20 from the next bus stop.

The old QE and the Medical School seen from near a field on the Metchley Park Road.

The new 2010 QE seen from Metchley Park Road.

The Birmingham Women's Hospital seen from Mindelsohn Way. They still have one of the Big Slueth bears there (from the 2017 trail) called India.

I trained at the QE from 82/84 as an Enrolled Nurse group 46, such happy memories. Thanks for those that have shared their stories. I attended a conference there a few years ago & took the opportunity to go on a walk about, taking a peek around Nuffield house unfortunately couldn’t get access to the 5th floor rooms but just being inside was very thought provoking, crossing over to the Cadbury building stepping inside & smellin* 5he wood floor polish I was 18 again. They had opened up the old hospital at that time to create more beds so I had the chance to wonder round, not sure if it’s still being used.
I now work as an Admiral Nurse & the teachings my training instilled in me are put to good use everyday, person centred care always.

welcome to the forum minnie and thank you for your memories..my cousin retired a couple of years ago after working over 40 years in the NHS as a sister in the renal unit at the QE.. working most of that time at the QE hospitals..although she is now enjoying retirement she was very sad to leave as she enjoyed her job so much

lyn

welcome to the forum minnie and thank you for your memories..my cousin retired a couple of years ago after working over 40 years in the NHS as a sister in the renal unit at the QE.. working most of that time at the QE hospitals..although she is now enjoying retirement she was very sad to leave as she enjoyed her job so much

lyn
Thank you Lyn, I wonder if I ever got to work with her ?

I trained as a Enrolled Nurse at the QE from 1982/1984 group 46 would love to hear from any of my colleagues as I’m not on Facebook which is where I’m assuming most people would look.

Back