• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queen Elizabeth Hospital

I have took loads that I need to upload onto MM galleries John and there are a few more to go on here too. I got some good photo's of the Air Ambulance taking off from the pad at Selly Oak hospital.

If you have one of the front of the Maternity as it was in 1972 that would be great if you can post it. I would like to be able to print it if I may. :) Mo

I have nothing but praise for the QE, the surgeons there have saved my life twice,I had a liver transplant in 1993 and a big cancer op in 1998, I feel very lucky to be alive and if it wasnt for the wonderfull work done at that hospital I most certainly wouldnt be.

If you have one of the front of the Maternity as it was in 1972 that would be great if you can post it. I would like to be able to print it if I may. :) Mo

I dont think I have, I still have my cards with weight BP and bloods recorded on them but the brochure has long gone which had a photo of the hospital on it.

John that is amazing and great you are doing well. Keep it up, you must have a good attitude as well as good doctors.:)
I have my cards for the children when they were born as well. Mermaid.:)Mo

I have nothing but praise for the QE, the surgeons there have saved my life twice,I had a liver transplant in 1993 and a big cancer op in 1998, I feel very lucky to be alive and if it wasnt for the wonderfull work done at that hospital I most certainly wouldnt be.

John i agree with you about the QE i had spine surgery at the Neuroscience wards twice by Mr Spencer Harland to enable me to walk all be it with one stick:)Mossy

Mysterymermaid i didn't even know that they were building a new QE hospital,it looks like a fantastic building from your recent photo

Can any body tell me the location of this new super hospital:)Mossy

Mysterymermaid i didn't even know that they were building a new QE hospital,it looks like a fantastic building from your recent photo

Can any body tell me the location of this new super hospital:)Mossy

If you look to the right in this photo you can see its built just to the right of the old one, I took a couple like this to send to peeps that had moved away so they could vidualise exactly where it is.

Is it the white building centre left. Is it being built on University property? My great niece is a doctor and did some of her training there. The QE and Maternity were so modern when they were built, I am sure this will be incredible. :) Mo

John i agree with you about the QE i had spine surgery at the Neuroscience wards twice by Mr Spencer Harland to enable me to walk all be it with one stick:)Mossy
Hi. Mossy. I live close to you now at Burnham on Sea, but will allways be very very gratefull to the wonderfull staff at the QE.

Hello everyone. I'm normally a correspondent in the cinemas,theatres, and railways section; but whenever I come across matters of interest in other sections i always like to pass on the information to the relevant peoples.

Such on this occasion is the Royal Instutute of British Architects (RIBA) website and its feature on the then brand-new Queen Elizabeth Hospital in the 1930's.

The introductory link is here:

https://www.ribapix.com/image.php?=44438&r=2&t=4&x=1

If that fails, just go to the RIBA homepage and type in "Birmingham" in the search box. If you do need to do that you'll find what i was going to tell you anyway, which is not all the photographs related to the QE are consecutive. You may have to go through the whole set of 12 pages related to Birmingham in order to bring up every image:)

The new Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham which will replace the QE and Selly Oak hospitals is being built on the old car park on the QE site. It is such a stunning site which can be seen from miles around!

It looks amazing doesn't it. The best doctors I ever had, along with our present one, sorry Dr Emma, were trained at QE, they married and we were lucky enough in Witton to have them both as our GP's. They were wonderful to my mom as she grew older, I had only to ring them and they were there. They don't come like that any more.

hi all
my brother peter james stacey was born in the queen lizzie in 1957, he was a downs syndrom with conjenital heart defects and they had a long fight to save him. they told mom and dad he wouldn't see his 10th birthday, but he out lived both of them to pass on in 2002 aged 45yrs.
paul stacey

Paul I have a cousin with Downs and he is 43 and still doing very well. As we are in Canada we keep in touch with him at Xmas and birthdays as he is in a group home which he loves. His mom is now 88 his dad died when he was 1 year old. We saw him and my aunt a lot before we came over here and last saw them both in 2005. My Aunt sent a lot of photos of David at Christmas and I always send him photos when I have new ones of us all. As some of the members on the forum know I am a volunteer at a farm which is designed for people with special needs, great place. windreachfarm.org
QE has changed since our children were born in 1972 and 1975, looks great. Thanks for sharing the photos mysterymermaid. :)Mo

Back