• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queen Elizabeth Hospital

rowan

Born a Brummie
Can anyone tell me when the QE was built please and how long it took to build?
I believe that Italians laid the "Terazzo" floors (not sure if spelling is correct!).
Does anyone have names of the Italians please?

My great grandfather was Italian and laid these floors, he was also known as a "mosiac" worker, is this the same thing? I was told he helped lay the chapel floor of one hospital, need to check with family which one.

quite hard to find out more abt the building, this seems to be the opening:

Egbert the Carnival Monster was a popular character which appeared as one of the many entertainments associated with the Pageant of Birmingham in 1938. The Pageant was a celebration of the Centenery of Birmingham's Charter of Incorporation as a city, it lasted from 11th to 16th July 1938 and involved over 8000 men, women and children many of whom participated in performances for King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in the grounds of Aston Hall. The King and Queen were in Birmingham on the 14th of July to open the first part of what became the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

Hi Sheronb, thank you for your reply.
My late Father-in-law lodge with an Italian family in the 1930's and worked on the hospital with them. They lived in Coleshill Street. We believe the Grandson? of one of them had an accordian shop in Alum Rock.

what was their name? The Italian family? My great grandfather was Guiseppe Tuzio, i have just brought the book,Bella Brum, but no mention of the building of the QE, another family involved in demolition was the Ciangrettas.

Hi sheronb, their name was Sarrancini (don't know if the spelling is correct)
One was called Tony (Antonio)

I dont know that family, i had a quick look on the 1901 census,nothing there, found this Gioliano Saranicne born 1900 in births, the name could be really badly misspelt, ill have another look.
Also, you could try this lady Doreen Hopwood, she wrote Bella Brum, she also offer research services, you can email here here:[email protected]

my great grand father worked on the general hospital.

Last edited:
I worked on a number of building sites during the early 60's at a time when many "terrazzo" floors were laid in public buildings and hospitals,and never saw one actually laid.The floor layers usually Italian,would not let anyone see the secrets of terrazzo floor laying,they would work in closed areas blocked off,or at night or weekends when there would be less workers about.You could see them doing preparation work ,but when it came to the actual floor laying they would not let anyone see the process.
The terrazzo floor was used to cover large areas of floor where a hard wearing surface without joints was required.They used marble chipping embedded in the concrete which when polished and sealed produced such a surface.

Colin

The Work on the Birmingham Hospital Centre at Edgbaston began in the 1930’s on a 150-acre site which was donated by the Cadbury Family. The foundation Stone was laid in 1934 by the Prince of Wales and opened on 1938, officially opened and named in 1939 The Queen Elizabeth Hospital
and the name Birmingham Hospital Centre was dropped
Photo 1 & 2 Q.E.
Photo 3 …Q.E. Nuffield House the Nurses Residence
Photo 4 taken in 1937-8 when it was the Birmingham Hospital Centre

Last edited by a moderator:
Qe 2

Great pictures Cromwell. This is how I remember it. Had a trip down memory lane a couple of years ago. Not one square centimetre of green left anywhere. Just a concrete jungle and if it wern't for the multitude of arrows and signs you'd get completely lost in the maze.

No longer does it stand crisp and proud - just a conglomeration of bricks and mortar.
I endeavoured to find my old bedroom in Nuffield House. It seemed very posh then but it's all very shabby now. The beautiful "ballroom" is now the Medical and Nursing Library. The hospital balls were a favourite annual affair where the Nurses and the Medics had great times. I still have my original ball gown - now a museum piece. A beautiful embroidered satin in emerald green and blue, that billowed out from the waist and trailed on the floor. Great days. I'm going to starta thread of "Dancing to Live Bands/Music" NO not disco - but I hasten to add I've only just heard of Victor Sylvester.
I didn't realise this thread was here when I started a thread on QE!!!! So...there are two threads on the subject.

Back