• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Queen adelaide..hospital street.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
cracking one here of the the queen adelaide pub...demolished in 1928..this pub was at no 93 hospital st..

mike could i ask for a map please showing the location of it..would like to know the street running accross..it has a look of new summer st but there again i could be wrong...thank you mike..

lyn

Hospital_St_Queen_Adelaide_Pub_Demolished_1928_Newtown_jh_.jpg

Looks a bit of a grubby spot doesn't it Lyn? My gt grandfather lived in Hospital street for a while after his first wife died, so I guess he may have known this - I think his number was about 130 - need to check on that.

cracking one here of the the queen adelaide pub...demolished in 1928..this pub was at no 93 hospital st..

mike could i ask for a map please showing the location of it..would like to know the street running accross..it has a look of new summer st but there again i could be wrong...thank you mike..

lyn

I am informed that my great grandad William Henry Brown, ran the pub in 1915. Great Pic

I am informed that my great grandad William Henry Brown, ran the pub in 1915. Great Pic
I'm a new member, researching my family history in Birmingham. In the Census records in mid 1800's my 2G-GF Henry Mee is listed as a 'licensed victualler' at the Quenn Adelaide Inn living at 42 Hospital Street. Is this the same pub as in the photo? His father died at 93 Hospital St as well. Any help much appreciated!

Welcome Michael. Your relatives must have taken over the Queen Adelaide in 1858. Here are two press cuttings which you may not have already seen.

Can’t be 100% certain, but I’d say it’s most likely the building in the image in post #1 would have been the building your relatives would have known.

In answer to Astonesses query, the pub was at the junction with New Church Street.

Viv.

Attachments

• 31931B61-8C69-41FC-B013-60C4FEC5BCF6.jpeg
    31931B61-8C69-41FC-B013-60C4FEC5BCF6.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 07A16478-367C-463E-94AF-3751AB8F3168.jpeg
    07A16478-367C-463E-94AF-3751AB8F3168.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 10
M
Welcome Michael. Your relatives must have taken over the Queen Adelaide in 1858. Here are two press cuttings which you may not have already seen.

Can’t be 100% certain, but I’d say it’s most likely the building in the image in post #1 would have been the building your relatives would have known.

In answer to Astonesses query, the pub was at the junction with New Church Street.

Viv.
Many thanks for the clippings - not seen. I'm just starting on the Mee, Keeling and Johnston family lines in the Birmingham area.

Hi Viv
Just a follow up. Is there a map of Hospital Street and New Church Street from the period in mid to later 1800's that you could refer me to?
M

yes and even after all my years of research of that area i did not know until now that part of new summer st was originally called new church st...we never stop learning:) michael in case you wish to save the photo of the queen adelaide here it is minus the watermark

lyn

Back