• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pype Hayes Park

Well folks, I just couldn't help myself. In the nicest possible way this thread opened up so many nostalgic thoughts for me that I decided to embark on a personal "Bucket List".
I grew up very close to Pype Hayes Park and even after we moved to the Bromford Estate I worked at Cadbury Schweppes in Hanson's Bridge Road for another 10.5 years. So the park played a part in my life for a good 25 years or so.
I now live in a lovely part of Derbyshire, but I just couldn't resist it, I travelled down for the day and revisited my youth(lol). Firstly, I went into Erdington village and was staggered by the changes but that's a different thread. From there I went to the park. It's hard to describe but to me as a youngster the park was massive despite being enclosed by prefabs. Well not no more. It's tiny, and even some of the monumental landmark trees have been felled but it is still lovely. I stood outside the remains of the old farm/barn type building that sometimes used to open as a cafe selling Vimto. Happy days. I will write more about this visit on a later post but I would like to ask if anyone remembers the water drinks fountain that stood just at the entrance to the above courtyard? It even had a little trough for dogs to use. The mere thought of sharing a drinks fountain in this day and age would horrify but it never did me any harm!
ps the pond is still awesome!
speak soon,
GT

For years my aunt and uncle lived in the little close that backed onto the park. How lovely to open your bedroom curtains and have the park at the back of the garden to look out onto!!. There little dogs loved their freedom in the park too.

Was it this:
In May 1974 the body of Barbara Forrest, a child-care worker, was found in the grounds of Pype Hayes. After a long police investigation, Michael Thornton was identified as a suspect and interviewed by senior detectives. Thornton worked at the same children's home as Barbara and was eventually charged with her murder
Barbara Forrest 20 years of age in 1974 was murdered and Mary Ashford 20 years of age in 1817 was also murdered in Erdington Birmingham !!!!.both cases were never resolved !!!!!

Mike was never guilty the police had no evidence against him. As in those days they only wanted a hit whoever it was. Mike was a private man and lived in a small flat in the hall. He was a sitting duck.

Last edited:
So many links to those two poor murdered girls, although they were 157 years apart. I often played parks cricket there on Sunday's in the 70s and remember reading about the Mary Ashford case, so sad that neither case led to a prosecution.

images
images

Back