• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pype Hayes Hall Home

S

shaz

Hi all
I am a complete newbie to this site so please forgive me if i have posted on the wrong page :redface:

I have my Parents marriage certificate which states that my Mums residence was Pype Hayes Hall. I know that my oldest sibling was born before the marriage so i was wondering if this place was a mother a babys home. I would be greatful for any information regarding this hall around 1957/58.

Thankyou

Shaz:D

I went to Paget Rd school, Pype Hayes, and a few of the pupil were in residence at Pype Hayes Hall, that was in 58/59.... it was some sort of childrens home but not sure who ran it at the time, ie., was it corperation run or privately owned I couldn'y say.
Hope this is of some help.

Thankyou Jude for that information. I know my mum had worked with children before having her own, so it maybe that she worked there and was able to stay there with my older brother.
Sadly both my parents have died now so i cant find anything thing out form them.

Regards shaz

Shaz welcome to the forum :) if you type 'Pype Hayes' in the search at on the blue search band at the top of this page and click 'Posts' you will find more information about the area and pic's too.
Here's a just a sample to wet your appitite...
Carl Chinn has written an article on the district of PypeHayes.

"The Bagots, recalled in the Bagot pub, made their home at the newly built Pype Hayes Hall (sometimes known as Pype Hayes House) which dates from the first half of the 17th century. Known as the house of the 13 gables, in the early 19th centuryPype Hayes Hall was owned by the Rev. Walter Bagot. In 1919 the trustees of the Bagot family sold both it and 76 acres of the estate for ?10,000 to Birmingham Corporation. The house became a convalescent home and later a children's residential nursery whilst the grounds were enlarged in 1928 by the purchase of the remainder of the estate for ?3,0l6 to make a 113 acre recreation ground."
Pype Hayes Hall
View attachment 9874 (click pic' to enlarge)
Which was used as a Convalescent Home for disabled soldiers, after WW2 it became a Children's Residential Nursery

Last edited:
Hi Pomgolian :)

Thankyou for welcoming me to this forum & your help and advice for searching.

Regards Shaz

shaz and jennyann,

Thought I'd jump in on the subject of Pype Hayes Hall. My wife worked there as a residential children's nurse when I first came across her. We're in our eighties now and have been married for 59 years...

I don't know, shaz, whether you have clicked on to the link that jennyann gave you regarding Pype Hayes Hall's history, but in it you'll find a reference to 'Tiny', the donkey the kids used to have rides on. Tiny was part of the set-up of the home and in the care of the staff.

I have attached a picture taken during my wife's service at the hall - in about 1951. She is the one in uniform shepherding the kids, while her friend, off duty, handles - guess who? - why Tiny, the very donkey mentioned in the histories that jennyann helpfully included in her post...

Hope this may be of interest to you,

Cheers,

Jim Pedley

Jim, may I say you were a lucky man to capture such a good looking lady! And well done on your 59 years, you must have been doing something right.

davidfowler: Thanks for the compliment, david. And may I add that Joan is still as good-looking as ever, in spite of her eighty years...!!! May I add that, of course, I always did do everything right...

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim: Lovely photo of your wife, children and the favourite donkey, Tiny. The history of Pype Hayes Hall is very fascinating and I am glad to hear that your wife was working there with the children all those years ago. Congratulations on your 59 years together

i also worked at pype hayes hall between 1985 - 1995 when it was a childrens home (for difficult teenagers). it is now not a residential home but still in use for young offenders etc and offices for social services dealing with the teenagers.

Hi Jim: Lovely photo of your wife, children and the favourite donkey, Tiny. The history of Pype Hayes Hall is very fascinating and I am glad to hear that your wife was working there with the children all those years ago. Congratulations on your 59 years together

Hi, jennyann: Thanks for the compliments. My wife loved working there with the kids, and, even when we were married, used to bring one or two of them home with her for a few hours. The little girls especially loved to help her do the washing up...! (Saved me a job!).

Cheers,

Jim

I remember Tiny the Donkey very well. I can recall the names of most of the other families who were there at the same time. Their surnames were; Ullah,. Dind, Khan, Holbrooke, I can't recall the other's names. I can however, recall most of the names of the satff. If anybody has any photgraph's or further information of this period I would be very grateful if you would be kind enough to post them on this sight. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a local paper (Friday) the Hall is likely to be up for Auction :( with the condition that the new owners fully restore the property :rolleyes:

Back