• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pure Nostalgia

Maryd

Exiled Brummie
Went home to Brum a few weeks ago, and standing all alone behind the Museum & Art Gallery, was an old custard and blue bus. I think it said Pheasey Estate on the front. I believe there was some filming going on a bit further away, for something or other. The old leather barrier was drawn across to stop anyone boarding, just like the conductors of old used to do, but I felt the cold, cold, chrome bar on the running board, so redolent of winter mornings catching the no 16 from Hamstead to Colmore Row. The upholstery was the same. Would have loved a few minutes on board. I wonder what was being filmed? I remember the day for sure, as it was the day hundreds and hundreds of Romanians were queuing up to vote. (We had gone to see the Ango Saxon Hoard and at first were worried the queue was for that.

Who would have thought an old bus would have such an effect?

Mary

Hi Mary
Loved your story of remembrance of the old blue bus I also recall the colour and the buses my aunty Florence lived on the pH easy estate at the terminus
Just at about half way down the hill from the bus terminus and it was the number 29 Bus quite correct the16 to Hampstead
I was a little kid and aunty floss was posh I was her favorite nephew as mom said because she wanted to adopt me but mom
Refused and told her no even thou my mother had five already but never or less I will not say no more on that little matter
But as I said she was posh and her husband was the post masdt general at the chest on road post office sorting office
And I was a poor kid from the Poorer side family my mother came from the rich side family but to her own fault decided to run off with a poor bloke
Whom was habit of a gold digger but he came unstuck and through him her parents and her cousins tobod her
And never spoke to her in fifty years but to cut the story short as a kid living on Lichfield red at the age of eight
On a Sunday sunny morning only I walked from Lichfield red Aston cross to get to pH easy estates
So I set off and walked up to Hockleybrook from Aston cross and waited to see the bus coming down from constitutution hill
I knew it went up Soho hill and turned down Hampstead road it took me ages to walk up the hill as I was only a stitch of a nipper
And turned into Hampstead red I knew I had to keep walking straight and as I was doing that I kept looking over my shoulder
Waiting for another pheasy bus to come and see if it went straight on or turned at lozells red or straight in to Hampstead
I must say I never knew the names of the roads nor even knew the names of the area like Handsworh or Hampstead
But I knew I had to keep walking and get to the pH easy bus terminus
By the time I was at the lozells red a coper stopped me and sacked what are you doing out this time of morning
I told him I am going to my aunty he said does your mom know you are out and know where you are going I said yes
And he asked me my name and address he wrote it down in is book and on I went on my journeyleventualy I did get to pHeasey estates
Knocked on her door and she said hello what are you doing here I said I have come to see you she said come on in
Does your mom know you are here I told a lie and said yes okay she said go outside and play with your cousin Roy
He as got all his dinky cars out and playing with them he spoke posh I never different growing up back ground to mine
Then we had dinner it was a posh dinner with all her cutlery laid out like a bankquet I was watching what they used first
We never had a knife fork and spoon dinner with pudding so I tried to be posh
Got through that sereies spent the whole day there with this kid whom was Roy my posh cousin whom turned out ass he got old became an stratford
Upon Avon Thearter Actor and went on for bigger things but also in between the day Victoria road police station sent a police officer
Around to our house which was just around the corner from our house to asked and make the report that I early that morning
Was stopped and seen and question of my where about to put my mother at ease
I arrive late that evening very late in deed aunty floss put me on the bus at the terminus which was Number 29 and said put him off at Hockleybrook
Which he did and she gave me the penny for the number eight it was dark when I knocked on the door of 5/92 Lichfield red
My father and mother weren't bar my at me and was grounded from leaving the garden for months
That was just part of my memory from many years ago of the blue and cream bus
Best wishes Mary Astonian,,,Alan,,,,,

Hi Alan,Interesting. Might I know your cousin Roy's name? I'm really into Theatre, and the Stratford actors in particular, so I might have heard of him.

Regards

Mary

Went home to Brum a few weeks ago, and standing all alone behind the Museum & Art Gallery, was an old custard and blue bus. I think it said Pheasey Estate on the front. I believe there was some filming going on a bit further away, for something or other. The old leather barrier was drawn across to stop anyone boarding, just like the conductors of old used to do, but I felt the cold, cold, chrome bar on the running board, so redolent of winter mornings catching the no 16 from Hamstead to Colmore Row. The upholstery was the same. Would have loved a few minutes on board. I wonder what was being filmed? I remember the day for sure, as it was the day hundreds and hundreds of Romanians were queuing up to vote. (We had gone to see the Ango Saxon Hoard and at first were worried the queue was for that.

Who would have thought an old bus would have such an effect?

Mary
Not seen this thread before. I am sure the bus you was the one used in the WPC56 TV series. It was shot in Birmingham and the place in Margaret Street was the Police station.

Back