• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pugh Road, Aston

C

cornwall col

Does anyone know anything of the history of Pugh Road, I spent the first ten years of my life there in a back to back, Dad worked at Aston Park then Enots and Lewis's, Mom worked as a cleaner at Ansells

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Ansells

Colin. :Musicpianozang::222: What was your moms name only my brother and my husband were there for years?. Have you any names from Pugh road might jog my memory. It has got it's own site on friends reunited. TTFN. Jean.

C

cornwall col

Mom & Dad

Mom and Dad where Bert & Doris Gooch and my Mom's parents also lived in the street they were Horace and Frances Gould. we also had Bentley's outdoor (off licence), Ron & Joan Barker, Pheobee Robinson ooh cant remember any more

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Pugh road.

:)Sorry Colin. Those names didn't ring any bells. Tried to get back the other night but I think they were doing alterations to the site. TTFN. Jean. :):)

GeorgieG

master brummie
9 Pugh Road, Aston

My family of OWEN lived at 9 Pugh Road late 1880's.
Does anyone have any photos of the road.
Georgie

brummie nick

master brummie
I'd also be interested in a photo of Pugh Road in the 1880, a great Aunt gives Her address has Pugh Rd, on her marriage certificate.

H

Hilda

Pugh Road.

I didn't live in Pugh Road, But remember lots of names fron the late 40s early 50s. Taylor, Barker Wigley, Knight , Green, Norbury, Webb, Scott. Bailey, Durkin, Pye. Boyle,Beryl Mcleod who lived at the corner sweet shop, near the school. I used to go to the Methodist Church on Victoria Road.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Pugh Rd

Hi There Cornwall Col
Just Read Your Thread Asking About Pugh Rd We Used To Swing On The Railing That Was Down Pugh Rd And I Remember Afew Little Shops Along There My Old Lady Went To One Shop Along There One
Christmas And Got Us Some Toys On The Club For Christmas
Any Way Col, My Main Reason That I Thought I Would Reply To Your Thread Was You Are Connected To A Gooch Family ,
Well My Daughter Is Connected To A Gooch Family Whom Also Have Family Living In Cornwall My Daughter Is Married Toa John Gooch
And His Parents Are Harry , And Irene Gooch Sadly Harry Died A Little While Back Is It Possible There Is Any Family Connection
Mygrand Son Is Ryan , If My Memory Serves Me Right
I Think Irene Mentioned To Me Many Years Ago About Some Kind Of
Contact With Pugh Rd . Best Wishes Astonian ,;;

P

paul subhan

Does anyone know anything of the history of Pugh Road, I spent the first ten years of my life there in a back to back, Dad worked at Aston Park then Enots and Lewis's, Mom worked as a cleaner at Ansells
we lived at no 11 my motherinlaw also was born on pugh road her family owend styles shop the smith family

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI PAUL
If My MemoryServes Me Right Was,t The Styles Shop ABIT oF Clothing And Of Some Toys ,Because I Seem To Remember The Name Styles And My Mom Used To Save On A Chrismas One Year When We Was Kids
And Some Of The Houses Across The Road From There Uesd To Have Long Bars Across The Front Of ThemWhen You First Turn Into Pugh Rd , And I Used To Go To The Old Sally Army Every Sunday Afternoon
And Down To Dyson Hall For Choir Practice Then Sing For Five Shilling At The Aston Parish Church ,
Best Wishes ASTONIAN , [ Incidently I Lived By Thompson The Butchers
On Lichfield Rd And By Aston,s The Cake Shop Always Bought A Penny Bag Of Broken Biscuits There ,

C

cornwall col

Thompsons the butchers brings back memories of the animals being delivered for slaughter on the premises and the mention of Aston Parish Church were mom and dad got married and where my dad and older brother sung in the choir.
Pugh Ropa itself had Donnelly's the little grocer and an 'outdoor', which for the live of me I cant remember its name. I went to school first at Alfred Road then in Vicarage Road but spent 12 months in the annex behind the DER office/warehouse off Victoria Road

P

paul subhan

hi astonian
i remember the houses that had bars accross the front as you first turned on to pugh road . i remember an old lady lived there her name was gladis she was lovely.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI COL / PAUL
Yes I Also Recall The Old Lady She Was A lOvely Lady As You Said ,I Did,nt Know Her Name Thou She Did,nt Mind The Litle Kids
SwingingOnThe Barrs, But Some Of The Other Neibours Did They Used To Come Out And Clear Off ,
Colin Our House Was Next Door To Thompsons , You Could Hear The Pigs Sqealing Every Day I Would Asked What Time The Pigs Are Coming
I Used To Like It When Some Of The Pigs Escaped And Race Down The Lichfield Rd , And It Was QUITE Often
And I Can Recall The Der Offices And There Little Red Vans ,
My Oldest Sister Went To The Vicage Rd For Girls I Remember When I Was Little MomCame Back From Fetching Her My MomWas Going Barmy At Her
Apparently Some-How And For What Reason She Had Broken The Head Mistress ,S Arm , The Old Man Hit The Roof When He Came In From Work
And He Sent Her To Bed With out Tea ,
They Went To Fetch My Mothers Father [ AJelf ] To Come To The
Victoria Rd Police Station To Get Her Off The Hook
He Used His Postion ,Or Shouild I Say His Father,s Postion , Being
AMember Of The Crown ,To Get Them To Stop Them Charging Her ,
Living On The Lichfield Road Was The Best Years Of My Life,
It,s A Pity We Cnnot Put The Clock Back Col. May be For The Better Not
What Do You Think Col ,?. BEST Wishes ASTONIAN

A

Ann H

Re: Pugh Road.

I didn't live in Pugh Road, But remember lots of names fron the late 40s early 50s. Taylor, Barker Wigley, Knight , Green, Norbury, Webb, Scott. Bailey, Durkin, Pye. Boyle,Beryl Mcleod who lived at the corner sweet shop, near the school. I used to go to the Methodist Church on Victoria Road.
I lived facing Pugh Road next to the school up until 1957, and remember the afore mentioned, Mr Boyle kept his building equipment up our yard, and I used to play two ball with Beryl Mcleod up the side of her moms shop, do you know who I am.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Astonian as I've said before mom used to walk me from Holte road to Thompsons for the chitterling hodge etc and walk back via Ansells to watch the bottles going round. Back up Park road and through the park for a quick kick of the ball [if I was lucky]. By the time we got back I would have got through about 12" of chitterlings. My aunt would cook the pigs head for chaul by pressing it in a bowl with a saucer on top. Many's a time she woud leave the odd bone fragment in. Good old days. Jean.

The Baron

master brummie
Any one remeber a Mrs Sargent? of Pugh Rd she was the lady who ran the GREEN & GOLD CUB's opposite the Aston Salvation Army in Victoria Rd, around1948/9?
She also worked in later years at the GEC Witton, wireing items to be Nickle/ Cad plated.

H

Hilda

I lived facing Pugh Road next to the school up until 1957, and remember the afore mentioned, Mr Boyle kept his building equipment up our yard, and I used to play two ball with Beryl Mcleod up the side of her moms shop, do you know who I am.
I dont :) remember you Ann, what was your surnaame. I left Aston in 1957 to live in Great Barr. Hope to remember you. I went to Vicarage Road Infants and then to Slade Road Juniors then Fenthan Road Sec. Mod. Eileen Rose, Pauline Dalby, Maureen Branigan were in my class. at Vicarage School.

H

Hilda

Does anyone remember going to Methodist church singing at the anniversary girls dressed in white , and the concerts put on with Betty Breedon on piano and Edna Lines in charge of proceedings. I really loved those times. There was the Clarke family. the Murrays, and us the Thynnes.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI Jean
We Was Always Having That CHAUL Our Dear Old Mother Liked Her Chicklins
And The Tripe Uh , We Was Always Running Down The YardTo The Shop
I Was Known By The Staff In Thompsons ,Even The Chaps Whom Slaughtered The Pigs
I Was That Little Sole Of A Kid From The Aged Of 6 Always Wainting And Sqauting On The Floor By The Main Gates Every Day Of The Week All Day LONG Waiting
For The Pigs To Come All The Men UsedTo Stop And Talk ToMe Through The Bars Of The Gate And Some times They Would Pass Me A Small Pork Pie Off The Lift
As It Came Down FromThe FisrstFloor Of The Bakers
I Remember One Year When I Was About 8 Years Old Peter Thompson Said Were Going On Holiday This Was InThe Summer Time And It Was A Friday Night
And He Said Do You Want To Come With Us , Cor; I Said We,ll Go And Asked Your Mom,So I Jumped Up And Ran Up The Terrace To My Mom ,
She Said Hes Only Joking And She Said No Any WaY So I Cried AND wENT bACK Down The Yard But Then They Had Locked The Shop And The Gates And All Gone Home
We Used To Get The Pigs Trotters And Tails As Well We Spent A Small Fortune On There Scratching They Was Brilliant ,

A

Ann H

I dont :) remember you Ann, what was your surnaame. I left Aston in 1957 to live in Great Barr. Hope to remember you. I went to Vicarage Road Infants and then to Slade Road Juniors then Fenthan Road Sec. Mod. Eileen Rose, Pauline Dalby, Maureen Branigan were in my class. at Vicarage School.
:rolleyes:My surname was Halls, I had a sister Christine, I lived there from 1948/49 Mrs Barber owned the outdoor facing, and on the other corner was McLouds paper and sweet shop, some of the people I remember from Pugh Rd were Pauline and Malcom Hartley, Alan Heath, Tuppy Hitchens and his brother Ronnie, Alfie Beard, Peter and Pat Boyle, Ronnie Lucas ( his mother had the fruit shop the other side of the terrace to Donnelly`s ) that used to belong to Mr Taylor, Goodwins the bootmenders,
Styles shop (Mr Styles was a labour counciler) Norberry`s coal yard,
I went to Vicarage Rd senior school and left in 1956. I knew Pauline Dalby and her sister Maureen they lived the top half of Sycamore Rd:rolleyes: