• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pugh Road, Aston

Hello to all, new poster here.

I found the mention of Pugh Road by accident during a Google search, so thought I'd register and have my two pennorth;)

Someone mentioned the Coal Yard in Pugh Road.......the woman who ran it was my great aunt, Laura Bates, better known as Dinah. The Coal Yard was actually her brothers, Tom Norbury. He actually lived there. Dinah lived over the road with hubby Harry Bates (a Canadian I believe, he didnt used to talk much!).

Sorry I cant remember the house numbers, I was aged newborn to 6 years when I spent most of my time on Pugh Road!

My Grandfather and Grandmother lived next door to Dinah and Harry Bates on Pugh Road, they were Bob and Ruby Fisher. Ruby died in 1970, and that was the last time I saw my Uncle, David Fisher. My mother was Victoria Fisher and she had another brother, Kenny.

This close knit family all lived in Pugh Road up until its demolishment.

Tom, Harry and Dinah moved to Chelmsley Wood. My grandad moved just off Rocky Lane with his new wife.

I also remember Mrs Donnellys shop.......and the outdoor at the bottom of the road.

Unfortunately all my relatives are now deceased.

Hope that was of some interest!

Pugh road

Hi RobW thanks for the info can you write down some more memories for us and do you have any photographs we would be very interested to hear more thank you

Hi RobW thanks for the info can you write down some more memories for us and do you have any photographs we would be very interested to hear more thank you

Apologies......I have no photos. Dinah had books full of them, including a lot of me - but she died about 7 years ago not long after we had lost contact. A real shame.

I do remember being able to go "down the entry".....and there were more houses behind ours and a patch of open land I played on, with a few derelict houses.

I have a feeling that my Grandparents lived at 53 Pugh road and Dinah lived at 55. Tom Norbury was a toolfitter, but my Grandad, and Dinahs brother Frank Norbury both worked at Fort Dunlop.From all accounts The Vine was their local watering hole.
Frank and his wife Kath had a son, Frank junior, who I saw about 12 months ago - he is almost 60 now and the only member of the family I know thats alive apart from my Mother.

I know Frank junior has a sister (Kathleen) who married and moved to Stratford on Avon many years ago.

My mother got married in 1963 and lived at Pugh Road for about 6 months before moving to Ford Street Hockley with my Dad Bob Wardle (a native of Newstead Road Kingstanding).

Back