• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pugh Road Aston....anyone rememebr my late family ?

100%BRUMMIE.

Sadly my Father ( Maurice Tarpey ) passed away 2 years ago, and throughout his life, he spoke often about his childhood and life when living in Pugh Road Aston, Birmingham during the war. He was born in April 1933, and as far as I know grew up there for many years, going to local schools, and eventually leaving and going into the RAF Regiment, and becoming a MP whilst there. On Leaving he got a job at Garringtons foundry and a little later at Ansells Brewery, and a few pubs to make ends meet.
He didn't ever want to be out of work, which as far as I can remember, he never was. He went on to work worked for Pressed steel fishers which went on to become Fishers and Ludlows I believe, then BMC, then British Leyland ending up working on nights at Jaguar Castle Bromwich, for many years throughout my childhood meaning I didn't see much of him, during the 60's & 70's going into the 80's, until he left taking his redundency.
His Mothers name was Ann Louise Tarpey and father was James Samuel Tarpey, Known to all as "Jim", who himself worked at Ansells too for a while, then became a warehouseman near the city centre. I believe Jim my Grandad & my nan Ann, both moved to live in Great Barr around the late 50's early 60's buying a house in Tideswell Road, during the time my dad was away in the forces, moving to Tideswell Road, Beeches Estate, Great Barr where they lived all there lives together, well my Dad again joined them i believe until he got Married to my Mother, Jean Tarpey ( nee Pedley) from Birkenshaw Road Great Barr, when he eventually came out of the RAF. The eventually got a house together in Thornbridge Ave Great Barr and lived there for many years until they moved to Tamworth where they settled for many years, moving a further 2 or 3 times still in or around Tamworth. For many years my Dad, Maurice, still continued to work at Pressed Steel Fishers, Fisher & Ludlow, BMC, British Leyland and finally Jaguar all based at Castle Bromwich over the many years he worked for the same company you could say, but never left ( Got to be the mid 60's onwards) until he took his early redundancy late in life) He worked on the track as a inspector ( on inspection) and eventually became a Senior Steward there, his last position, a job he seemed to love so much, with all that it involved. Again he would go on to talk about his many friends through his whole lifetime, from the early days and his work days too ( who im struggling to remember right now) Alos, it might sound funny but he said he and his workmates formed a band on night shift whilst working at Castle Bromwich in the latter days ( he always worked nights as long as I can remember, and they practised he said every Thursday night during dinner break !) and went on about Banjo Ben, and I think, little Tommy on the washboard possibly.....makes you wonder dont it lol ? I'd love to know if anyone remembers my Dad, and a right character, Maurice James Tarpey from those days past, or his parents ( my grandparents) Ann and James Tarpey from when they lived in Pugh Road in Aston or indeed Great Barr.
I do know he went to the local school near to Pugh Road, and talked about friends of old regularly. Sadly I guess many if not any are they no longer with us, but I just wanted to find out a little more about his past, and why he lived with so many memories of Pugh Road and beyond for over 80 odd years ? Please get in touch if you remember any of them, or if anything rings a bell....Thank You so much, Stephen ( Maurice & Jeans Tarpey's Son).

Last edited:
welcome to the forum...we have a specific section for streets and roads so i will move your thread to there as you may get more response..it will only get lost under the general discussion section...

lyn

Back