• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pugh family

Deritend

My paternal grandmother Dorothy May Pugh was born in Birmingham 16/1/1895. 7 Court6 House Price Sreet. Her birth certificate gives her mother as Mary Elizabeth Pugh formerly Pugh and father as Samuel Pugh. On her marriage cert1919 to Henry Hitchcocks her father and a witness are Samuel Pugh...labourer/ illiterate? I think Dorothy was perhaps illegitimate. I can find no baptism. I have found her on 1901 census age 5 as a boarder with Samuel in home of a Hannah Pugh at Back 60 Price Street and again on 1911 census with Samuel...amongst the Turner family..Henry William Turner ( Harry) Deceased ? husband of Harriet Perkins... who appears as Samuels wife !!!! Turner was a name Dorothy used sometimes at the corner shop etc ( didn’t like name Pugh , sometimes used Green ) and she spoke of a half brother Harry and sister Rose. Addresses re early life seem to be Price Street and 81 Witton Street.
would love any info on Dorothys parents...dob/dod etc..Although Samuel appears on 1901 and 1911 census date and place of birth differ . Mary Elizabeth I cant trace. Dorothy’s daughter was named Constance Mary after her grandmother she claimed..so Mary seems correct. Unfortunately Constance , My father Albert Henry Hitchcocks b 1920 and other siblings had no recollection/ knowledge of grandparents.

I wouldn't rule out her mother being Mary Elizabeth Pugh. It would be unusual for an illegitimate child to be with their father rather than mother and Samuel does list himself as a widow on the 1901 census. Also relatives did marry.

Perhaps Samuel's 'marriage' Mary was like his 'marriage' to Harriet, unregistered. My great great grandparents lived as man and wife for 20 years before actually marrying. There's a death for a Harry Turner, Bham 1907 that could be him.

I guess she meant step rather than half as Harriet had children of that name.

There is a death for an Elizabeth Pugh registered Dec qtr 1900, aged 34.

On the 1901census I am not sure the Head of the house is hannah Pugh - it looks more like Birch and is transcribed as such on Ancestry.
1625848064525.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
On the 1911 census Samuel gives his place of birth as Gloucester but on the 1901 is is London. Is this significant??

Back