• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs on the Coventry Road, Small Heath.

Hi Scarlet
Just joined the group. I have an ancestor who ran Regents Park Tavern Coventry Rd in 1911, so its probably the same one.
Hi
I've just been catching up on some family history and came across this thread.
My family the Pillingers - lived and worked at the Regents Park Tavern from 1908 -1915.
William was the publican and he ran it with his wife Louisa and son and daughter, although other members of the family lived there too.
The Pillingers also ran a number of pubs along the Coventry Road, going out from Sheldon to Elmdon.
I sadly don't have any family photographs of the family at their respective pubs.

Hi
Can anyone help on any information on the Small Heath Bar, 182 Coventry Road. My grandfather was licencee from 1909 until 1915.
He obviously liked the area and took over the Clements Arms from 1915-1917. When Mitchell's and Butlers purchased the Greenway Arms in 1917 he moved up the road as licencee until December 1931.
Photos attached may be of interest. (Beer prices 100 years ago)

Attachments

• greenway arms 1 - 1.jpeg
    greenway arms 1 - 1.jpeg
    13.1 KB · Views: 31
  • greenway arms 2 - 1.jpeg
    greenway arms 2 - 1.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 30
  • greenway arms 3 - 1.jpeg
    greenway arms 3 - 1.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 31
Hi
Can anyone help on any information on the Small Heath Bar, 182 Coventry Road. My grandfather was licencee from 1909 until 1915.
He obviously liked the area and took over the Clements Arms from 1915-1917. When Mitchell's and Butlers purchased the Greenway Arms in 1917 he moved up the road as licencee until December 1931.
Photos attached may be of interest. (Beer prices 100 years ago)
The middle photo is Greenway. Is this the pub your grandfather ran?

The Small Heath Bar appears to have started in the middle to late 1870s. It was a beerhouse, licensed only to sell beer and cider on the premises. The street was renumbered between 1884 to 1888. Before then it was 429 Coventry Road. In the 1876 P.O. directory (probably referring to 1875), it was occupied by a Miss Quiney, confectioner, but in the 1878 directory it was William Hebblethwaite, beer retailer. It ceased being a pub during WW1. In the 1915 Kellys directory it is a beer retailer under William John Revell, but by the 1921 edition it is a refreshment room under O.H.Wood

It was a pub that only really did any trade on match days. I grew up in Small Heath and was only in it once in the 80s. Small Heath was a great place to live in the 70s/80s.

The Small Heath Bar appears to have started in the middle to late 1870s. It was a beerhouse, licensed only to sell beer and cider on the premises. The street was renumbered between 1884 to 1888. Before then it was 429 Coventry Road. In the 1876 P.O. directory (probably referring to 1875), it was occupied by a Miss Quiney, confectioner, but in the 1878 directory it was William Hebblethwaite, beer retailer. It ceased being a pub during WW1. In the 1915 Kellys directory it is a beer retailer under William John Revell, but by the 1921 edition it is a refreshment room under O.H.Wood
Thanks for the info. It helps clarify the situation, as the census states that it is a public house.
My grandfather is Charles Henry Walters, he was a publican from 1909 until his death in December 1931.
I have a note that the Small Heath Bar was also known as the Quiet House. Reasons unknown.

It was a pub that only really did any trade on match days. I grew up in Small Heath and was only in it once in the 80s. Small Heath was a great place to live in the 70s/80s.
Sad end. Do you know when the Greenway Arms was demolished?

I'm not sure. I'd moved out by that time with the occasional visit back. I would say the 90s but it could have been 2000s. It closed down years before it was demolished. No trade.

Attachments

• Greenway Demolished.jpg
    Greenway Demolished.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 26
One to watch. The current state of the Brighton Arms. Hopefully there's a future for it. Such an interesting building, pity if it should 'disappear'. Viv.

View attachment 118946
Looking at places known to me as a child yesterday. I was very impressed with the retrofitting of the Brighton pub facade. Lots of detail still there above the ground floor with sympathetic revision of ground floor. Built 1928 on finial. Does anyone know what the dolphins and crowns represent? I still have a scar on my chin from falling in the garden(only drinking Vimto!)

Attachments

• 167B82A0-1780-47F1-8656-9F8B0378E2F9.jpeg
    167B82A0-1780-47F1-8656-9F8B0378E2F9.jpeg
    1,006.8 KB · Views: 24
Hello,
You are so correct about Small Heath , I was born in Balsall Heath but brought up in Small Heath in the 60s to 70s loved the area, and the fantastic industry that was around at the time BSA, Butlers, Smiths Industries, Webster and Horsfall , Rootes, etc

Back