• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Queslet Road pubs The Old Horns,The Trees and the Deers Leap

Pete Ex Pat

master brummie
Hope you can help ?? When iused to live in Kingstandig just off Kettlehouse Road back in the 60's early 70,s these were the Pubs that me and my mates used all the time. When I say the old horns imean the old
old horns not the modern thing they got there now. I have also been told that some smart a--s has changed the Trees into a chinese resturant. Moved to the west country years ago now but would like to see some old photos of these pubs..

PS am a true Brumie was born in Tower Street of Summer Lane !!!!!!

Hi Pete from a Newtown Row lad.
Have you had a look under pubs there were pictures of the Old Horns & The Trees try the SEARCH Box top right of the main page.

There is not much you can find on this Forum on Brum:)

Hello Pete you are right it,s nearly all changed The Queslett has been done out the only one thats still as i remember it is The Deers Leap it may have had the inside done out but it still looks the same from the outside Chinese takeaway anybody:rolleyes::rolleyes::D Dek

Hope you can help ?? When iused to live in Kingstandig just off Kettlehouse Road back in the 60's early 70,s these were the Pubs that me and my mates used all the time. When I say the old horns imean the old
old horns not the modern thing they got there now. I have also been told that some smart a--s has changed the Trees into a chinese resturant. Moved to the west country years ago now but would like to see some old photos of these pubs..

PS am a true Brumie was born in Tower Street of Summer Lane !!!!!!
Hi Pete, iv lived in Kingstanding 19years, yes your`e rite the trees is now called Buffat Island!!, The Trees was that when i moved here then it changed to The scolfields, n then buffat island, shame realy,The Deers Leap is still that name as of now, where bouts the Old Horns steve? because there is a pub that is boarded up on the way to onestop before perrybarr dogs think that maybe The Boars Head though not sure as i dont drink around here, also The Sportsmans Rest is still here too

Pam it is the Boars Head that's boarded up lovely pub that was when I used to go with my parents when I was a lad, they used to meet up with Aunts & Uncles on a Saturday evening, Happy days.:)

I remember the Disco at the Trees. Used to show up all the fluff on dark clothing!

All the best Peter

Pete have just passed the Queslet on the way home via Megganes iron mongers. Will take photo's over the next week of as many as we can. There is one of the Queslet on the Queslet road thread if it is still there. Do you want one of the Deer's Leep and the Cat and Fiddle where we have just come from?. Jean.

Thanks for the info re the old horns, Good photo but this still the new Old Horns that was built late 60's the one I would is the original pub

Many thans anyway

Regards

These are some pics I've seen of an older Old Horns pub - as a child I used to be taken there when the GI's from the Pheasey Base used it....
An_old_Oldhorns_pub.jpg

OldHorns.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks thats the one I wanted to see, reminds me of back in the 60's when I used to go there for a few pints ??? The barman was a man called Ernni think he used to live in Brackenfield Road ..

Any one know why the knocked it down was it to do with the widening of the Queslet and Aldridge Roads ????

Many thanks Oldmohawk

Hi Pete,
Probably well before your time, I was taken to the Old Horns in WW2 and in the garden at the back the kids used to cadge chewing gum off the American GIs who were billeted in most of the houses on the Pheasey Estate. The phrase used to be 'got any gum chum?'
oldmohawk:)

As you say just alittle bit before me was notborn till 45 ?? But had a great time growing up in the late 50's & 60's around Kingstanding and the Pheasy, Dances up the Old Barn on a friday night
with a young bloke name Clive used to play records at full belt and only 6 old pence to go in..
Started drinking in the old Kinstanding pub when about 16 beer then 1 and a penny a pint of mild They were the days ?????

Ex Pat Pete

Sorry no the name dont ring a bell, Most of the lads I knew were from the Tree's The Deers and Old Horns and a few from the Cat & Fiddle, But I am talking about 30 Years ago +

Sorry Jean

We used to go to the discos at The Trees in Great Barr. There were ultra-violet lights there and we spent a lot of our time picking bits of cotton off our clothes which weren't visible in ordinary light but we used to have a great time there.

Chris :friendly_wink:

These are some pics I've seen of an older Old Horns pub - as a child I used to be taken there when the GI's from the Pheasey Base used it....
A_very_old_Oldhorns__pub.jpg
An_old_Oldhorns_pub.jpg
Thats the one used to be great old place my best mates Dad was bar man there for some time Ernie I think he was called
Cheers Pal for the photo !!!! Pete

We used to go to the discos at The Trees in Great Barr. There were ultra-violet lights there and we spent a lot of our time picking bits of cotton off our clothes which weren't visible in ordinary light but we used to have a great time there.

Chris :friendly_wink:
The Trees is now a World Buffet.

Ah! The Old Horns. I have stood outside those doors many Saturday afternoons for about 2 hours while Dad had his pint of Mild and visited the illegal off course bookies house opposite on the Bham side. Niblets and Vimto were my snack and drink of the day. In the Summer families came down and sat in the gardens at the back. My entertainment ? Weighing myself on that "amazing" weighing machine.

My son had rented accommodation behind Asda Queslett Rd , on a visit to him one Saturday afternoon . We called into the Old Horns . My son had got reservations about going in for a drink, as soon as we reached the bar I was at ease it had Brew X1 that was in the early noughties . You couldn't get Brew anywhere , they had it in the Bell at one time on smoothflow aghhh horrible . If I hadn't been called I'd still be in the Old Horns now drinking Brew X1 MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ah! The Old Horns. I have stood outside those doors many Saturday afternoons for about 2 hours while Dad had his pint of Mild and visited the illegal off course bookies house opposite on the Bham side. Niblets and Vimto were my snack and drink of the day. In the Summer families came down and sat in the gardens at the back. My entertainment ? Weighing myself on that "amazing" weighing machine.
ahh niblets bill i loved them but i dont think we can get them now

lyn

yes john i think you are correct they were called nibbits..i was still buying them in the late 70s

lyn

Back