• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Queslet Road pubs The Old Horns,The Trees and the Deers Leap

I used to take up my guard, right by the weighing scales, which let's say a few years before this photo and those shops were built say from 1956 onwards. So I have spent the last, at least 50 plus years telling everybody about my Niblet snack when in fact they were Nibbets. No wonder nobody talks to me!!There are images of these on retro snacks Nibbets on google. Got to admit it sound right - Nibbets. I feel a lot happier in my life now.

Before the modern shops were built as seen to the left with the butchers awning, it was a field. The first "old" shop to the left not in shot ( I have spoken about this before) was the Bonehiils Fish and Chip Shop with attached coffee bar, with the Post Office next door. Just around the corner in the group of "new" shops was an electrical shop - the proprietors were, I think, Pullingers. I bought my first vinyl 45 rpm for there. (you will have to believe this) Click-Clack by Dickie Doo and the Donts. If ever a band name needs to be revived - this is it. Play it on You Tube - but I believe there are no longer pressings available so don't go searching!!!

Of course, before Park Farm, all of that estate was a field alongside Beacon Road with just the farm cottages on the left. The next shop up Beacon Rd on the left was The Coop (Walsall) opposite Collingwood Drive junction. No other shops or pubs. Then fields again up to Barr Beacon. I can say that all our relatives from BHam suburia and inner-city used to send their kids to stay with us in the summer holidays in the glorious country side!

Hope you can help ?? When iused to live in Kingstandig just off Kettlehouse Road back in the 60's early 70,s these were the Pubs that me and my mates used all the time. When I say the old horns imean the old
old horns not the modern thing they got there now. I have also been told that some smart a--s has changed the Trees into a chinese resturant. Moved to the west country years ago now but would like to see some old photos of these pubs..

PS am a true Brumie was born in Tower Street of Summer Lane !!!!!!
How old are
I was born in tower street 2 back 26 in 1938

Not sure if anyone here can help me and just found this thread while having a google. I’m looking for a lady called Anne who ran the deers leap in the early 90’s, about 94/95 for a few years with a fella called Gerry Moore. Can’t for the life of me remember her last name. Anyone out there drink at that time and remember?

This is what these pubs looked like more recently 1) The Old Horns, 2) The Trees (soon to be a MacDonalds, I understand & 3) The Deers Leap):

1700752788039.png 1700753127539.png 1700753551690.png

thanks john...i used to play darts for the old horns and the cat and fiddle further on up..many moons ago :rolleyes:

lyn

Back