• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

RobT
I have tried to PM you to confirm who has copyright of this picture of the Stag & Pheasant. Could you try and PM me and let me know please.
Steve R

That dodgy/wonky scan is taken from Page 70 in Joseph McKenna's "Central Birmingham Pubs Vol.II" so, being a former librarian at Central Library, it almost certainly originates from the library's archive. I have a slightly better image from the same plate but it is not a great quality photograph anyway.

I assume you are the same chap who asked me about this pub via e-mail which I did answer.

Joseph McKenna states in his book that "Samuel Davis was the first known licensee in 1835." I have not researched this pub yet but I do know that a building stood on that corner long before 1835 as I have a map! However, it was NOT a pub before 1810.

I rather like my version of the Gooch Estate plan of 1875 which shows the pub as part of a larger parcel of land.

I will do a bit of work on my material but will not go overboard as I am busy on other stuff at the moment.

bromsgrove-street-stag-and-pheasant-plan-1875.jpg

bb~0.jpeg
The Welcome Inn on the corner of Wheeley's
Lane and owen Street, 1964. I am afraid I have little or no information with the majority of these pictures but no doubt Big gee or one of the others will have some details for most of them.
Remember Owen St and the Welcome. Can't remember the house number but my fathers family,the Souths, house was at the far end on the same side as the Welcome, ( may have been 26 but probably not ) Wally , my uncle, was well known for flying his homing pigeons there( he lived for his homing pigeons and my grandfather well known for his regular route around the various pubs in the area.The door on the left is the 'Outdoor' I think. Remember the ginger beer and the cockle man

Hello Stitcher
I am trying to trace a photo of a pub my Great Great Grandmother used to manage. It was the Shakespeare Inn and the address was 37 Parade according to the 1891 census. Her name was Mary Hayes. Hoping you can help
Thanks Jan
Hi Jan

I think people have been telling the wrong Shakespeare. Yes, there is the one at 31 Summer Row which is still there but I think the one you were after was the Shakespeare at 37 Parade, on the corner of Sandpits. It was a M&B beer house and closed in 1918. Alas I don't have a picture.

Last edited:
ss~1.jpeg
View attachment 61774 There are too many posts to trawl through for me to check so forgive me if these have been used recently.
I am hoping Mike or one of the others will be able to verify this one for us. I have it down as The Dolphin, Warwick Rd Acocks Green and around 1927 Mrs Alice Pagett was the licensee.
I was born in Acocks green in 1940 so this was a bit before my time but it does not look anything like the Warwick Road I remember from my childhood.
Yes this is the old Dolphin pub,looking towards olton,Dolphin lane,just past the inn on the right was named after the pub,it stood roughly where Aldi stores is now,great picture a ghost from the past,and looking so Rural,Ray Evason.

ss~1.jpeg
View attachment 61774 There are too many posts to trawl through for me to check so forgive me if these have been used recently.
I am hoping Mike or one of the others will be able to verify this one for us. I have it down as The Dolphin, Warwick Rd Acocks Green and around 1927 Mrs Alice Pagett was the licensee.
I was born in Acocks green in 1940 so this was a bit before my time but it does not look anything like the Warwick Road I remember from my childhood.
ive seen this listed as the dolphin..grandad drank here being a pool farm road resident..warwick road wasnt the width we think back 1900..the right turn after is not there yet

44~1.jpeg

This is R.J.Bradshaws Dining rooms in Dudley Street 1895. At one time the establishment boasted the best 6d dinner in town but in 1895 I would think 6d would have been expesive for a dinner. The beer served was made by Holders and was made at a brewery in Nova Scotia Street not far from Digbeth.

11~7.jpeg

This lovely old picture is The Bell in 1965. It was located on the corner of Bell Barn Road and Bristol Street, it should not be confused with The Bell Barn Tavern which just was a few minutes walk away.
I remember going in to office to get crisp an pop the bakery was on the other side of road and the old fashioned sweet shop further up

I had a look on streetview and can see the left hand image appears to be today's pub. I suppose it is better than the monstrosity in the right hand image. However in the middle image - just look at that archway, almost good enough for a palace. I look at the chimneys and wonder if there were nice open fires in the winter.

kkj~0.jpeg

The Bull's Head Coventry Road, on the right just after the Swan Yardley as you travel towards the city. I am not sure of the date but the pub was open 1890s, the one and only time I have been in the place was a farewell evening for a friend on the eve of his departure from England for a new life in New Zealand. He was one of Eddie Fewtrells doormen and the place was full of doorstaff from the Brumbeat era.

When the Bull was demolished it moved across the Coventry Rd into old police station....hence new name of Old Bill & Bull.............

When the Bull was demolished it moved across the Coventry Rd into old police station....hence new name of Old Bill & Bull.............

There is a thread about it here....

Picture
birmingham_b25_bullshead2.jpg

What happened to these unique tiled scenes of Birmingham ? Were they and other artifacts from the Woodman saved when it was demolished ? If they were, what happened to them ?
Hi..
it is a travesty what happens to all the artefacts what was in these old pubs..grade listing wasn't around then to save things like leaded Windows , etc. ...
How ever I managed to acquire 2 wall lamps from the Duncan Edwards pub in Dudley back in the 80s. .... Brass and lallic glass lamps are now in my lounge at home very nice too !

it is a travesty what happens to all the artefacts what was in these old pubs..grade listing wasn't around then to save things like leaded Windows , etc ....

Unlike the building itself, very few interiors are protected so the fixtures and fittings are often at risk - and goes to man caves via e-bay!

Back