• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

Using the only two photos I could find of the White Swan Hanley St I combined them together to make this first image. I did this for my Sister-in-Law who, together with her siblings lived there with their parents when they ran it. They were Frederick & Clara Morrall and ran it from 1941 until Frederick unfortunately died in 1947. In those days the brewery wouldn't allow women to hold a licence to run a pub so Mrs Morrall had to leave. My Sister-in-Law tells me that the brewery said her Mom could keep it if she re-married within six months!! The other photo shows her ( in the white wraparound ) with some Family members and a few regulars shortly before she vacated the premises. Although most of the pub is in Cecil St the address was Hanley St.
Frederick and Clara took over the White Swan on August 18th, 1941 when the pub's average weekly takings were £77. Within two years they had increased this to £120. True, pubs did better trade during the early years of WW2 but it would appear they had the magic touch!
By the way, although trade directories listed the White Swan in Hanley Street, the magistrate's court entered Cecil Street as the pub's address.
Unfortunately, it became a standard practice of the brewers to replace widows in their houses. However, I thought it was known as the "widow's year" so six months seems harsh.
Great pic of the Clara and the regulars - could I please use it on my website?

Frederick and Clara took over the White Swan on August 18th, 1941 when the pub's average weekly takings were £77. Within two years they had increased this to £120. True, pubs did better trade during the early years of WW2 but it would appear they had the magic touch!
By the way, although trade directories listed the White Swan in Hanley Street, the magistrate's court entered Cecil Street as the pub's address.
Unfortunately, it became a standard practice of the brewers to replace widows in their houses. However, I thought it was known as the "widow's year" so six months seems harsh.
Great pic of the Clara and the regulars - could I please use it on my website?
Because the image belongs to my Sister-in-Law I had to ask her permission for you to use it on your website. She has agreed but, I would ask you to please credit Pauline Rogers.

33~1.jpeg

In Perry Barr with this one and it is A nice picture of The Beeches in it's early years, 1950.

44~0.jpeg

This one is The Apple Tree in Dudley Street and a handwritten line on the back says the year is 1898
I'm sure the top photo of the Beeches is not in Perry Barr but at the bottom of Hoggs Lane going into Merrits Brook Lane in Northfield.

Image_28829~0.jpg

Birmingham Town Hall was completed in 1834 and this one is a picture of it.

zxc~0.jpeg

This is a section of the public bar wall showing how the tiled pictures were not hanging on the wall but were actually part of the tiling itself.

99~1.jpeg

This one shows the serving area in the public bar.
What happened to these unique tiled scenes of Birmingham ? Were they and other artifacts from the Woodman saved when it was demolished ? If they were, what happened to them ?

I remember a tiled picture of the original New Street Station in the Rose Villa in the Jewellery Quarter but when I asked about it nobody knew although one of the staff said she had heard about it.

Hello all
I am after a little help to find some pictures of old public houses for our heritage project. The first is called the Stag & Pheasant. It is reported in a local paper in 1895 as being located at Pershore Street/Bromsgrove Street. I have looked on the www.midlandspubs.co.uk but cannot find a picture. The second pub was called the Old Guy Inn Digbeth. Again the I cannot find a picture but the site does say it closed in 1933.
Any information gratefully received.

Steve R

nice one of the stag and pheasant mike...i have been after a photo of the old guy for years as it has family connections..this is going back a few years but if memory serves me correctly from a map it was sited within the area of digbeth coach station

lyn

thanks mike to be honest as this pub only closed in 1933 i am surprised there are to date no photos of it...always hopeful one will turn up one day

lyn

Mike
Post 1573 I have seen this picture before but didn't think it was the same pub as the road name Henage Street? runs down the side but in the papers it is Pershore Street/Bromsgrove Street?

Did the road layout/name change

Steve R

Sorry Steve. Yes, that is not the one on the corner of Pershore/Bromsgrove St. The one you want was at 32 Bromsgrove St

Back