• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

thanks sugar looks like the hen and chickens has had a good makeover...not been in it since it changed hands for i once feared for this old pub..nice to see it still up and running

lyn

My word Sugar I remember Ruby very well , she was certainly a lady and a very good assistant , I seem to recall she came from Ireland am I right ?
O my God yes. She only worked there part time she moved over to that pub from the lamplighter pub where she worked in for quite a few years unfortunately she passed away in 2007.

Gaffer which we now use for boss or landlord actually means grandfather so a lady boss would be Gamma. OK I'll go back to sleep now and stop nitpicking.

Gaffer which we now use for boss or landlord actually means grandfather so a lady boss would be Gamma. OK I'll go back to sleep now and stop nitpicking.
Thanks for that information I never heard of gamma but I'm afraid I still be using gaffer as that's what I've always said and its sounds better (well to me anyway) but thanks anyway.

ss~1.jpeg
View attachment 61774 There are too many posts to trawl through for me to check so forgive me if these have been used recently.
I am hoping Mike or one of the others will be able to verify this one for us. I have it down as The Dolphin, Warwick Rd Acocks Green and around 1927 Mrs Alice Pagett was the licensee.
I was born in Acocks green in 1940 so this was a bit before my time but it does not look anything like the Warwick Road I remember from my childhood.
i remember a building set further back from the road and a darker brick,grandad lived poolfarm so was in dominoes team and somehow team at red lion

Thanks for that information I never heard of gamma but I'm afraid I still be using gaffer as that's what I've always said and its sounds better (well to me anyway) but thanks anyway.
I've always used "Gaffer" for male and "Missus" for female.

O my God yes. She only worked there part time she moved over to that pub from the lamplighter pub where she worked in for quite a few years unfortunately she passed away in 2007.

We got on very well Sugar, a very quiet spoken genuine woman . Thinking back I think the reason we got on so well was , my Mother was Irish also , a sort of kindred of spirits I suppose . I'm very sorry to hear of her passing though , truly a lovely woman

We got on very well Sugar, a very quiet spoken genuine woman . Thinking back I think the reason we got on so well was , my Mother was Irish also , a sort of kindred of spirits I suppose . I'm very sorry to hear of her passing though , truly a lovely woman
Thank you for your kind words .my mum was quiet but she stood her ground especially when our dad use to come and bring her home in the evenings he use to stand at the bar and expected my mum to serve him before all the other men waiting to be served and of course she made him wait his turn ha ha !

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind words .my mum was quiet but she stood her ground especially when our dad use to come and bring her home in the evenings he use to stand at the bar and expected my mum to serve him before all the other men waiting to be served and of course she made him wait his turn ha ha !

Ha ha I would love to have heard that

Any news on this? Will it be demolished or has it been saved? I was a barman there between 2003 & 2004 -- James :)

Last time I passed the pub it was 'To Let' so we can only hope. Apart from anything else it's an attractive building which is more than can be said for many in the High Street.

Does anyone know if the Endwood in Handsworth Wood is sill there? It used have a nice garden area with tables and benches. before I was old enough my mates (2 years older) would get beer for me and bring it outside.

Does anyone know if the Endwood in Handsworth Wood is sill there? It used have a nice garden area with tables and benches. before I was old enough my mates (2 years older) would get beer for me and bring it outside.

My parent's house was not far from The Endwood, it was closed some years ago but the building was still there.
I haven't been up to Brum for a couple of years but the last I heard was it had been bought to convert to a Mosque - maybe someone else can update on this?

My parent's house was not far from The Endwood, it was closed some years ago but the building was still there.
I haven't been up to Brum for a couple of years but the last I heard was it had been bought to convert to a Mosque - maybe someone else can update on this?

Hi A Sparks,

I drove past there around two or three weeks ago & there was very little going on that I could see as it was all fenced off. Yet again another traditional pub gone to the wall. As Richard Dye said in an earlier post, it used to be a lovely pub with a welcoming interior and a well maintained exterior area for families to enjoy. I'm told that many years ago it had a bowling green but, I don't recall it.

Lozellian.

Thanks @LOZELLIAN It's sad isn't it - if it takes as long to convert as the Mosque near the Hockley flyover took to build then it could be years!
We moved to Handsworth Wood in the late 60's but I don't recollect there being a bowling green either.

Back