• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

Hi All
Does anybody have pictures of the following pub's * The Oakfield Tavern*,*The Lord Nelson* & *Ye Old Gate Inn* or* Ye Old Garden Gate Inn*
All in Booth Street Handsworth between Watt Street and Chapel Street and demolished in the 70's the last to go being the Gate!
All my first watering holes in the 60's
Keep Smiling
Regards
Rich
Hello Rich, I'm sorry have not got back sooner, been trying to hunt down the picture of "Ye Old Gate Inn Pub" for you,
well apparantly my dad has got a photo of them getting married at The Gate, so I will get it, but I don't think there is much
of the pub on it's own. It was my Grand Parents who were the licencee's Horace and Lilian Gibson, they had Three Children
Hazel, Eunice and Ron. You would think that there is a picture some where in our Family. Deb (djf)

I cant do a photo of Ye Old Gate Booth St at the moment, but I can do one of the Oakfield Tavern & one of the Lord Nelson.

Carolina

Is it a photo of The Woodman on the corner of Well St - Barr St that you are looking for?

Attachments

• Handsworth Booth St Lord Nelson.jpg
    Handsworth Booth St Lord Nelson.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Handsworth Oakfield Tavern Booth St.jpg
    Handsworth Oakfield Tavern Booth St.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 63
  • Hockley Great Hampton St The Woodman Inn.jpg
    Hockley Great Hampton St The Woodman Inn.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 64
Hi Deb.
Had few cool pints of Davenports bitter with my dad in the bar ... cannot remember the licencee that was there when dad worked there what i do remember is that he died whilst on holiday in Spain ( in the late 60's or earlt 70's) and the kerffule in getting him back to the UK ... in fact I think he was buried in Spain ? I also have a few pictures (somewhere ) in side the lounge and in the side yard.
Regard Rich
Keep smiling

Hi Deb.
Had few cool pints of Davenports bitter with my dad in the bar ... cannot remember the licencee that was there when dad worked there what i do remember is that he died whilst on holiday in Spain ( in the late 60's or earlt 70's) and the kerffule in getting him back to the UK ... in fact I think he was buried in Spain ? I also have a few pictures (somewhere ) in side the lounge and in the side yard.
Regard Rich
Keep smiling
Hi Rich, what a terrible thing to happen, well i'm going back a little further than the 60's, my Grandparents were there
must be 1950.s, I hasten to say I was not born till later (try 1964), I do remember Mom and Dad taking me to see
the Gate before it was knocked down. My Uncle has told me they left there when he was 15 years old, needless to say
he is in his 70's now. I,ll keep searching for a photo. Deb

Hi Deb . What was your grandparents surnames ? Looks like your Uncle and I may know each other as we are about the same age I am 71 (really on 21lol) Regards Rich Keep Smiling

Hi Dek. Not an electrician ... plumbers mate/Electro Plating Jig maker ... Bus Conductor/Driver(8yrs) ... Policeman (30yrs) ... Regards Rich Keep smiling

Hi Deb . What was your grandparents surnames ? Looks like your Uncle and I may know each other as we are about the
same age I am 71 (really on 21lol) Regards Rich Keep Smiling

Hi Rich. that would be a turn up for the books, There Surname is ( was if you get my drift ) Gibson, My Uncle is Ron Gibson, Don't think he would mind me saying the (mad hatter) one in the family, can always make you laugh, Anyway hope this helps and have a good day. Deb

RICHMOND.jpgScanned Image 31.jpg

Subject: The Richmond, Stechford/BGE...bombed by Hitler, unsuccessfully, but now demolished and a Medical Centre...once home to my Dad, Uncle Bob and me...Bowling Club stalwarts....plus Syd Vernon - Gaffer extraordinaire (see Photo...3rd from Right)

Question: Just found this in my Uncle Bob's effects...seems to be part of a strange clay pipe ritual of the day....a few years before I was ever initiated...anyone help me out here?

Last edited:
A couple of my old locals from the 60's, both on Vauxhall Rd Nechells. The Adelade Arms and just across the road a new house The Ashted Hamlet. One Ansells and the other M & B, but it made no difference to me as I was never a beer drinker.

Attachments

• Nechells Ashted Hamlet.jpg
    Nechells Ashted Hamlet.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Vauxhall-Adelade-Arms-Vauxhall-Road-Ansells-24-7-1961-[1].jpg
    Vauxhall-Adelade-Arms-Vauxhall-Road-Ansells-24-7-1961-[1].jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 62
Ring Of Bells Church Road Yardley is finally in the process of demolition to make way for new housing.

DOG AND PARTRIDGE  BLOOMSBURY CRESCENT.jpgDon't remember this the address is given as Bloomsbury Crescent can't find it thought it might be off Bloomsbury Street theres a road name above the pub but I can't read that either

A couple of my old locals from the 60's, both on Vauxhall Rd Nechells. The Adelade Arms and just across the road a new house The Ashted Hamlet. One Ansells and the other M & B, but it made no difference to me as I was never a beer drinker.

Spilled most of it eh Phil?

Last orders please Gentlemen!...Ringers now been and gone and gorn...as of today 11th Sep...NY Twin Towers anniversary...RIP...boo sob...

Ring O Bells demo 2.jpgRing O Bells demol 1.jpgBells 1950.jpgBells Yardley  1899.jpg

Berniew, The Dog & Partridge was on Ashted Row and the corner of Windsor St Nechells. It was just in front of the Co Op workshops on Great Brook St. It survived until quite recently when I heard it had closed down. For many years it continued to bear the Ashted Row street name plate even after there was no Ashted Row.

Attachments

• Nechells Ashted Row Dog & Partridge.jpg
    Nechells Ashted Row Dog & Partridge.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 42
Back