• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

I have been looking for a picture of The Lord Nelson pub in Thorp St. where my Nan was born in 1900. They moved before 1901 census but I have her birth certificate. Also other relatives lived there before this.
In previous years my Grandfather was at The Duke Of York in Duke St. I don't know how long he stayed!
There isn't anything on the Thorp St. thread, but I know it was almost opposite the Barracks, The Birmingham ballet people are on that site now.
Any help would be appreciated!
rosie.

I have just bought a book from the car boot,by Whitbread early 40's and it mentions the Marshall Foch, Birmingham,does anyone know where this pub was.

John, Does the book say it was in Birmingham or close to Birmingham as I can't find any trace of it in Kelly's?

Hi John Found the Marshall Foch LH 184 Corporation Street Licensee Charles Whittle in the 1921 Kellys Hope This helps Regards rich Keep Smiling

Many thanks Rich.
Hello Phil, as you can see my query has been answered,but here's the page in question, the book was published in 1948, but is a little mine of information.
Thanks for yourattempt.
Regards John.06-06-13 109.jpg

John, You know where 184, its on the corner of James Watt St just around the corner from where you used to work. It was a Yates Wine Lodge for a few years recently. I haven't a clue what it is now.

Attachments

• City Corporation St - James Watt St.JPG
    City Corporation St - James Watt St.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 108
John, You know where 184, its on the corner of James Watt St just around the corner from where you used to work. It was a Yates Wine Lodge for a few years recently. I haven't a clue what it is now.

Interesting old trolley bus in the picture which I think would date it pre WWII

In case it is of interest. according to the electoral rolls it remained The Marshall Foch Hotel till 1930. From 1935-39 it was The Court Restauraunt

Hi I maybe able to help you with a picture of the Old Gate Inn, I'm wright in thinking it had a bowling green behind it?
My Grandparents ran the pub. They had Three children Hazel, Eunice and Ron, the picture was possibly taken in the 1930 or 40's,
I will post it as soon as my Father can find it. I do hope this is of help.

Hi djf You are right about the bowling green .. My father worked as a barman (part time) during the 60's & early 70's ..Thanks for the reply looking forward to any pic's you may have. All the best Rich Keep smiling !

hi,Forum..is it possible..to see if there are any photos of 3.Pubs..i am searching for..1st..the Castle..[Leopold st] The Star in gooch st..& the Nags Head..all in highgate,..also any pic,of the old Cobbs club..on the Bristol rd..Many thanks in Advance..*..*

With ref to the trolley bus in post #937, it looks like 4823 on the plate which I have listed down as a Roe/Railless, this was one of a batch of 12 introduced in 1922 being the first top covered double-deck trolley buses in the UK. They were withdrawn between 1930 and 1932.
Hope this helps.

Rob.

Christy, Here is a photo of the Star on Gooch St, and a rather bad photo of the Castle in Leopold St St. As a youngster I heard the Nags Head mentioned loads of times and I assume that it's a local name for a pub of another name. Perhaps you can tell me the correct name and the location.

Attachments

• Highgate Star Inn Gooch St - Hope St (2).JPG
    Highgate Star Inn Gooch St - Hope St (2).JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Highgate Leopold St (2).jpg
    Highgate Leopold St (2).jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 71
Hi Christie, please don't get me wrong, I'm not sure I can help, as it is only what I have been told about the Gate Pub in Handsworth, that my
mother has told me and some info I can possibly pass on to others. Up to a point I'm also in the dark as my mom past away in 2008.
I hope you find what you are looking for, best wishes Deb.

What Gate Pub are we actually talking about the one in Booth Street, or the one in Handsworth Wood/Hamstead? Carol

Last edited:
Christie, Would your third pub be the Nags Head on Irving Street, Lee Bank that's pretty close to Highgate.

Attachments

• Lee Bank Irving St Nags Head.jpg
    Lee Bank Irving St Nags Head.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 61
Hi Carolina . The "Gate" I am referring to is the Old Gate Inn Which was a Davenports House in Booth St. The "Gate" in Hamstead is the Garden Gate and if my memory serves me right the 1st licensee was named Ford (cannot remember his 1st name ... a cousin of my worked there for a short time in the 60's,,, Regards Rich Keep Smiling

Hi. The Garden Gate Hamstead Opened in 1961 and the licensee was a ex marine named Robert (Bob) Ford his father was Ernie Ford who was one of the "Old Un's" who educated me in partaking of the amber ale in together with playing 5's & 3's in the bar of the Oakfield Tavern .... Happy memories...... Regards Rich Keep Smiling

As you have not specified a year this is from the 1950 directory
Nags Head Mrs Florence Gunn 31 Charles Henry St,
Nags Head Wm Fredk Millward 205 Irving St,
Nags Head J R E Walker 298 Monument Rd 16,

Christy, Here is a photo of the Star on Gooch St, and a rather bad photo of the Castle in Leopold St St. As a youngster I heard the Nags Head mentioned loads of times and I assume that it's a local name for a pub of another name. Perhaps you can tell me the correct name and the location.

Christy hasn't answered but I assumed it was the Nags Head Irving St as that was the closest to Highgate and I posted a photo of it a few posts back.

This old picture of the Waggon and Horses was an eye opener to me as it says Lyndon End which I always thought was more Sheldon area. Lyndon End was where my gt gt grandfather was born.

Lyndon End Wagon and Horses.jpg

Carolina, As Birmingham expanded it took in all those minor hamlets like Lyndon End, Lyndon Green, Gilberstone and Wells Green under its wing as the Sheldon postal area, as I suppose it was the biggest village of them all at that time. Though I believe the local names are still used.

There are a couple of Woodmans on here, but I dont think this one is which by the Jewellery Quarter.

Woodman Jewellery Quarter..jpg

Last edited:
Back