• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

Stitcher

You got the wrong location for the "Old Mo" the one in the photo is the one my old mate Don (may he rest in peace) used to manage in the 60's before he had the accident that crippled him. It's located half way up Tindal St off Edward Rd.

Stitcher

You got the wrong location for the "Old Mo" the one in the photo is the one my old mate Don (may he rest in peace) used to manage in the 60's before he had the accident that crippled him. It's located half way up Tindal St off Edward Rd.
Correct sir,i had many a good night in that pub,with many a stopover,in fact the only time i recall it being closed was after normal hours on a Sunday lunch,this was in the mid to late 70's when i used it.

oldroddy

The Old Mo has a reputation as one of the best back street pubs in Birmingham, this reputation was made by Don Marlow and has carried through until today. After his accident Don was no longer capable of working behind a bar for long hours so he became Human Resource for a large meat processing firm, and became the secretary of the Brunswick Club on Moseley Rd until he passed away. The club closed shortly afterwards.

I am sorry about that Phil, I only go by what is written on the postcard or photo.

Stitcher

No need to apologise to me, as I have done much the same myself on numerous occasions. The only time you can trust information that comes with a photo is when you know it to be true because you know the location.

Phil

Yes I know Phil but it is annoying and it makes one wonder if the wrong information is added to an image on purpose.

Big Gee, Re. #590, my humble apologies sir because whilst having lunch in South Wales yesterday it was pointed out to me that I had made a mistake. The Freeth Arms was on the corner of Icknield Street and the pub I gave the location of was 'The Standard' (AKA) The Cuckoo.

Stitcher

What I put it down to is some of the compliers of the photographic history books use researchers instead of doing the work themselves. In most cases these are youngsters with no personal knowledge of the areas being covered so a lot of their work relies on what is found in books and this can often be misread.

You can bet on finding at least two to three errors in every pictorial history published, then this is compounded by people who scan these books and then in error add further wrong titles.

oldroddy

The Old Mo has a reputation as one of the best back street pubs in Birmingham, this reputation was made by Don Marlow and has carried through until today. After his accident Don was no longer capable of working behind a bar for long hours so he became Human Resource for a large meat processing firm, and became the secretary of the Brunswick Club on Moseley Rd until he passed away. The club closed shortly afterwards.
Thanks for that info,i went into a club on the Mosely Road a few times,not sure of the name,i used to go with some of the lads that either came from,or worked in Balsall Heath,at that time i was staying at my grandma's on Edward Road,having moved from Aston.

Big Gee, Re. #590, my humble apologies sir because whilst having lunch in South Wales yesterday it was pointed out to me that I had made a mistake. The Freeth Arms was on the corner of Icknield Street and the pub I gave the location of was 'The Standard' (AKA) The Cuckoo.

No worries, Stitch. It was so long ago it's just a dim memory now. My friend had a bed-sit about 50 yards up City Road and we'd have a bit of crawl around the local pubs from time to time. I didn't drive in those days and had to get home on the No 11 Outer Circle.

Big Gee

Oldroddy the club I'm talking about was a private members club it was next door to Tindal St Old Boys and just up the road from the Labour Club. All three of them are gone now.

Oldroddy the club I'm talking about was a private members club it was next door to Tindal St Old Boys and just up the road from the Labour Club. All three of them are gone now.
Probably the labour club that i went in then,shame thing's are not as they were in so many way's,had some good time's when i lived that area,saw a lot of life,i actually lived diaganally acrss the road from the Coach and Horse's,thank you once again for your input,regards Rod.

The Warstone on the corner of Warstone Lane and Icknield street. Mid to late 1960s..jpgAbout the mid. 60s.
The corner of Warstone Lane and Icknield Street.

the-victoria-pub-John Bright Street..jpgThe next half a dozen or so of my pub pics are a little unfamiliar to me so I hope I have the correct name with each one.
The Victoria, John Bright Street.

The Victoria is very close to the Alex Theatre Stitch., quite a gay place now I believe :topsy_turvy:

Thanks for that Charlie, a few of the pics I have saved until now have either the pub name but no address, or a street name but no pub name. I will do my best with them and I have more with all the details for later.

The Royal in Cornwall Street.jpgThe Old Royal.
Junction of Church Street and Cornwall Street.

Stitcher,

Many a happy hour I've spent in there. One of the best pubs left. Although as you know it's relatively new compared to others on the thread. My particular haunt years ago was the Temple Bar Lower Temple Street, memories of drinking with west midlands finest on saturday nights.

Regards

David

Have you got a picture of The Old Nelson in Great Lister Street? Going through my family tree I came across the name, I believe one of my ancestors either kept the pub or lodged there.

Hello David, I have never been a drinker in all my 73 years but I did spend many hours on pub doors when I was younger. For this reason I am only familiar with those pubs that staged music events in the 60s and 70s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello earlgary, if I come across one as I go through my pages I will post it for you.

earlgary

I'm sure there is a photo of the Old Nelson on the forum, but just in case it is one of the ones that was lost here it is again.

Phil

I found these other two so I added them to the post

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Nechells Lister St - Rupert St[1].jpg
    Nechells Lister St - Rupert St[1].jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Nechells Great Lister St (2).jpg
    Nechells Great Lister St (2).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 113
raven.jpg
The Raven Weoely Castle just prior to it's demolition.

Thanks for the pictures of The Old Nelson. Can always depend on this forum to come up with the goods.

WOW!! The old Raven Pub do you know Stitcher I remember as a kid seeing that car park full to overflowing most Week Ends and I did't even know it had been demolished, so sad do you know when it was??
paul

Hello Paul, it has been gone for about three or four years I think, it was demolished to make way for more houses.

Back