• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

img075.jpg
I know I have posted earlier on this thread about Deritend and the following pubs but I have come across a few better photo's so I am putting them on
This is Deritend High street about 1885, which was at that time a part of the Parish of Aston, becoming part of Birmingham well into the 19th century. The church is St. John the Baptist, a daughter church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Aston. Founded in 1381, the church was re-built in 1735.The pub is The Golden Lion Inn which was built around 1600. At the turn of the century it was dismantled and re-erected in Cannon Hill Park where it still stands today. The Church, St. Johns was completely demolished in 1947 after being badly damaged in an air raid in 1940

I take it the old pub is the black and white building on the hill over looking the lakes in cannon hill park as a child and boy played a lot there with dad when we lived in Edgbaston, never realising it was an old pub,
paul

They keep saying they are going to do a lot of work renovating the old pub but they do not seem keen to start. I do not know who THEY are exactly but whoever they are it has been put forward several times but the work is never started.
stitcher

Five more old monsters in or near to the city that have all gone now, but not forgotten.

Phil

The Sydenham Hotel, Edgbaston St, The Argyle, Suffolk St, The Bell Inn Phillips St, The Bell Inn Bristol St, The Royal George, Park St.

Attachments

• City Sydenham Hotel Edgbaston St.jpg
    City Sydenham Hotel Edgbaston St.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 100
  • City Argyle Suffolk St .jpg
    City Argyle Suffolk St .jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 102
  • City Bell Inn Phillips St .jpg
    City Bell Inn Phillips St .jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 97
  • City Bristol St Bell Inn.jpg
    City Bristol St Bell Inn.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 94
  • City Digbeth Royal George (old).jpg
    City Digbeth Royal George (old).jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 99
Brings back memories Carolina when I was going steady with my first boy friend. {Steady one that is }. Patty will remember. Jean.

Lyn

Here is The Kingstanding in all of it's three lives, I'm afraid that I never used any of them. It was a bit too far off the beaten track for me and I would have never have made it home from way out there.

Phil

Attachments

• Kingstanding.jpg
    Kingstanding.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Kingstanding Original.jpg
    Kingstanding Original.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Kingstanding,  Kingstanding Rd Kingstanding.jpg
    Kingstanding, Kingstanding Rd Kingstanding.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 112
I had a look on streetview and can see the left hand image appears to be today's pub. I suppose it is better than the monstrosity in the right hand image. However in the middle image - just look at that archway, almost good enough for a palace. I look at the chimneys and wonder if there were nice open fires in the winter.

img126.jpg
The Bell Hotel, No. 60 Lozells Road about 1900. Because of it's unusually large size, The Bell was able to have a billiards room, stage smoking concerts, (whatever they were) and accomodate The Lozells Debating Society meetings every Sunday evening.

What a treat, a proper pub.They also advertise pool,I thought that was an American game,something else they must have pinched.

Hello Ray, by all accounts they played pool and another game called pyramids, and both of these games were the forunners to snooker.

img127.jpg
This is/was The Kings Head in Allison Street Digbeth in 1906. It was at one time a Home Brewed Beer pub.

Apparently pool is a general term covering a number of variants (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pool_(cue_sports) ). According to this the original american game was played without pockets. i note that the proper term for pool is "pocket billiards" , though I had always thought of that as meaning something a little different!

thats a great pic of the bell hotel...a new one to me..mike i wonder if you could pinpoint number 60 lozells road on a map please..would love to know exactly where the bell was situated..

thanks mike...

Back