• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

No, I can't either.
I would like to see the Wellhead Tavern ones as I went to junior school with a lad whose father was the manager at that time (late 50's/early 60's)

These two photos are of the Cromwell Arms,Cromwell Street, Nechells, the first one 1939,showing our house next door,with the licensee standing in front of the pub.
The second one taken approx. 1954,showung the start of demolition and what's left of our house.normal_Cromwell_Arms_Pub_x_2.jpg24-01-12 005.jpg

Lyn install Google Chrome, all images will then show up,it's much faster than IE,you can work with them both, but Chrome is better.

Hello Ray, I have never been in that one but I have always thought it looks impressive whenever I drive past it.

Hello john, what lovely old pictures, I sometimes wonder what it must have been like to be a drinker in these old rough looking establishments. It could not have been too bad because many of them survived for years and years,
stitcher

Last edited by a moderator:
Stitcher, from what I heard from the noises coming from the pub it must have been pretty rowdy,(our bedroom was next to the concert room upstairs in the pub,) Christmas was a particularly noisy one,but all in good fun I may add.
I was in the outdoor once when a Mr Stevens (who lived up the entry back of us) came in and said "give us 12 pennies, I'm going to gas myself",
next morning they were carrying him down the entry,he'd done it.

Lyn

If you prefer the browser you are using now you can install one of the others that work with this site and only use it on here and use your other browser for anything else that you do. That is what I do and it works out fine.

Phil

We are google chrome but my photo is not showing. Will forward it to someone to see if they can put it on, Jean.

thanks for the advice john and phil.i do prefer the browser i am using at the min ive had google chrome before and didnt like it much...will get my son to set it up though just for this site and see what happens although jean said shes on google chrome and still cant see her pics..

cheers

lyn

Last edited:
the problems ive got is, everything works, ive tried 4 browsers now even a random Chinese one on my tablet.
The pictures always work, there is nothing i can do to the server to make them work on each machine, it's a cache problem.

see it either works or it doesn't.

you may need to log out (of the site) clean your cookies and cache, temp internet files and reset your browser settings.

once his is done the pics will work, try pressing the CTRL key and then F5 do this a few times. this forces a refresh.

your ISPS may also be forcing you to use what they call a transparent proxy this is a server side cache setting: see here
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/743491

I am seeing photos when using Chrome OK.

And I am seeing photos when using IE9.

If someone insists I will fire up Firefox and try that as well?

john knight, hello again john, I could not even begin to pretend I understand the noise problem your family must have had in those days and what a sad story about the man gasing himself. That is why I am surprised that many of these establishments lasted for so many years, they also looked to be in need of repair when they were in their hayday as well.
stitcher.

We are google chrome but my photo is not showing.
Hi Jean - Is this the photo in post #322 you cannot see ? Phil

Jeans_Table~0.jpg

That's the one OM - I tried to post it for Jean but had no luck. .

Hi Bernie,
All that was wrong with Jean's post was that her image link did not have
enclosing it. When she comes back on we can advise what she needs to do if she wants to edit her post.
oldmohawk
ps You can see image in her post if you left click on her link.

Hi Bernie,
All that was wrong with Jean's post was that her image link did not have
enclosing it. When she comes back on we can advise what she needs to do if she wants to edit her post.
oldmohawk
ps You can see image in her post if you left click on her link.

It opened for me I use Chrome.Dek

Hi Dek,
I always use Chrome.
Jean had only got a link to the image in her post. She needed the
to turn it into an automatically showing photo in her post.
Her link is ok but needs a click to make it open and point to the image.
I do use sometimes Firefox when I want to copy a Youtube video, because it has a plugin which does it with one click.
oldmohawk

OM I had tried to add photos to Jeans post both via Coppermine and the 'old' way but no luck. That is why I put the bare link.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

OK Bernie - I had assumed that Jean had posted it, but I've just looked at the member list in Coppermine and can see she has never uploaded images there.
To get the pic in my post I had copied the link from her post and wrapped the image indicators around it.
oldmohawk

img059.jpg

The Cross Keys, on the corner of Erdington High Street and Station Road in the 1960s. Note the man on the ladder which was an advert, and has been discussed on another thread a long time ago.

Phil and Bernie whatever you have both done thank you and that is the photo Ray Barrett was on about of The Wellhead Franchise street. My granddad is bottom row first gent with bowler hat on. Jean.

Last edited:
When they built pubs in the days that these five City houses were built, they built them to last and what did we do we came along and demolished them. Just to build wider roads to get nowhere faster.

In no particular order, The Tanworth Arms Moor St, The Birmingham Arms Moat Row, , The Old Stone Cross Dale End, St Martins Hotel Jamaica Row, The Red Lion High St.

Phil

Attachments

• City Tanworth Arms Moor St.jpg
    City Tanworth Arms Moor St.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Birmingham Arms Moat Row.jpg
    Birmingham Arms Moat Row.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 117
  • City  Old Stone Cross Dale End.jpg
    City Old Stone Cross Dale End.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 115
  • City Jamaica Row St Martins PH.JPG