• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

Shortie. I suppose its a miracle then that the Endwood is still standing!

This info is new to me about the Boars Head - maybe others know this already - but there have been 3 Boars Heads! There was a predecessor to the first photo in #267. Here's a link to a sketch on the Digital Handsworth site. According to the site the first BH dates back to 1758. Quite a modest place by comparison to the later build

https://www.search.digitalhandsworth.org.uk/engine/resource/default.asp?theme=172&originator=%2Fengine%2Ftheme%2Fdefault.asp&page=&records=&direction=&pointer=1700&text=0&resource=1493

There,s also been three Scott Arms and that,s just in my life time. Dek

thanks for the pics of the boars head phil..i must try and find the one i had of the very first one..

lyn

There,s also been three Scott Arms and that,s just in my life time. Dek

Thanks Dek. You started me off thinking a bit more about why so many have been re-built. I suppose pubs in more developed areas have tended to be re-developed when the area changes, maybe to cater for more customers as housing increases or to meet greater demand for accommodation when transport links are developed. Possibly that's why there're many more older pub buildings in villages or the countryside. Not thought about it before. But I think it's interesting to look at the different buildings of the same pub over time - unfortunately not always for the better.

Lyn. Be good to see the original Boars Head if you can find it. It takes us quite a bit further back in its history. Viv.

racking my brains as to where i got the older pic viv..must have been at least 2 years when i posted it on the forum..cant find it in my pic files but will keep searching.

This Boars Head pic was lurking on one of my computer drives - it looks an old pic.
Boars_Head.jpg

Thanks Oldmohawk. This is Boars Head version #2 built in the 1800s and replaced in 1937 by the present building. The view is 1906 and must be looking across what is now the Aldridge Road. Rather less busy in those days! The Boars Head on the advertising board (or wall)!is the crest of the Goughs of Perry Hall. Viv.

Some Handsworth Giants,

1. The Uplands
2. The Ivy House
3. The New Inns
4. The Red Lion
5. The Farcroft

Handsworth Oxhill rd The Uplands x.jpg

Handsworth Soho Rd Ivy House  .jpg

Hansworth New Inns Soho Rd.jpg

Handsworth Soho rd The Red Lion.jpg

Handsworth Rookery Rd The Farcroft.jpg

Last edited:
img036.jpg

1867 in Park Street Digbeth, and the results of the Murphy Riots a couple of days before make it unrecognisable as a pub. It is the building next to W. Broughtons Stables and it was named the Old Phoenix Inn.

Thats correct jukebox but the photo is from 1950 so it was the Man In The Moon.

HI LYNN; AND STICHER ;
Does anybody recall the belle vue pub ; on the corner of wheeler street and gerrard street around the 1969 era ;
and is it possible some one may have a picture of this pub a couple of doors from that pub on wheelers street was a cafe and my dear old friend ray and breeda lived there in the house next to the cafe they went out one day only to find the fire service was attending there house as it burt down
i used to you that pub in my younger days ; it would be great if some one as got one ; thanks alan ; astonian

hi alan you can just see the belle vue on the corner by the no 8 bus..sorry its not a better pic of it for you..

lyn

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyn & Alan

This is a half way decent photo of the Bell Vue Inn on Wheeler St was it? I have no doubt that I will be reinstating it somewhere later as I just know I have posted this before.

Phil

Attachments

• LozellsBelleVueInnWheelerSt[1].jpg
    LozellsBelleVueInnWheelerSt[1].jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 46
Three more good old pubs (at one time) all in Yardley Wood all gone now. Have they got any pubs left in Yardley Wood now? The Warstock, The Valley, and The Haven.

Attachments

• YardleyWoodTheWarstock[1].jpg
    YardleyWoodTheWarstock[1].jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 45
  • YardleyWoodYardleyWoodRdValley[1].jpg
    YardleyWoodYardleyWoodRdValley[1].jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 47
  • YardleyWoodHavenSchoolRd[1].jpg
    YardleyWoodHavenSchoolRd[1].jpg
    117 KB · Views: 52
thanks for the belle vue pic phil..ive also posted 3 on the belle vue thread..

cheers

lyn

img061.jpg

Bristol Road looking towards Selly Oak with the Gun Barrels in the center of the photo.

img062.jpg

This is a closer view of the Gun Barrels with Edgbaston Park Road on the right. 1925. The pub is still in same location today after all the building and road widening that has taken place.

img074.jpg

The Saddlers Arms used to be almost on the corner of Franchise Street but it was knocked down and cleared away to make room for the Birchfield Road Underpass.
This picture is the Saddlers Arms on Aldridge Road Perry Barr where it was rebuilt. The photo is from 1959.
stitcher

Back