• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

S

Stitcher

ss~1.jpeg
View attachment 61774 There are too many posts to trawl through for me to check so forgive me if these have been used recently.
I am hoping Mike or one of the others will be able to verify this one for us. I have it down as The Dolphin, Warwick Rd Acocks Green and around 1927 Mrs Alice Pagett was the licensee.
I was born in Acocks green in 1940 so this was a bit before my time but it does not look anything like the Warwick Road I remember from my childhood.

Last edited by a moderator:
bb~0.jpeg
The Welcome Inn on the corner of Wheeley's
Lane and owen Street, 1964. I am afraid I have little or no information with the majority of these pictures but no doubt Big gee or one of the others will have some details for most of them.

po.jpeg

xx.jpeg

zz~0.jpeg

The first one of these three is or was The Sun Inn and it was on the corner of Sun Street and Bristol Streen in 1964.

The second one was The Trees Hotel which stood on the cornerr of Wheely's Lane and Bath Row. 1965.

The third one was The Swan Inn and it stood on the corner of Bell Barn Road and Wynn Street

Hello Richie, I think, and this only vague, the road on the left is where Bexhill grove is now, and the one on the right is Wheeleys Lane. Some members have maps covering all this and perhaps one of them can be more definate.

Hello Big Gee, not many I'm afraid and the number is diminishing constantly. I have a friend who I worked with on the buses forty years ago who has kept an Off Licence in our area for the last thirty years. He will not serve anyone under-age, known trouble makers or idiots. A Post Office 150 yards from his shop has just been granted a licence to sell alcohol from 8am - 10 pm. My friend is now worried that because of the extended hours the P.O. will take so much trade that he will have to close the Off licence.

Image.jpg
View attachment 61878
1. The Ship at Camp Hill was built in 1560. It was used by Prince Rupert in 1643 as his Birmingham headquaters during The Civil War.

Image_28229.jpg

2. The Ship again, this time in 1971. The building was demolished shortly after this photo was taken. Note the statue of Prince Rupert above the dooway.

11.jpeg

No.1 is The Red Cow on the corner of Bristol St.

picture No.2 The Nottingham Arms on the corner of Bristol Passage and Bristol St. Both images are from 1964.

22~1.jpeg

Image_28229~0.jpg

This picture is the Waterloo Bar around 1890. It was on he corner of Christ Church Passage and New street,

hh.jpeg

Image No. 2 is of The Old Farriers Arms in Lichfield St. sometime in the 1880s . The buiding dates from the previous century but it was about 1840 when it became a pub. Lichfield Street was eventually cleared and Corperation Street replaced it.

Stitcher
Thank you for the very interesting pictures you are posting. The Old Farriers Arms one I have seen before, but not such a clear reproduction. However it is not from the 1840s. One other copy I have seen stated it was around 1880. in fact Mrs Mary Ann Stevens (M.A. Stevens on outside of pub) took over from James Stevens between 1884 and 1888, was still there in 1890, but the pub had gone by 1892. In fact for all that period Kellys referred to what had been Litchfield st as Corporation st, though likely it was still called by the old name by locals.
Mike

Hello mikejee, I put the pictures away last night. I will get them out and have another look at the short text scribed with it. I would'nt have a clue apart from what is written with it.

I'm not that old either Stitcher ! Did find one interesting ex-landlord in looking it up. In the 1850s, the landlord Henry Jones was also a car proprietor and veterinary surgeon. Quite a mixture.

Hello mkejee, I contacted an old friend who spends a lot of time in the Library, not my scene I might add. I then took my angel shopping and on my return an E.mail awaited mewith his version of said picture. He tells me that the building was in existance from the 18th cetury and became a pub sometime in the 1940s the first landlord was a George Jones. He also verifies that Lichfield St did indeed become Corperation St. As previously stated Mike I could not argue about what is fact or fiction.

Back