• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

On looking at this fascinating site and seeing some little realistic cardboad/paper houses in a gift shop, a cleaver person could recreate Birmingham's or anywhere's old pubs. Or a street or a disrtict. I am sure it was like Coventry where there was a pub on every corner and several on one street. Or maybe somebody already has.?

I wonder what the oldest pub in Brum is?
I always thought the Golden Cross was the oldest here, in Coventry, then they came up with another which seems to have gone again.
My mate's late dad took me to the oldest pub he said, in Dublin, The Brazen Head.

I wonder what the oldest pub in Brum is?
I always thought the Golden Cross was the oldest here, in Coventry, then they came up with another which seems to have gone again.
My mate's late dad took me to the oldest pub he said, in Dublin, The Brazen Head.

Well, it is not the Old Crown at Deritend. The building may be old but not as a licensed tavern. If we are talking about a pub still trading then it has to be one of the building's left alone whilst many were being rebuilt in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Something like : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/bordesley-street/spotted-dog.htm but, not having looked into all the old pubs, I am not sure which is the oldest.

Well, it is not the Old Crown at Deritend. The building may be old but not as a licensed tavern. If we are talking about a pub still trading then it has to be one of the building's left alone whilst many were being rebuilt in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Something like : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/bordesley-street/spotted-dog.htm but, not having looked into all the old pubs, I am not sure which is the oldest.
It could be The Great Stone Inn at Northfield by the medieval church of St Lawrence. It was originally a coaching inn so no doubt that would have provided food, overnight accommodation, and of course alcoholic beverages.

The oldest pub in Birmingham is The Green Man or Lad in the Lane....same pub in Erdington Tom

Oh, I must have misread the question as we are straying outside of old Birmingham and into the 'hinterlands'. Like the Old Crown, the Green Man was not always a pub, though it was licensed by 1802, perhaps earlier? Regarding the Great Stone Inn, one should use 'formerly' rather than 'originally' as the building pre-dates coaching days. I am not sure when the medieval 'hall' house became a tavern, though I have doubts that it was ever a coaching inn. All good speculative fun however :)

The good old days when there was a pub on every corner. If you asked somebody for directions it would go something like this, Turn left at The Red loin keep going the turn left at The Black Swan etc. They could guide you all the way across Brum just using the pubs.

One of our young ladies had fun with an American visitor telling him a tale of a police chase.
"they chased him past the King's Head, the Red Lion, the Farmer's boy and caught him by the Cock."

The good old days when there was a pub on every corner. If you asked somebody for directions it would go something like this, Turn left at The Red loin keep going the turn left at The Black Swan etc. They could guide you all the way across Brum just using the pubs.
And they called out the pub names for the bus stop . In Coventry a building that had a modern front was stripped back to the original beams, in Jordan Well, and suddenly it became the oldest pub, and now it doesn't seem to be a pub again. I was told my house used to be a beer house. But that was only built in 1906.

It could be The Great Stone Inn at Northfield by the medieval church of St Lawrence. It was originally a coaching inn so no doubt that would have provided food, overnight accommodation, and of course alcoholic beverages.

Oh, I must have misread the question as we are straying outside of old Birmingham and into the 'hinterlands'. Like the Old Crown, the Green Man was not always a pub, though it was licensed by 1802, perhaps earlier? Regarding the Great Stone Inn, one should use 'formerly' rather than 'originally' as the building pre-dates coaching days. I am not sure when the medieval 'hall' house became a tavern, though I have doubts that it was ever a coaching inn. All good speculative fun however :)
'Originally' is the word one uses when referring to it's use as a pub only. One will just have to agree to disagree, won't one ? (There is evidence that it was a coaching inn.) ;)

The one appearing and disappearing in Coventry I am told was an ancient ale house, in it's day, (my dad would have known,) then it must have been a retail outlet for years, someone discovers that it was originally a pub, and it becomes a pub again, and know it's not, again. Bizarre. When is a pub not a pub?

The Old Windmill, Spon End Coventry (Ma Brown's) at 1451 and The Golden Cross, 1854. So Ma Brown's here. I can't find the name of the, there it is now it's gone pub I will keep trying.

Here's one that I have no knowledge of and can't claim to have ever used. Anybody remember it, I have no doubt that it is well gone now. Scotch house on the corner of Aston High Street and Whitehead Rd.
I think Arthur and Doreen Burley ran this pub.

There is a Vine in the thread (#470) but this one is the Vine Inn, sorry I don't know which street it was in.
The252520Vine_.jpg
Is this Carver Street?

The White Swan,Edmund Street.

Attachments

• 55063CB2-28CE-4DB5-A9EC-9D7DD1CC5894.jpeg
    55063CB2-28CE-4DB5-A9EC-9D7DD1CC5894.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • 67456F2D-8679-43D6-91EF-44E1A885B783.png
    67456F2D-8679-43D6-91EF-44E1A885B783.png
    508.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DD4F9497-C464-4A23-A598-3B77CD31705D.png
    DD4F9497-C464-4A23-A598-3B77CD31705D.png