• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

This is an internet pic of the Cambridge Inn, Cambridge Street, which was demolished in the early 1960s to make way for a multistorey carpark behind Baskerville House. My parents ran the pub prior to demolition. A brass
polishing works was next door (out of view, left of pic) and the council vehicle depot. The Alexandra Theatre warehouse was over the road if I recall correctly.

Attachments

• Cambridge Inn.jpg
    Cambridge Inn.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 20
Have you seen this thread John ?

They had wonderful names then and so of their time. Now we have or had, Prague, Dogma, Enigma, Jumping Jacks, Inspire, The Aardvark, etc. If they are still there as they change and disappear, there used to be the Leg and Cramp & the Dog and Trumpet. That's gone.
Nico, the old names often had a historical connection to the location and could be used to navigate. Anyone could find the Well Head Tavern, but Hare of the Dog while it contains a pun could have been anywhere. The Poly/ University has gone now, I'm not sure if the fate of the pub has been settled. Derek

Nico, the old names often had a historical connection to the location and could be used to navigate. Anyone could find the Well Head Tavern, but Hare of the Dog while it contains a pun could have been anywhere. The Poly/ University has gone now, I'm not sure if the fate of the pub has been settled. Derek
Yes they sure did. My Nan said the bus conductors shouted the names out as there was always one by a bus stop. e.g. The Old Cat yer mother in law ! whilst being on the bus,with hers, who had a go at the conductor, to then young Nan's embarrassment, her mother in law was true to her description!

Does anyone remember the Grapes just off John Bright Street? It was a small cosy pub where some of us lads used go at Chtristmas when we worked at T.I.(Export) which was then next door to the Alexandra theatre.I reckon that pub was glad we didn't go often as at Xmas we were always tanked up when we left to spend the rest of the afternoon at the Tatler cinema where we had hysterics at the all cartoon show.
Happy days long gone just like many of the pubs fondly remembered.
Tojo.

Exactly, it seemed like many of the pub names were markers for a location or place to turn/pass of preferably meet :)

This is an internet pic of the Cambridge Inn, Cambridge Street, which was demolished in the early 1960s to make way for a multistorey carpark behind Baskerville House. My parents ran the pub prior to demolition. A brass
polishing works was next door (out of view, left of pic) and the council vehicle depot. The Alexandra Theatre warehouse was over the road if I recall correctly.
I vaguely remember that public house from roaming around that area as a nipper , the multi storey carpark was built a roads width from the pub, and from what a relative told me it was only supposed to be a temporary 6 month job as so to speak . I think it was up for about 30 yrs , the relative worked on the erection of the car park . Guess what in 1969 we moved into the first tower block in what became Brindley Drive the first block of four was Cambridge Tower . On the fourteenth floor what a view of Birmingham we had .

Last edited:
Back