• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

Cheese and onion cobs, yes they are delightful. Far better than some of the fast food garbage (just my opinion of course ;)) that is often on offer in many places. What could be better than good English Cheddar and bread (which was always known as the staff of life).
There have been many riots, in past times, over bread and its cost. Has there ever been any riots over the cost of all take-away and fast food products ? I don't believe so. :D

I knew this pub as the Regents Court, it was located at the top of Park Road in Moseley. When it first opened it had quite a strict dress code and if you were wearing jeans you were allowed no further than that enclosed veranda along the front of the building. I believe the dress code relaxed over the years and in the late 80's it was renamed the Jug of Ale and it gained a reputation for live music and up and coming bands. Sadly in recent years it closed and was converted to what you see now The Tipu Sultan Restaurant, though myself and a couple of other members of this forum can attest to the fact a very good curry can be had there in very nice surroundings, as long as you don't want an alcoholic drink with it.

blank.jpg

the cross keys pub erdington is now boarded up and up for sale

lyn

Last edited:
The Towers, Beggars Bush, Drakes Drum, and Golden Hind are still there, I'm not sure about the Bagot Arms.
There seem to be old photos of Mitchell & Butlers pubs but not many of Ansells pubs - did M&B have a publicity department ?
oldmohawk
Hello All, no doubt someone will have beat me to this as I am a new member but the Bagot Arms is till there on Chester Road. Mike

Hello All, no doubt someone will have beat me to this as I am a new member but the Bagot Arms is till there on Chester Road. Mike
Which is why the Americans/Canadians suggest Pype Hayes as a safe place to visit. Can anyone map the pubs in the Pype Hayes area, I think I was right with my references in the other post to The Norton, Bagot Arms and I said the Pype Hayes, but I think I was wrong with that name. They started with The Yenton, The Digby, then the one on the canal but the memories are only of the beer and the fug and the noise, we did not care what the name was, just that they were open.
Bob

the cross keys pub erdington is now boarded up and up for sale

lyn

No change today, still boarded up. I was looking at a map from 1820 the other day (to do with the building of the parish church) and this pub was already there then. Do hope they manage to save it. Lyn, did you notice if the painters next door had new occupants. I can't remember. I was wondering if something was going to happen to this corner in connection with the development over the road from there.

hi jimbow
you are correct on the white swan pub being on the corner of victoria road and white head road
and you could be qiite right about the travellers rest
but i do know that the white swann is correct as l lived actoss the road from it and used it
i lived at 47 victoria road and at the same time there was a doctors house surgery living direcrtly on whitehead road
and he has bars on is house windows and doors and he used to own and drive around in a huge pink american cadilac
always parked out side , and he was the very first person or should i say the very first doctor
to charge his patience for the visit to see him but he then lost alot of his patiencs
they refused to pay him and they went elsewhere further down to the other lot of doctors surgery on park road
by buckinghams chemist and the old victoria picture house on victoria road
the old swann was revamped and moderned ised and extentented about ninty sixties
they made it flush and cosy and good west indian music bands performed there
best wishes Astonian,,,
Hello All. The White Swan was on the corner of Victoria Road/Whitehead Road. It is now a Medical Centre. I remember back in the 60's they used to store the bottles outside in the yard. The Travellers rest was on Whitehead Road/Bartons Bank although I don't remember much about that one. Mike

What happened Phil? I guess you were aiming for a life of free beer?
I remember the Queens Head in Aberdeen Street but I can't remember the Bellefield. Alzheimers kicking in I guess. Although I came from Aston before moving to Kingstanding in 69, I had several friends from school who lived in the Winson Green area. Mike

The Winson Green picture is of the Cottage of Content in Norman Street, off Winson Green Road. The pub on the corner of Lodge Road and Don Street was the "Winson Green Tavern".
In the 60's and 70's the Winson Green Tavern was affectionally known locally as "The Don". Mike

Hello All

Does anyone have any photos or information on the Bricklayers Arms that used to be on the corner of Clifton Road and Potters Hill. In the early 60's the landlord was Jack McCarron who had moved from our back to backs in Clifton Road and took over the Bricklayers for a few years. My dad used to help him out behind the Bar. I'm not sure when the Bricklayers closed down but, I guess, it would have been demolished in 1970/1971. In about 1966, they then moved to what was the Swanpool Tavern opposite Aston Station. I think this is now called the Swan & Mitre. Any photos or information appreciated. Thanks Mike

Which is why the Americans/Canadians suggest Pype Hayes as a safe place to visit. Can anyone map the pubs in the Pype Hayes area, I think I was right with my references in the other post to The Norton, Bagot Arms and I said the Pype Hayes, but I think I was wrong with that name. They started with The Yenton, The Digby, then the one on the canal but the memories are only of the beer and the fug and the noise, we did not care what the name was, just that they were open.
Bob
Hello Bob. The pub on the canal was the Tyburn House further along the Kingsbury Road you had the New Inn the name change many years ago to the The Boat.

MikeC, do a search. There quite a few threads with references to this particular Bricklayers Arms. One of them is from someone who says they were born there.

The Bricklayers Arms, for Mikec, and The Winson Green Tavern on the corner of Don Street.Aston Clifton Rd Bricklayers Arms.JPG

Winson Green Lodge Rd The Don.JPG

I don't remember this pub on the corner of Carrs Lane and Moor Street. I suppose it was swept away in the building of the Ringway
Screenshot (240).png

I don't remember the pub Jim but I seem to remember one on maps called 'The Aquarium' which was around here. However, you can see that this wasn't the name of the pub on your photo. Perhaps they renamed it?

Lady P

The Aquarium was in fact on the corner of Carrs Lane and Moor Street, I'm afraid I don't know if it was renamed as The Corner or in fact rebuilt, but I would imagine that it was renamed. This is a drawing of the interior of the Aquarium.

City Aquarium Moor St .jpg

I don't remember the pub Jim but I seem to remember one on maps called 'The Aquarium' which was around here. However, you can see that this wasn't the name of the pub on your photo. Perhaps they renamed it?
I remember the "Firebird" coffee bar that was opposite in Carrs Lane. But that is well off theme.

Back