• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

The first one is The Bell, situated on the corner of Bristol St. and Bell Barn Road in 1965.

ll~2.jpeg

Picture No two is of Ye Old Red Lion in the Bull Ring. It was an Ansells pub and the photo is from 1955.

lkj.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
ni guys
i am really enjoying these picturesof the old pubs as i grew up and used that pub when i was old enough to booze with the adams
family and a close friend to the gather and son until they moved to the big old pub and hotel on the victoria rd in the fifties
and upper sutton st corner we still kept in touch and i still boozed there and associated with them
but the turf did really hold memories of the days when we was kids climbing over the back gates and helping our selfs to crates of emptyies and take them into the out door and claiming the old man had bought the crates on the friday and st night
and the gaffer used to say whom is your old man son we would tell him fibs and get the returns on them but i hadmore memories than that
just like the gate the hingestion the red lin the grotto in camden st and many more
keep them coming guys best wishes astonion

Thanks for the Turf 'photo Phil. As you will see my Forum name is RADIORAILS but seeing radiorentals, which I guess is maybe another name from the past. It did bring a smile to my face especially on this very windy and wet afternoon which, I think you might find, is heading your way. :shocked:

Radiorails

I really am sorry, I keep saying my eyes are getting worse and I need new glasses. I can't put it off any longer I'll have to get an eye test as soon as possible. I've corrected the error please accept my apologies.

Phil

Thank you indeed for your kind comments Phil: it was not expected. I will add, again, that I found it amusing. :D

View attachment 63387 .View attachment 63386 .View attachment 63388
As with practically all images of anything to do with Birmingham, these may have been posted before but I hope not. The first one is The Golden Lion on Deritend High Street. The pub was still in use and it is datet as about the end of the 19th century. A general Cooper (Joseph Lees) used the right hand third of the building and you can see some of his wares in the window and hanging on the wall. It is thought the building was erected around 1600.
The second one is the same location in 1908.
The third one is The Golden Lion in Cannon Hill Park where it was taken brick by brick and and re-erected in 1970.

qq.jpeg

This is or was The Cross Guns in Kings Heath, unfortunately I do not have any further information about the establishment.
I can not find any reference to this pub in a previous post on this thread so I will start again by posting it here. I will attempt to repost all the previous ones in their relevant positions.

Hey Stitcher, my sister was the licencee of The Sailers Return just out of Brum on the Aston Side. Everyone reckoned it was haunted and there were some very strange happenings in the place with glasses flying unaided and coasters following them. Never believed in that stuff myself but my mother was there one night on her own except for a great dane dog and suddenly the dog went banana's for no reason and its hair stood on end. My mother who was scared of nothing said it was a bit disturbing but still stayed the night with a very reluctant dog. Any history on it? Regards, David.

The building originated in the 18th century. Above the crossed guns in the picture, covered by the undergrowth, is the date 1792, so presumably it was founded then. An early landlord was supposed to be a gunsmith. It was known locally as the Pear Tree from the tree outside just by the door, which was supposed to have been planted in 1788. From the 1840s it was used as the local police court. It was first licensed in 1831, at the same time as the founding of the Kings Heath brewery, seen behind, both originally being owned by the Bates family. James & Isaac Bates still ran the pub and brewery in 1868, but by 1872 the pub was run by William Charles Reynolds, though Isaac Bates still owned the brewery. The building was replaced in 1897.
Mike

Hello David, I have so many pictures and other bits of information that I could not say one way or another, what I can tell you is that I will be going through the box containing the old pubs over the coming weeks so I might find something. mikejee will no doubt have something on it though.

Hello Mike, thanks for that info it makes the picture so much more interesting.

Old Farriors Arms

Attachments

• City Old Farriers Arms Lichfield St c1880 .jpg
    City Old Farriers Arms Lichfield St c1880 .jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 62
Topsy turvy
This rang a bell (The farriers Arms) somewhere elsewhere, I think, there is some comment from me about this picture. Basically the caption is slightly incorrect. James Stevens is listed in Kellys as the landlord in 1882 & 1884, and Mary Ann Stevens (M.A. in picture) in 1888. Lichfield st is not listed after 1882, thatbpart becoming part of corporation st. so At the time the picture was taken the Farriers arms was in Corporation St
Mike

Does anyone have any memories of The Lion & Lamb pub, which was just off Stratford Road roughly in the area of the junction with Highgate Road? My uncle Harold Cowell managed this pub during the war, prior to moving to The Antelope, further down Stratford Road on the corner of Baker Street. Is the Lion & Lamb still there? Thanks in advance.

Big Gee

Mike, and topsey turvey, hello both. I have a sheaf of papers that seem to be pages from a book. They are clean with no ripped edges and contain dozens of pics of old pubs all over the Birmingham area. I have started to repost on this thread and will continue until all the pictures are posted. It will not be a quick process because I am also busy with my hobby.

Hi Big Gee

The last time I was down that way (the corner of Highgate Rd & Stoney lane) the building was still standing but under a different name. I don't know what the situation is today as it must be about six years ago now. I do remember that the Lion & Lamb used to suffer a lot from Flooding in the cellar and I don't know if they ever cured that.

I have used the search engine to see if I can find a post on this topic as I'm sure I answered a question on this pub before, but have not found anything. So I will post these couple of photos I have and if I come across them in another thread later I will delete them and replace them with a link to the other thread.

Phil

Sparkbrook Lion & Lamb  Highgate Rd .jpg

Sparkbrook Lion & Lamb Stoney Lane .jpg

Last edited:
Thanks very much, Phil. I can just about remember my uncle saying that he was glad to get another pub. It doesn't seem to be a very up-market place, does it?

Big Gee

Big Gee

I think the main problem might have been that there were three other (possibly better) pubs within less than a minutes walk of it. The Brewers Arms opposite, The Queens a little way up Highgate Rd on the corner of Queen St and the Royal Oak up Stoney Lane on the corner of Alfred St.

Phil

Every other building around that area is or was a pub, Phil - never saw so many in my life. Cheers!

Big Gee

I have made a start on re-posting the lost images, I will do a few each day until they are all back, and then I will carry on with some more new ones.

ggb.jpeg

The Hope and Anchor with Birminghams Big Brum clock in the background. This end of Edmund Street was demolished in the 1960s to make way for the Paradise Forum complex.

aw.jpeg

The corner of Ladywood Road and Broad Street is the location of this M&B pub. The 'Five Ways Inn'.

Thanks for the photo Stitch. We had our wedding reception at the Hope and Anchor in 1963.

Hello Charlie I hope it kindled fond memories for you. I have dozens of pictures to post yet but I have almost done the backlog of those that were lost.
stitcher.

11~2.jpeg

This was how Stevens Bar looked in 1951. It used to be on the corner of High Street and New Street.

ed.jpeg

The Edgbaston, not to be confused with the Edgbaston Tavern shown in a previous post. The Edgbaston stood on the corner of Ryland Road and Lee Bank Road. Lee Bank Road was to become Lee Bank Middleway.

Back