• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

The bit of text I have just says it was in Dudley St.

I think that in 1895 for 6d you would expect the best dinner in England.

zaq.jpeg

View attachment 62745The Wheatsheaf Inn. Suffolk St. in 1895.

Last edited by a moderator:
xx~0.jpeg
View attachment 62757
This nice old picture is The White Horse Inn, York St. Harborne. 1960. The view is towards the High Street.

View attachment 62745The Wheatsheaf Inn. Suffolk St. in 1895.

Can I provide a "modern" photograph to beef up the history of the pub and the location surrounding. Dennis Williams has provided a 1910's/1920's view on the Suffolk Street thread and maybe someone can reprint it here. My contribution is from the 1940's (during the War in fact) of the very same viewpoint, this time with very different cabs in place; these are Birmingham taxis during the war with the invention of gas bags fitted on the roof to spare resources of petrol. I'm not sure of the idea myself, what with the possibility of burning embers dropping on top!View attachment 62771

Hello Richie, the later picture is very good.
The gas-bags were quite successful with a number of commercial veicles, including I think a few buses using them.

bb~1.jpeg

Just prior to demolition of the area, the Brittania stood on the corner of Piggot Street and Latimer Street in 1965.
The Smiths beer sold at this pub was brewed at 251 Lichfield Road Aston.

11~0.jpeg

View attachment 62822About 1900 and we are looking at The Bull's Head on the corner of The Horse Fare and Smallbrook Street.

22~2.jpeg

The same location but it is now 1912 and The Bull has been demolished and rebuilt. It was quite a large establishment with many of the staff living in. It also provided bedrooms for guests.

Hello Dek, I imagine it could be because of the overhead wires, but with the tram lines still in the road I cant be sure if the wires are to do with them. Lloyd is the man to answer that one.

It is definatly a trolly bus if you enlarge the photo and then increase the size by 200 you can clearly see the electrod bars.
paul

bb~2.jpeg

1964 and the picture is of 'The Victoria Inn'. Alfred Ernest Clark was the licensee at this time.

View attachment 63031----------------View attachment 63030
No 1 is The Unicorn, Holloway Head in 1964. No 2 is The Bell Barn Tavern located on the corner Ryland Rd. and Bell Barn Rd.

Recently uploaded onto one of the architectural design sites is this aerial photograph which focuses on Holloway View attachment 63071Head but covers a great deal of the older western section of the city centre. The date claimed is the same as Stictcher's date for that of the Unicorn, but I think it may be of a few years earlier to that since Smallbrook Ringway is still under construction. *Has anyone out there the computer artwork facility to mark with a dot or an arrow where the Unicorn is still by then situated?*

BTW....keep clicking on my photograph. Further enlargements are possible!

Hello Richie, information is scant but The Unicorn was near to Speaking Stile walk and Sutton St. which is still there and the pub would have been on the perimeter of the sports field which is there now. I do not know whether the Walk was uphill or downhill from Sutton St. but someone with the correct map will be able to tell you exactly where Speaking Stile Walk was.

Richie
Speaking Stile Walk ran off Holloway Head directly opposite Washington St. I think you can see the path of the buildings on it at the other end , as shown by the green line. I think the Unicorn is hidden by the building on the other side of the junction, but would be about where the red mark is.
Mike

Thanks for that bit of information Mike, although it was not my enquiery, it is nice to know the details.

Richie
Speaking Stile Walk ran off Holloway Head directly opposite Washington St. I think you can see the path of the buildings on it at the other end , as shown by the green line. I think the Unicorn is hidden by the building on the other side of the junction, but would be about where the red mark is.
Mike

Thanks for that Mike. Is there a Holloway Head thread like there is for Summer Lane in which case we can reconstruct the road brick-by-brick maybe?

Looking at the original photo and the incline I assumed that the location would be further on down the hill-100 yards possibly but on the same side of the road.

Richie

The Unicorn would have been where the red X is on the map.

Phil

bath row.jpg

Last edited:
hi stitcher
nice to see the old bowling green pub i never thought i wouild produce that one a pub with history beleive me
and the walls could have have given you some stories beleive me i certainly memories of the old bowling green and the clientele that used it
the old jo anna never stopped playing in those days only when a stranger walked in it would most definately stop for a moment to see whom it was and was they reconised by any one
especialy in those days when the old CID police dressed in there posh suits looking for villains it was a villains pub indeed
and also i can add the orinional grey hound pub enrty was directly facing the bowling green for the one penny a pint of cider a really rough which was like glass when you swollowed
it down your neck i have seen many a man pull up and walk up the entry for half or a pint of it and they have staggered back out to there car the old austins
we used to laugh at them mind you we staggered as well when we have had a pint and half me andnipper adams and he was a big boozer long before me
i do not surpose you have got an orinional one of the old grey hound in its earlyer days prior the fifties and sixties oreven one earler
once again stitch thanks for those glory days of memories astonion

Hello again Astonian, if my postings of old pubs causes you to remember something from your past, I will keep posting them.

Great photo Trevor#42 is that a Trolley Bus? Dek

I don't see a reply by Lloyd to your question so I hope I am permitted to reply to you.

Yes, it is a trolley bus in the photograph. Three clues are there as far as I can see.

1. It has two trolley booms on its roof.
2. It has a totally flat front, not a half-cab like most buses of that period.
3. It has a two numeral fleet number in the lower centre of the front of the bus (where the engine would normally show).

Eagle eyed readers may spot other clues. ;)

In keeping with this thread I will mention another pub that I have not seen listed. It is (or rather was) The Turf situated opposite the still extant Library*
at the junction Spring Hill/Icknield Street.

* I guess it is till there as it is a listed building. Although Birmingham is not the only place in the United Kingdom demolishing its building Heritage; it seems to be another sad thing which is happening in many towns and cities. :(

Last edited:
Stitcher
happy new year to you and your other half bren
oh yes i am having a whale of a time with my memors of yesterday in pubs
so yes brillient please keep them coming
have a great day our kid best wishes astonion

Back