• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

img026~0.jpg

The second establishment from the left, No. 28 is or was The Woodman. It was in Jamaica Row which was known as a thoroughfare off Edgbaston Street in the area of Smithfield. The date of the photo is 1890.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI GANG ; AND ESPECIAL TO MY OLD FRIEND STICHER
FIRST OF ALL I AM SORRY TO HAVE MISED AFEW THREADS ON THE FORUM;BUT I HAVE BEEN EXPERIRNCING AFEW THINGS OF LATE
FIRSTLY OUR SYSTEMS HAVE BEEN TARGETTED BY THE HACKERS VERY BADLY ; WHICH WAS MUCH TO OUR SURPRIZE BUT WE NOW NOW WHERE IT CAME FROM ; ;FROM A FOREGIN SOURCE AS WE DEAL WITH FOREIGN COUNTRY,S DAILY SENDING OUT TO THE FOUR CORNERS OF THE PLANT
SECONDLY I HAVE BEEN EXPEIENCING PROBLEMS WITH IN THE FAMILY ; WITH ONE THING OR ANOTHER PLUS MY LATE INJURY I HAD STILL EXPERIENCEING
BUT NOW OUR SYSTEMS ARE ALL UP AND RUNNING FINE ;
I SEE JENNY ANN AND STICH ARE LOOKING FOR SOME HELP ON A THREAD CAN YOU PLEASE REQUEST WHAT THE THREAD WAS I GATHER ITS TO DO WITH A PUB SO IF I CAN HELP I WILL TRY Y BEST TO RESOLVE IT FOR YOU
SPEAKING OF PUBS I WENT TO WARICK RD THE OTHER DAY AND IT WAS THE BRITTAINA AND MUCH TO MY SURPRIZE THEY ARE OPENING UP AS A CAR DEALERSHIP ;
I TOOK MY YOUNG SON DOWN THERE TO BUY HIM A SECOND HAND CAR WHICH WAS STORED AROUND THE BACK I MET THE OWNER AND HE SAID E IS HOPEING
TO BE UP AND RUNNING BY JUNE BUT I COULD NOT SEE IT HAPPENING ; THE HAVE BUILTTWO CONCRETE OST SLAP BANG IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OLD BAR
HE SAID HIM SELF HE COULD NOT SEE HIMGETING CARS INTO THE BAR SECTION ;HE MAY HAVE TO REMOVE THEM AND START AGAIN
BUT I THOUGHT HE WAS A AURTHER DAILY MERCHANT BUT ON WHAT WE SEEN WITH THE PARTICULAR CAR IT WAS SCRAP AND THE OTHERS
DID NOT SEEM UP TO SCRATCH AND I WAS TELLLING HIM OF MY INVOLMENT WITH THE LOCAL PUBS AROUND THE AREA AND OF THE LAST TWO GATHERS ; AND THE LAST ONE CAME TO DUBLIN WITH US AND THE BREWERY MANAGERS AND HE WAS A PUNCH DRUNK GATHER AND THE ONE BEFORE HIM KEPT A VERY TIGHT REIGN ON THE PUB AND CLEAN AS WELL WHOM RETIRED ;
ANY WAY I CAN LOOK AT THIS THREAD IF NOBODY AS COME UP WITH ANY ANSWERS AND AS I SAID I WILL TRY AND ANSWER FR STICH AND JENNY
AND ITS NICE TO BE BACK ON AIR BEST WISHES EVERY BODY Astonian alan ;;

Astonian, how nice to know you are still up and about. Sorry to hear about the problems within the family but alas these thing do unfortunately happen from time to time.
The query was on the old pubs thread when I posred a photo of The Saddlers Arms on Aldridge Road. My information was that it was near to Franchise Street until it was demolished to make way for the Birchfield underpass and there was some query as to whereabouts of both of them. I hope you can help us.
stitcher

HI Stich ;
yes it was demo; eventualy at the start of the aston by pass and i beleive it was with in walking distance of walkers chocolate factory
and being a close resident to the whle complex i can recall the wholelengh of the destruction from one end to the other end to the city it was distracous to live by it for us inhabbitants for years and it was taylor and woodrow complex to build to be responible for building it
the amount of lead piping coming from the whole comples would have filled to the top of a sky scraper at six ways
and inkerman house was the first built around alma street astonian;

img015.jpg

1935, Vicarage Road Kings Heath and we looking at The Red Lion. Another lovely building that was first opened August 1904.

Went in there once,the draught beer was so bad we returned it,and the gaffer got very uppity,but changed it for bottled beer.

No, I can't either.
I would like to see the Wellhead Tavern ones as I went to junior school with a lad whose father was the manager at that time (late 50's/early 60's)

These two photos are of the Cromwell Arms,Cromwell Street, Nechells, the first one 1939,showing our house next door,with the licensee standing in front of the pub.
The second one taken approx. 1954,showung the start of demolition and what's left of our house.normal_Cromwell_Arms_Pub_x_2.jpg24-01-12 005.jpg

Lyn install Google Chrome, all images will then show up,it's much faster than IE,you can work with them both, but Chrome is better.

Hello Ray, I have never been in that one but I have always thought it looks impressive whenever I drive past it.

Hello john, what lovely old pictures, I sometimes wonder what it must have been like to be a drinker in these old rough looking establishments. It could not have been too bad because many of them survived for years and years,
stitcher

Last edited by a moderator:
Stitcher, from what I heard from the noises coming from the pub it must have been pretty rowdy,(our bedroom was next to the concert room upstairs in the pub,) Christmas was a particularly noisy one,but all in good fun I may add.
I was in the outdoor once when a Mr Stevens (who lived up the entry back of us) came in and said "give us 12 pennies, I'm going to gas myself",
next morning they were carrying him down the entry,he'd done it.

Lyn

If you prefer the browser you are using now you can install one of the others that work with this site and only use it on here and use your other browser for anything else that you do. That is what I do and it works out fine.

Phil

We are google chrome but my photo is not showing. Will forward it to someone to see if they can put it on, Jean.

thanks for the advice john and phil.i do prefer the browser i am using at the min ive had google chrome before and didnt like it much...will get my son to set it up though just for this site and see what happens although jean said shes on google chrome and still cant see her pics..

cheers

lyn

Last edited:
Back