• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

Old Mohawk to pubs in that area 1 The Beggars Bush,2 The New Oscott Tavern.There is also The Drakes Drum on the Aldridge Rd.Dek
Hi Dek - Yes I remember the Drakes Drum. The parents of three brothers who raced in the Birmingham Mohawks Ice Racing Club took over the Drakes Drum in the 1960's after running the Shakespeare Pub on the corner of Lionel St/Summer Row for many years.
We held our committee meetings upstairs in the Shakespeare - nice wood furniture - nice wood panelling.
The Drakes Drum had a basement which we used as a gym, but somehow it did not have the 'atmosphere' of the old pub. I notice on 'streetview' that the Shakespeare was still there in 2008 - looking good.
oldmohawk

img008.jpg

Great Hampton Street 1901 and the pub is The Leopard Inn.

Some of those older larger public houses that we all knew, are they all still with us now?

1. The Towers Walsall Rd
2. The Beggars Bush Jockey Rd
3. Drakes Drum Aldrige Rd
4. The Golden Hind Kingstanding Rd
5. The Bagot Arms

Phil

Perry Barr Walsall Rd Towers.jpg

Oscott Beggars Bush Jockey Rd 1953 x .jpg

Oscott Aldrige Rd Drakes Drum.jpg

Golden Hind Kingstanding Rd.jpg

Bagot .jpg

Last edited:
Some of those older larger public houses that we all knew, are they all still with us now?

1. The Towers Walsall Rd
2. The Beggars Bush Jockey Rd
3. Drakes Drum Aldrige Rd
4. The Golden Hind Kingstanding Rd
5. The Bagot Arms

Phil
The Towers, Beggars Bush, Drakes Drum, and Golden Hind are still there, I'm not sure about the Bagot Arms.
There seem to be old photos of Mitchell & Butlers pubs but not many of Ansells pubs - did M&B have a publicity department ?
oldmohawk

img014.jpg

This is a close up of The Star Wine Vaults as in post 222. The picture is a few years later than the the first one and they now advertise Whiskey on the window.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still following the large old pubs theme, here at Perry Barr two for the price of one. The old and new Boars Head.

Phil

Perry Barr New Boars Head .jpg Perry Barr Boars Head x .jpg

Last edited:
We also have the Church Tavern in Church Rd. Is there a photo of this one ? And of course The Tennis Court both of which are still trading.Dek

I always thought how interesting the (older) pubs around Kingstanding and Perry Barr were with their Dutch gables. I expect that was because of the Perry Hall architecture. Even Warren Farm had them too. Must have been in fashion. Seems such a shame that the Boars Head was replaced with the less interesting architecture. When I was yoinger I used to like going past the Golden Hind and to look out for the sign hanging outside. I thought it was a wonderful painting of the ship. Viv.

Here you are Dek, the Tennis Court, one of the few pubs over that way I have been in. The photo of the Church Tavern I doubt is the one that is standing today. Though I don't know the pub so I cant say.

Phil

Perry Barr Walsall Rd  Tennis Court.jpg

Perry Barr Church Tavern.JPG

Last edited:
Lyn, when I was old enough to drink in a pub (well a bit before that) I went in the Golden Hind quite often. It was a really nice pub at that time too. So good to hear it's still kept up the reputation.

Thanks Dek. Know where it is now. Viv.

The Deers Leap, The Endwood & the Scott Arms. Three Great Barr houses I believe?

Phil
Great Barr Queslett Rd Deers Leap.jpg

Great Barr Hamstead Rd The Endwood.jpg

Great Barr Scott Arms (2).jpg

Last edited:
These last 3 pubs look very substantial. They must have been built along the main roads in and out of Birmingham. I expect they originally provided accommodation too. The Scott Arms looks like it was perhaps once a family home? Or perhaps a brewmaster's house? Don't know the history of these but they were certainly built with a good flow of customers in mind.

A pub I used to visit along Chester Road - The Digby - was a very cosy pub. It was built down a track off the Chester Road. Never worked out the date of the place. Seem to remember thinking it might be relatively modern - maybe 1930s? - but I think it was quite small and had a good atmosphere like that of an old country pub. I think it was a very low level building, possibly with no upstaris. As you approached it along the drive there was a sort of island with a strange, small bollard (or was it a round seat?) in the middle. This was a great pub to visit winter or summer. And served very good beer. Viv.

Viv, the Endwood was someone's house, but I cannot remember who it was lived there. I was sure I had a photo of it, with the owner's name, but can't find it just now.

I wonder if the Scott Arms was a farm house. I think it may have been. I remember this old building but only just about, the entrace was almost on the road as the pavement was quite slim.

That's very interesting Shortie. Just looked up the Endwood and it's Grade II listed! Lovely.
https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-217229-the-endwood-public-house-birmingham/osmap

And you're right Shortie. According to Digital Handsworth it was once Church Hill House, then re-modelled in the 1820s. The Muntz family lived in it as a home, then it became a hotel, then a pub. Nice bit of history to it. And it's still standing! Here's the DH link:
https://www.search.digitalhandswort...1&direction=1&pointer=2441&text=1&printable=1

Unfortunately, Viv, Grade II listed means almost nothing. Grade II* is better, it means you can be prevented from doing most things. That's a lovely photo of it. I know the building quite well, as we used to pass it at least once a week until not very long ago. I have been inside, but many many years ago. Wonderful to have as a house, but much dusting I suppose.

Still following the large old pubs theme, here at Perry Barr two for the price of one. The old and new Boars Head.

Phil

PerryBarrOldBoarsHead.jpg

PerryBarrNewBoarsHead.jpg

Shortie. I suppose its a miracle then that the Endwood is still standing!

This info is new to me about the Boars Head - maybe others know this already - but there have been 3 Boars Heads! There was a predecessor to the first photo in #267. Here's a link to a sketch on the Digital Handsworth site. According to the site the first BH dates back to 1758. Quite a modest place by comparison to the later buildings.

https://www.search.digitalhandswort...&direction=&pointer=1700&text=0&resource=1493

I think it is. I do prefer the old Boars Head in prefernce to the new, or seeing as there were three, the one in the top photo. All down to moving with the times, I suppose, but we have heard that before, haven't we?

Back