• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs in Wheeler Street, Lozells

Jules65

master brummie
I have always been told that there were a great many pubs in Wheeler Street and that if you had a drink in each one from top to bottom you would be very drunk indeed. Is this true?

Can anyone tell me please the names of all these pubs?

My Father's parents had a small grocery shop in Wheeler Street in the 50s. Opposite their shop was a pub, but I'm not sure of the name. This pub had a fishing club and my father was a member. The name of the fishing club was 'The Brothers Well Met'. I would think the pub had the same name because it was quite usual in those days. My father took me on several trips with his fishing club.
This pub was about half way down Wheeler Street, so if your information is true, you would be about half drunk when you arrived there.
Best wishes, Dave Yeomans, Moscow

Greetings

In 1936 there were

Red House Ernest Parkes
Jenkins Herbert beer seller
Smith Will * Groves wine ans spirit merchants
Belle Vue Joseph Turner

As far as I can make out from my 1946 Kelly's there were seven pubs in Wheeler St.

The Red House
The Horse & Jockey
The Albion Inn
The Acorn
The Shakespeare Inn
The Belle Vue
The Rose & Crown

There were also two other pubs on the corners of roads that came to a junction with Wheeler St, these were,

The Lord Byron Farm Rd
The Manor Tavern Clifford St.

I do hope this helps and ,I hope you will forgive for any error, as I am not or ever have been a resident of Lozells or NewTown.

Phil

Excellent listing Phil :) especially as you,re a Nechells laddo, not Lozells/Hockley,,mucho appreciated

The Horse & Jockey i think was a "Cider House", i remember being in their with my Dad ,,age 11/1960
Cider (shandies :p ) while i took on the regulars at draughts, Dad won a few pints on my winning :rolleyes:
ps I won more than lost mainly because they all Pie-eyed :D

Cheers (hic ) JohnY :cool:

Would you class this as a pub, it was in Wheeler St. Its no good asking me where. I would say it was definitely an establishment where drink was available.

Phil

NewtownCabaretBingoClubWheelerStNewtown.jpg

Thank you for the information phil - thats fantastic.

The only pub on the list that I remember was The Lord Byron.

I have just been told that the Man o War pub which was a "newer" pub on Wheeler Street has now been flattened. Other pubs in the area which I used to visit were The Gunmakers Arms on Gerrard Street, The Royal Oak on Lozells Road, The Paddock in Newtown and of course The Barton Arms.

Thanks once again for your help.

Hi all,

I don't remember pubs in Wheeler St (I was only young) but I remember my aunts and uncles who lived in wheeler st/nearby use them a lot.. if anyone remembers the names Sheppard and Lowe then that is my folks !!

As far as I can make out from my 1946 Kelly's there were seven pubs in Wheeler St.

The Red House
The Horse & Jockey
The Albion Inn
The Acorn
The Shakespeare Inn
The Belle Vue
The Rose & Crown

There were also two other pubs on the corners of roads that came to a junction with Wheeler St, these were,

The Lord Byron Farm Rd
The Manor Tavern Clifford St.

I do hope this helps and ,I hope you will forgive for any error, as I am not or ever have been a resident of Lozells or NewTown.

Phil
Thank god for that Phil, that's the first time I've seen the Shakespear pub in Wheeler street mentioned, I used to live next door to it , thanks a lot, Rob.

mike if you spot this post could i have a map please showing where the shakespeare inn was...from memory its the only pub from phils list that i dont have a photo of

thanks

lyn

This is the Albion Tavern in Wheeler Street where my great great grandfather Shadrach Walker was the landlord by 1852 until his death in 1869. I believe it was demolished in the 60s, would appreciate any more info.

I have always been told that there were a great many pubs in Wheeler Street and that if you had a drink in each one from top to bottom you would be very drunk indeed. Is this true?

Can anyone tell me please the names of all these pubs?
Don't know how many but there always seemed to be a lot! What I understood was all you needed was a half pint in each..

have to say i am not sure if the photo i posted of the albion was the original albion tavern...does it look like it was around in 1852 (possibly longer) when shadrach walker was landlord of the albion tavern?...the word tavern could suggest that there was an earlier pub there...just a thought..some of the info is missing from post 14..would be interesting to see what it says

lyn

Could be, from a different angle, as my pic is so sketchy, here is the whole thing.

Attachments

• 56F3C272-E0C8-4047-A717-28FE9B69EDA3.jpeg
    56F3C272-E0C8-4047-A717-28FE9B69EDA3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
sorry if i have confused you fran...i have no doubt that my photo and your sketchy drawing are both of the same pub...what i was wondering is was it a later re build of an older albion tavern...

lyn

I don’t think so from censuses etc, see attached which is part of a family history I wrote up.

Attachments

• 4FDFBF08-B111-46B4-83A3-094CBC7C8906.jpeg
    4FDFBF08-B111-46B4-83A3-094CBC7C8906.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
Back