• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs in Tyseley

robert

master brummie
As most of you know there are no pubs in Tyseley, a few on the borders such as the Shaftmoor (Hall Green) and some no longer open including The Britania,The Fox Hollies and The Speedwell (all Acocks Green). I wondered if there ever was one now long since gone. If anyone has any maps and could do a search that would be great.

Robert.

https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/warwickshire/birmingham_b11.html lists a few old pubs around that area. I worked around there and never really gave it a thought about the lack of pubs. There was always the working mens clubs around there that made up for the lack of pubs. The only "open" sort of drinking establishment, I can remember was an out door on Warfdale Road and Redfern Road, you could sometimes pop in the back for a pint.

The Greet is close on the border but think The Greet is an area on its own.

there was one on golden hillock rd in the early years next to the old BSA and also an out door off licence next to the old TA units
during the early years and went in the early fifties ;

Hi Beamish,

I guess it was probably in Greet!.
Never been sure where Greet starts and finishes,
but i believe it is jammed between Sparkhill and Tyseley.

Kind regards

Dave

Although not public houses there was the (and still is) The Tyseley Railway Club & Tyseley Working Mans Club, both having been around for quite a while.

What was on the site that is now taken up by Cousins? Thats the only place I can think where there might have been a pub in years gone by as it is a newish building. Greet is signed on the Warwick Road but not sure exactly where it starts, will have to have a look.

dwilly, Maps going back to 1887 show nothing on that piece of land that Cousins stands on now (as far as I can see) apart from a building called The Grange, which was more towards Stockfield Road. It looks as if the land was just open fields.

There were a couple of beer retailers on the Warwick Rd stretch of Tyseley at one time. As we all know beer retailer can mean an offsales (outdoor) or an unnamed public house that was only allowed to sell beer and had no license to sell spirits.

As for the corner where Cousins stands, Warwick Rd - Tyseley Hill junction prior to the building that stands there now it was allotments according to the maps.

Attachments

• Tyseley.JPG
    Tyseley.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 21
What year is the map Phil? I was talking about the late 1960's early 1970's,

just done a look up in the Kelly's for 1969, it has G R Francis,plumbers merchant.

Lookers is a Vauxhall dealers on the site of the old Speedwell, its postcode is given as B25, B25 post code is Yardley, so unless the boundaries have moved the Speedwell would have been in Yardley. Must have been on the very edge.

I dealt with the Vauxhall dealership when it belonged to the Elt Brothers ever since it was in Deakins Rd. I always classed their premises on the corner of Amington Rd and Yardley Rd as Tyseley although I'm willing to admit that officially it might be Yardley. Anyhow here is a photo of the location as both the Speedwell and the Vauxhall dealership.

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 31
Hi James,

Yes, on the corner of Amington Road, which is B25, -
I think Yardley finishes further down Stockfield Rd towards
the Warwick Road, but I think it becomes Acocks Green, - not Tyseley (B11)

Kind regards

Dave

Just read through this old thread, it never ever occurred to me that "The Brit" wasn't in Tyseley, and I lived in Linton Rd just off Tyseley Lane, five minutes walk from the "Brit".
There were allotments on the corner of Warwick Rd. and Tyseley Hill Rd. right up to the bridge where the North Warwickshire line branches off. Later there were advertising hoardings. I used to sit on the embankment there to watch trains, before it was deemed ok for me to join the boys on the bridge outside the station. There you could watch a pannier tanker shunting trucks, and join the excitement of a "double on the main". Just up from the "Brit" was a blacksmith's where you could watch horses shod. I always remember the smell of the hot shoe being sized to the hoof. Opposite the smithy was the Grange and a row of shops that included a butchers, Amison's and a greengrocer Howell's. I understood that Mr. Howells son was lost in the sinking of "The Hood" in WW2. Opposite what is now Cousins was a post office and a Co-op where your money was propelled on overhead lines to a cashier. Most famous was Tyseley pet store that Sir David Attenborough mentions in Zoo Quest for a Dragon.

Back