• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs And Clubs Of The 70s And 80s

Locarno and Rum Runner most favourite, one night at the Rum Runner Tom Jones was inches away on a small stage doing a gig, known but not world wide then, another haunt was the Bulls Head Coventry Rd Carl Wayne and the Vikings were popular.

Smallbrook Ringway , relocated Snobs frontage on LHS with Gloucester House office above and crossing Hurst Street, and another view towards very cloudy sky by New Street Station date 2017

Source historicengland.org.uk

Attachments

• DC431D0D-16CB-4040-8984-FA3401B6F2F1.jpeg
    DC431D0D-16CB-4040-8984-FA3401B6F2F1.jpeg
    378.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 72A533B3-03F3-45B3-9A43-3001E52FB387.jpeg
    72A533B3-03F3-45B3-9A43-3001E52FB387.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 19
speaking of ships what was the pub in a cellar built to look like the inside of a galleon ? it was down one of the ally's, thought it was the nelson but cant find anything , know it was there i ate many toasted ham and cheese sandwichs in there lol

speaking of ships what was the pub in a cellar built to look like the inside of a galleon ? it was down one of the ally's, thought it was the nelson but cant find anything , know it was there i ate many toasted ham and cheese sandwichs in there lol
I remember such a place, not sure it's the same, you went down to what looked like the inside of boat, connection with fishing nets and all things boats and sea, table's with glass bottles with candles always dim lights. I remember it but have no idea where it was. Strange because it sticks in the mind. We went all over the town to so many clubs and pub's who also had gigs its annoying I can see the places but as it was then. Old age and demolition wish I could help.

There was a cellar bar in Temple Street - the end near St Phillips churchyard but I can't remember what it was called - this would be in the 90's. The entrance door was at the side of an alleyway between the sides of buildings.
However I don't remember if it had a nautical theme - probably not the same one you are thinking of!

Think there was a Royal George up past the Barrel in Summer Lane

A
There was Ozbrum I first went in there when A Irish woman name Aggie kept it , then an Irish couple took it over John and Tina, they were there a couple of years . Tina's brother was certain Pat Brennan who ended up as the owner of the Old Crown in Digbeth .

Last edited:
There was a cellar bar in Temple Street - the end near St Phillips churchyard but I can't remember what it was called - this would be in the 90's. The entrance door was at the side of an alleyway between the sides of buildings.
However I don't remember if it had a nautical theme - probably not the same one you are thinking of!
Many thanks heady days long night's what a great life, so much going on, so many places to go, so glad we grew up then, good times.

You are indeed right A Sparks , the Lord Nelson Upper Temple St . I never went in there myself but remember it very well

You are indeed right A Sparks , the Lord Nelson Upper Temple St . I never went in there myself but remember it very well
I went there quite a few times. The door (manned by a doorman in the evenings) was to the left of the white shutters in the photograph below and the bar was shaped like a ship. A Sparks, Country Road & paddyag, have already done a fine job with their descriptions @ #36-38, I remember those toasted sandwiches too paddyag ;), as well as trying a Courvoisier for the first time, prior to a 70's office Christmas party (a mistake:eek:)!

1690965886795.png

I went there quite a few times. The door (manned by a doorman in the evenings) was to the left of the white shutters in the photograph below and the bar was shaped like a ship. A Sparks, Country Road & paddyag, have already done a fine job with their descriptions @ #36-38, I remember those toasted sandwiches too paddyag ;), as well as trying a Courvoisier for the first time, prior to a 70's office Christmas party (a mistake:eek:)!

View attachment 182664
Courvoisier , wow going up market a bit weren't you while the rest of us did with half of mild ha ha .

The Trocadero is more the New Street end and still there - great old interiors.
View attachment 182653
Here are a couple of photographs of how it looks inside now:

1690966269956.png 1690966309507.png 1690966403139.png
It is also said to be haunted by the ghost of a former landlord, Henry Skinner who was murdered there in 1885 (when it was named The Bodega wine bar) and it was a fire station prior to that.

Sounds like the old "Trocadero", to me, but I last visited in around 63, so could have changed its name and decor, not sure if I have spelt the name right !!
Ah, the Troc! My Saturday after a moring at work to the Bull Ring for cockles and mussels. Late afternoon take the 29 to Snow Hill and the Kardomah. Two coffees then off to the Troc for a couple of tall ones, then who knows :cool: , so many Saturdays and such a great time! Funny thing, two of us would meet at the Kardomah, by the time we left for the Troc there were three or four and more at the Troc!

Here are a couple of photographs of how it looks inside now:

View attachment 182667 View attachment 182668 View attachment 182669
It is also said to be haunted by the ghost of a former landlord, Henry Skinner who was murdered there in 1885 (when it was named The Bodega wine bar) and it was a fire station prior to that.
Great photos and memory jogger, thank you SO much! We always sat at the bar in the left photo. If I recall the top of the bar was covered in copper sheeting. We had wonderful times there!

I was bar manager at Snobs night club 86, remember millionaire. Boogies, Edwards 7 and 8 , Tressins, great times
i spent many a weekend in Eddies, starting off at the pen & wig or costers 1st and sometimes the Barrel, oh what fond memories

Hi, anyone have any info on the grapes bar on hill street. My parents worked there in the late 70s, Nicky & Maureen Murphy.
I used to pop in there occasionally in the late 70s & 80s. Downstairs was somewhere that you could go in for a quiet chat with friends. It is now run as a shop, but the second photograph shows it when it was still a pub following a name change and the third shows the old Grapes (before it was replaced by the new building in the 60s) in the days of the tram.

1705313272013.png 1705313584894.png 1705313977155.png

Not in the city but The Dolphin in Acocks Green had a bar that was decorated as a galleon. One side had a large hole that looked like a cannon ball had gone through it.
I always wondered if the pub would sink. It did,it's now a supermarket.:mad:

NoddKD voyaged many a happy night aboard The Dolphin.

Would anyone remember any that worked in the grapes in late 70s or early 80s, my parents worked with Jim Smith, Tony McGowan (bouncer) Georgina & Stephen pyzer.

Enjoyed reading through this thread some great old venues my time going into town was early 1970s the ones i remember are
The Gilded Cage which i think had dancers on Saturday nights in a cage . The Bierkeller Needless Alley . The Parasoll Hurst Street . Bogarts which i think had three floors with the top floor having a DJ playing mostly Progressive Rock . Can anyone help with anymore memories of these establishments ?

Enjoyed reading through this thread some great old venues my time going into town was early 1970s the ones i remember are
The Gilded Cage which i think had dancers on Saturday nights in a cage . The Bierkeller Needless Alley . The Parasoll Hurst Street . Bogarts which i think had three floors with the top floor having a DJ playing mostly Progressive Rock . Can anyone help with anymore memories of these establishments ?
I was a regular at The Parasol in the mid/late 70s. Enjoyed the music played by the DJ and we often finished up there, having started the night at The Parisian. It was the pub to be at, in my opinion at the weekend. The Bierkeller was also worth a visit, didn't it have a pool table downstairs, or am I confusing it with somewhere else? I can't say I frequented either of the other two.

If I remember correctly, Bogart's had a 'Bierkeller' in the basement (there was a small pool table room on the ground floor near the entrance). There was also a Mr Bill's Bierkeller in Needless Alley. The Parasol was a basement pub with the entrance on Hill Street. I liked The Parisian which had a balcony from which the floor underneath could be viewed. The Parisian became a Davenport's pub called Cagney's in the 80s.

Back