• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Public washing baths in nechells

alana124

master brummie
my friend and i lived in cromwell st nechells 1950 ish does any know of a public baths where you could take a towel and soap for a bath
i think it was past st mathews church on the way to ashted row

That would be the baths on the corner of Willis St and Francis St A regular Saturday morning Trip. Dek

Hello alana hope you,re well.
i thought you,would have known the answer to this one,
i my memory serves me right Nechells baths was one
and wood cock st the other close to us in Cromwell st
regards Derek ( ps could,nt remember the Willis st one)

Sorry lads you,re both wrong straight down Cromwell St past St Mathews Up Willis St 20 yards before THe Ashsted Cinema on the right The Public Baths this was my patch. Dek

hi Dek i lived just across grt lister st opp st Mathews and perhaps used it
mostly it was the tin bath happy days..
sorry i missed you on saterday baz maybe next time.. regards dereklcg

On the subject of washing baths those still remaining on 1st April 1973 are listed on this timetable issued by the Corporation Baths Department that might be of interest.

Alana, Dek, Bazz, Derek.

The washing baths were as stated on the corner of Francis St and Willis St not 50 yards from my house in Francis St. I used them infrequently as the tin bath was much cheaper. The only trouble in our house was finding a time when you could take a bath with some semblance of privacy. Having only one room downstairs made it awkward to say the least.

Phil

Yes i am sure thats the one my friend margaret ad i used to go on a sat morning, find it so hard to believe we had to go to such great lengths to be clean
all the mod cons we have today are a real blessing don t you think

hi all. aston church rd nechells park rd. baths.was close to were i lived.so mom would make me go every friday night and monday night.
sure is different now they have converted it.any one got any pic of the inside the way it was?

I rember those baths we used them all the time even on the morning i got married i was round there so were my bridesmaids,every one was singing that song Im getting married in the morning it was a laugh.and i was always at the old ashted cinema the ash hole we called it

yes you are right it was by the ashted row picture house what we called the ash hole and we would go once a week for the pleasure of getting to use some decent soap at home we only had carbolic ...abc

Yes you are quite right but they was one of the first to introduce mid night mattne films as an experinmement
It later for about six months if I recall it properly one or two tried it as well but the idea fell flat on its face
And they was the first to end it at first a couple of weeks packing them in after it was nighty night all finished
And I have to admitted we my brothers and friends was in the first two weeks Astonian,,,,,,,,,,

G'day, talking of baths, if you lived in Doidge Rd. every house had a' fold-up' bath, filled from the copper, it was used regularly through the war and into the 50s. the neighbours (tw0 ladies) would come round on Fridays nights,but guess who had to keep the fire stoke up?
Now it looks from pics they have extended the kitchen into the coalhouse to make a bathroom, what luxury! these houses were offered at 600 pound to sitting tenants,

Back