• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Public Office Moor Street

Sounds like there was a massive number of 'spectators' rather than rioters Paul. But the strategies employed by the army and police seem to have succeeded in eventually getting it all under control. Interestingly there was a conspiracy theory about the riots at the time too. But quite honestly with the price of bread, lack of work, poor economy etc etc, it's hardly surprising there were riots. It's also interesting that there were calls for leniency when convicting those who were charged. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346605324.030969.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346605358.008363.jpg

Very interesting, I wonder if the lad called "Aston" actually came from Aston, was he a waive and stray who did't know his surname!!
But to be transported for life to "Botany Bay", well makes your skin crawl.
paul

Hadn't thought of that Paul, the boy Aston could well have been from Aston. Viv.

Have found him Thomas Aston , only date of assize is 27th July . Possibly this was the start of the assize, and 2nd Aug is when they were sentenced. He is with Jeremiah Howeel, Francis roberts & John Jones. Thomas is 15 . Can't read first word of crime which looks like "Toby Demolishing a house.chartist" . They were sentenced to death, but last column says they were finally transported, the others for life, Thomas for 10 years. See below crime listed

criminal_register__thomas__Aston_july_27_1839A.jpg

Thanks Mike. Only 15 poor lad. Makes you wonder how many of the 2011 rioters would have been sentenced to death or transported under the 1839 laws. Mike I think the first word is Fely - short for felony. Only think that as I came across it when trawling through the records myself for a record of one of my relations. Viv.

hi guys
on the subject of moor street ; did we or did we not have the motor taxation office on moor street by the station in 1960 ish
before they moved down to ozools street just up on broad street and it was next to the actors ware houses and costume deptment ? .
best wishes astonian ;;;

TE="Vivienne14, post: 437224, member: 14520"]A bit more info and a picture of the stocks from the Public Office yard. The ground floor of the Public Office was used by the Street Commissioners for meetings and the upper level was used as the court. The Moor Street prison became inadequate in the 1830s so, between 1837 and 1849, it was used only for prisoners immediately before trial and immediately after conviction. Between committal and trial, and to serve their sentences, prisoners were sent to the county prison at Warwick. Sometimes crimes were dealt with locally, for which these stocks were put to use. The stocks were originally positioned at the Welch Cross (junction of Bull Street,High Street and Dale End) but were removed in1806 to the Public Office yard. In 1906 the stocks were moved to Aston Hall. Viv.

/ATTACH][/QUOTE]
Hi All.
I have just read that those of a more respectable class (i.e. had a bit of money) who were brought to Moor Street Prison were supplied with a feather bed and clean sheets etc for which a charge of one shilling per night was made which went to the Borough Fund. So much for all being equal
Old Boy

Back