• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Public Houses

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi Guys,
As I Have Just Previously Said There was twenty five Public Houses Around The bull ring in the early years of brum
They played An Important Part In the lives Of Residents, Business people and the visitors To The area,
They were Social Events For get Together for concerts, sing song and various Shows
There were Over Twenty five In The area and the majority of these No Longer Exist
The Following Details Will I hope Will bring Back Those Happy Memories Of Yesterday,
I Myself Recall The stories My Mother Told me Of Being Close To The Bull ring Living at number 1 New Canal Street , Just
At The Bottom of The Bull ring where She Was Brought Up In A Big House And Ajoing Transport coffee shop
known As bed and Breakfast For Transport Drivers and It Was Next To Typhoo tea And The stories Of Big Parties
Being carried out There she Some had come From Abroad whom Stayed And some was Top brassed police officers and magistrates
Was also was wee Georgie wood and billy cotton band leader whom they travelled with quite often abroad
My youngest Sister As got These pics of them all Together
But without loosing the threads on the bull ring the civic centre many years Ago Was A Music Hall
And She told Me How her Mother Had put Her Into Tap School For years and trained very hard ToBeLike her mother
And her sister whom was married to A Perks whom also Had A Dance School Down in nechells Park Road In the 1800
she Was Also A stage Dancer The whole Three of them my nan, Bertha Hinton kept a monkey in a large cage and every where she went he went with Them
I Believe this club became a. communist club one of George jelfs places
And one of them I think she said it washer great brand father done some comparing There
So As it was in those days public house was the thing Of Yesteryears. And The Davonports came weekly With bar tells
But getting back on Track Around The Bull Ring There Was 25 Public Houses

Here Is A Listing Of Pubs

Grand Turq. 34 Bell Street, corner of Lease Lane manager T P Collier 1944
Black Swann. 5 Bromsgrove street ,,,,,,,,,,,, N,F. McCoy. ,,,,,,,,
Australian Bar. 48 Bromsgrove street. ,,,,,,,,,,,, J, N Rickerby
New Inn Hotel, 191 /92 Bromsgrove street ,,,,,,,,,,,, A, Cemm
Castle and Falcon. 109 Digbeth, ,,,,,,,,,,,,, W,J,T ,Wiley,
Wagon And Horses,14 edgbaston Street. ,,,,,,,,,, closed Down,,,
The Comet 5 The High Street. ,,,,,,,,,,, Closed Down,
Lion and Lamb 17 High Street. ,,,,,,,,,,,,, closed Down,
Brooks Vault, 51 Jamaica Row ,,,,,,,,,,,, F Brown,,
plough and Harrow 81 Jamaica Row. ,,,,,,,,,,, F, W Dorian,
Wool
Back Hotel 8/9 Moor Street ,,,,,,,,,,,'' J Blower,
Swann Hotel 148 New Street. ,,,,,,,,,, Closed Down
Phoenix. Hotel. 3 Park Street
This was originally known as Old Phoenix Inn,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,, E, Freeman
The Board Inn. 7 Phillips Street ,,,,,,, A Garnett
Spread Eagle 14 spiceal Street ,,,,,,,,,,,,, Closed Down
Stevens Bar, 149 and 89 High Street Top of The Bull Ring Area
closed For Trading after permitted Hours on The 25 the March 1958
upon Expiration Of Lease and a M,B House,

Well Guys Its Getting Late So I Think I Will Stop here even thou I have loads more to print
And We Will Save More Space For Others Best. Wishes. Astonian,,,,Alan,,,

Back