• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Public graves at Warstone Lane

Many thanks for the work you have done, it's good to be able to link the picture with the relevant slab. I have a few pictures of the ones with our family on , but they are not such good quality.
rosie.

Took advantage of sunshine yesterday (and no leaves on the tree!) to get a better picture of B 1792. Click the image to enlarge it.
WL-B1792.jpg

My Gt Gt grandfather Richard Payne is buried somewhere in a public grave in Warstone he was number 20 something of over 200 (I gave it written down somewhere)
How do the following a grave for so many people?

Thank you so much for your help. Hope to be in Midlands in few weeks time. Definitely will go visit my Grandads
Place of rest.
Regards
Celia Randall nee Dillworth
Picture earlier on thread of flat stone over Vault by Leslam, also a sketch of where it is.
These Vaults were reopened after Birmingham City Council took over the Cemetery and than "Topped up" mostly with the Councils burials of Still born children, and the elderly impoverished dying in hospital with council funerals, but also available as the cheapest burials for those working class with little cash to spare..

Took advantage of sunshine yesterday (and no leaves on the tree!) to get a better picture of B 1792. Click the image to enlarge it.
View attachment 74547
I have just found out that 2 of my uncles are buried in Warstone Cemetry in a public grave, they both died in infancy, they are both buried in section 'O' Nos 841 (1909) and No. 1130 (1918). Do you know if there is there a plaque listing their names by that section?

Hello Linda, I know for certain that there isn't one for O 841 as I have a relative buried there, a child Ivy Pressdee. Not so sure about the other one but I don't think there is in that section.
O 841 is down at the back of the Cemetery by the "Mint Wall" on the opposite side of the path to the Harry Gem grave which has just been restored.
Hope this helps.
rosie.

Hi I am a new member. I have discover that my baby brother who was born in 1948 and only lived 12 hours is buried in the public grave K-18. This thread has been so informative but the only picture I cannot find in the thread is a picture of K-18. I was wondering if anyone may have one?

just had a look at post 18 and yes its a shame that a photo of k18 is the only one missing but if you intend on visiting it should not be hard to locate ..it will be the slab in the middle of k17 and k19 i would think

lyn

Hello Pepper, I think a couple of those slabs are missing on that side, Key Hill Brian will know if he spots this thread. It may be that they were covered in that horrible ivy, there has been some work done above the catacombs so here's hoping!
Not all the names are included on those slabs for various reasons and many could not afford to have it done.
rosie.

Hello Pepper, I think a couple of those slabs are missing on that side, Key Hill Brian will know if he spots this thread. It may be that they were covered in that horrible ivy, there has been some work done above the catacombs so here's hoping!
Not all the names are included on those slabs for various reasons and many could not afford to have it done.
rosie.
The slabs have all been cleared off now - so should be clearly visible. Passed by a few days ago - looks different with the railings up - cannot just walk in from anywhere now! Builders were on site and paths were a mess - they have cleared that stubborn ivy from the catacomb wall, repaired the wall where it was propped up =- looks awful, new parapet edging around the catacombs - stands out! and new fencing inside the parapet - very modern, ugly - but stops anyone from jumping off - so H&S are OK - If you pop down now you will be able to check out the headstone - but it will on;ly have a dozen or so names on it - those who pay - hundreds buried in there are not listed

View attachment 74547
Hello Not sure if I am doing this correctly. My gtgtgrandfather is in G1020. It cost him£1+15s in 1875 so I am hoping there may be a stone. His name is. James McCulloch or McCullock. I would be sooooo grateful if anyone knows anything!

MCCULLOCK James
G 1020

19381 is the record number I think.
I can't find any info about a stone as it looks as if it might be a public grave.
see here for where I found the info

If you enter his name in the first search option and the click on the smll green rectangle you get more info. McCullock gave me two options.
1636372452618.png

Last edited:
MCCULLOCK James
G 1020

19381 is the record number I think.
I can't find any info about a stone as it looks as if it might be a public grave.
see here for where I found the info

If you enter his name in the first search option and the click on the smll green rectangle you get more info. McCullock gave me two options.
View attachment 163526
19381 means he is the 19,381st record in the register. G 10120 is the Grave number - area on Pittsford St, next area down from Section H which borders Pittsford St & Vyse St. Very few gravestones in the area

Back