• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Public graves at Warstone Lane

leslam

Brummie by marriage
There are large public graves above the catacombs. They are in sections I, J and K as indicated on the diagram.
warstone_lane_cemetery_catacombs_75pc.jpg

Section J
The photos for section J are linked to https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5395&page=3
As I indicated on that post, slabs for 3-J and 5-J are buried or missing.
Section I
Click on the relevant link below to see photos for 14-I and 15-I. 13-I is under leaves and ivy

I-14

I-15
Section K
Links to photos for 30-K to 37-K will be added to this thread

Graves 17-K to 23-K are partially obscured by leaves (I didn't go prepeared with a sack or I would have cleared and photographed - maybe another day). I couldn't decide if there was a grave 16-K. If there is, it's obscured by leaves and ivy.

Last edited:
I recently wrote to Handsworth cemetery concerning the grave of my great grandmother, Sarah Ann Worsey, who is buried at Warstone Lane. They have confirmed that she is buried in a large public/common grave, section O grave number 1256. As I now live in Devon, it is not possible to visit Birmingham very often, so if anyone can take a photograph of this grave when they are at Warstone Lane, I would very much appreciate it. Does anyone know the cost of burial in 1900 in a public grave, and by comparison, the cost for a private grave.

The following links are display two different photos of the same public grave memorial mounted on the cemetry wall in section B or D (it's not clear which and it isn't marked). It's almost hidden unless you are being very nosey! There were obviously several others mounted alongside as there are more mounting blocks on the wall. What a shame they weren't preserved.

There are two images of the same memorial. Because of the condition of the stone, it is quite difficult to get a clear image of both columns. I hope that between them, all the names are legible. Contact me if you want a higher resolution version

Photo 1
Photo 2

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the photo Les it does help as we can scan the names just in case:).
For those who don't know click on the photo and then again to enlarge it. You can then read the names. I notice there is a Bullivant near the bottom maybe a relative of Max's:)!

I think Warstone Lane prices would have been similar to those at Key Hill for private graves, which I detail below. I did look up some Warstone public ones for someone but the date was around 1921, and that was £1.5s.0d. In 1900 it probably did not cost much less, if at all.

Around 1863, it does not say private but I suspect it is. These are Key Hill prices.

The price of a grave is separate from the burial. Grave prices are given underneath

a single interment betrween 2pm and 5pm - 7s 6d
if before 2 and after 5 - 10s.0d
if between 2 and 5 with name, age and time of decease engraved on stone £1.0s 0d
if before 2 or after 5 with name, etc as above - £1 2s 6d

It goes on to say:

Unbricked family graves starting at 7ft deep £2. 18s.0d (this is for three interments) - this goes on to 20ft unlined.
Brick lines family graves - 12' deep cost £9. 10s 0d - up to 20 ft which cost £14.18s.0d

Headstones cost £1.16s 0d to £2 5s 0d - 7ft x 3ft, I preume this would be for a ledger stone (flat on the ground).

In the 1940's an unlined family grave started at £4 13s 6d. There were loads of add-ons.

Added to the cost in 1900 would have been the funeral costs which were greater than today in proportion, and also the family had to provide things such as burial cards and arm bands, etc. There was a massive trade going on in burials. Rip-off comes to mind.

Shortie

I have the grave acquisition document for the Heptinstall grave N 418 at Warstone Lane. Unfortunately, I don't think that the bill survived (though I have so many documents that it is hard to be absolutely sure!). The grave holds six and according to the burial record at Handsworth, when it was first used in November 1849, the tolling bell cost 5/-. A lot of money in 1849.

acquistion_of_grave_warstone_lane.jpg

Last edited:
That's really very interesting. A bell costing 5/- was a lot of money, that's right. I have a copy of an original bill for Key Hill in about 1848, for headstone, grave, etc, and that was rather a lot. Offhand cannot remember, but it was quite a few pounds. I shall have to see if I can find it. I also have loads of paperwork, and sometimes what I want I just cannot lay my hands on.

Shortie

Meant to say that this is the grave of the Heptinstalls who owned the file manufactory in the Ann Street thread. The stone is buried. The Lawledge family (other half of Heptinstall-Lawledge) are also buried in Warstone Lane and their monument is actually in one piece.
I have written up the Heptinstall side, but I need do the Lawledge side.

I hold some A3 copies of the Warstone grave plans,and I can locate that grave easily on the plan. Unfortunately, I suspect the headstone, if there was one, will have been removed, so it is more than likely just a patch of grass. This is to save any disappointment in the future.

Shortie

Another brilliant piece of information Les. The grave document is lovely. You have done so much on Warstone Lane Cemetery fantastic!

I know it will be difficult to locate the Heptinstall grave exactly as I had that problem with my buried family grave. The only difficulty is Warstone Lane is Church of England and the rules are a bit different for uncovering graves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Shortie for the offer. It had a flat stone and that was buried in the 1950s - no grass though, just sandy ground. Handsworth found the inscription for me on their database. I know where it is I think, but could do with meeting up with someone to double check that I have the right plot. Luckily, the next plot has a number and a monument still.

Update on section I:

Brian has uncovered the hidden bit of I -13, so next time I'm there, I'll take a photo. We also discovered the completely obscured stones for I - 12 and I - 11. The latter are still more hidden than visible, but at least we know they are there! I -12 certainly has some names on it, but we couldn't tell on I -11 as we only uncovered the top corner to confirm that it was actually there.

Fantastic news Les. You are making great headway at Warstone Lane Cemetery well done to you and Brian.

I have reloaded the images in this thread.

In post#5, I was unclear if the wall-mounted stone was section B or section D as it is right on the border of the two.

I have extracted the following names from the slab, so I wonder if Brian is apply to identify which section the slab belongs to? Two of the names are:
Lucy Russell died Feb 3rd 1922 aged 56
Thomas G S Gummery died Dec 30 1883 age 5 years​

Last edited:
Summary of public graves above the catacombs

For a variety of reasons (originally underneath the ivy, omitted from original photos etc), the links and photos for the public graves above the catacombs have become scattered over different threads and posts.

I now have a complete set of photos, so I thought it might be useful to pull it all together. The next couple of posts will include
  • annotated photo showing the position of the slabs
  • links to photos of all the flat stones in the section.
This is the arrangement of the slabs in J section
WL-J-slabs-annotated.JPG

Click the relevant link below to see a photo of the slab:
1-J
2-J
4-J
[no slab for 3-J]
6-J
[no slab for 5-J]
7-J
8-J
9-J
10-J
11-J
12-J
13-J
14-J
15-J
[no slab for 16-J, 17-J, 18-J]​

Last edited:
I have reloaded the images in this thread.

In post#5, I was unclear if the wall-mounted stone was section B or section D as it is right on the border of the two.

I have extracted the following names from the slab, so I wonder if Brian is apply to identify which section the slab belongs to? Two of the names are:
Lucy Russell died Feb 3rd 1922 aged 56
Thomas G S Gummery died Dec 30 1883 age 5 years​

The wall mounted memorial is B 1792 .

There were obviously other memorials at one time, as the mounts are still there on the wall. presumably they came loose and were broken and disposed of?

Brian

ps Catacomb pics are brilliant!

Back