• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pub Token

barrie

master brummie
Going through some of my stuff today, I found something I had completely forgotten. It is a 2d token, issued by a Samuel Anthony of the Ivy Tavern, 110 Bloomsbury, Birmingham.

I'll bet that token could tell a few tales.

Barrie.

Going through some of my stuff today, I found something I had completely forgotten. It is a 2d token, issued by a Samuel Anthony of the Ivy Tavern, 110 Bloomsbury, Birmingham.

Barrie.
I wonder where this pub was I cannot recall a pub with this name. Dek

There's no date on the token Dek, so it could be from god knows when. Forgot to say in original post, its made of brass.

Barrie.

Samuel Anthony was listed as a retail brewer at an unnamed beer retailer at 110 bloomsbury , next to the junction with heneage st in 1862 and 1867. He is not there in 1858 or 1868. Later 209 bloomsbury st was known as the Brewery Tavern.

Blimey!! Thanks Mike. I'll make a note of that and keep it with the token. It says on the token that he sold Burton Ales and Dublin Porter, I can almost smell the inside of that pub.

Barrie.

Purely out of interest I had a look for him on the 1861 census with his wife Elizabeth, he is born Bristol and his wife is born London. His trade is given as Seal Engraver and Publican, and the address is The Ivy Tavern, 110 Bloomsbury.

By the 1871 census he is just shown as a seal engraver, so it looks like he had given up beer slinging.

How did I get started on this? I think I need to get out more. lol.

In the a book called
Public House Checks of Birmingham and Smethwick By R.N.P Hawkins published in 1978 by Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery

there are the following

IVY TAVERN
110 Bloomsbury
William Alfred Robertson 1856--57--58
Samuel Anthony 1858--59--65
Henry Purden 1867--69

The first makers name was Pope there is no makers name for Sameul Anthony and H Smith made the last token for Mr Purden

Thank you very much for that info, I will add it to what I already have. Its all very interesting.

Barrie.

Samuel Anthony was listed as a retail brewer at an unnamed beer retailer at 110 bloomsbury , next to the junction with heneage st in 1862 and 1867. He is not there in 1858 or 1868. Later 209 bloomsbury st was known as the Brewery Tavern.
Thanks Mike that makes sense the one side of Bloomsbury St was demolished between Heneage St and Loxton St (before my era, to allow the building of South Tower)
Just as a matter of interest where abouts was 209. Dek

hi barrie..hang on to that token they are highly sort after now...must check my notes but im pretty sure i had rellies in heneage st round about that time....i will do a search for a pic of this building..it would be nice to have one to go with the token...if phil reads this hes got more chance than me of having a pic..

lyn

mike i wonder if you can find out what was the number of the rising sun pub corner of heneage and bloomsbury st...just wondering if it was formally the brewery tavern..the pic i have of it is dated in the 60s...there again i could be way off track..

thanks mike...

Last edited:
mike i wonder if you can find out what was the number of the rising sun pub corner of heneage and bloomsbury st...just wondering if it was formally the brewery tavern..the pic i have of it is dated in the 60s...there again i could be way off track..

thanks mike...
Hello Lyn I think the Rising Sun was on the corner of Heneage St and Henry St.I too would like to know where the Brewery Tavern was.Dek

The numbering, and also the streets to a certain extent, altered before 1888, but no 110 bloomsbury in
c 1867 later would be no 34 bloomsbury St. It is marked in red on the map (which is from c 1902) . on the same map no 209 in the later numbering (which was the brewers tavern) is marked on the corner of Cranbury St in blue

position_of_110_Bloomsbury_in_1867__and_209_Bloomsbury_st_in_1920_on_c1902_map.jpg

Barrie, I think you should stay in more when you start up a topic like this, it's really interesting and what a piece of history to keep!
Sue

This is a quote from the book
"These discs, were made by Birmingham diesinkers and stamping workshops, and were used by the individual taverns as a forms of small change and advertisment."

Thanks for the information, interesting stuff, i will check my old suit pockets see if i still have any....

Public House Checks of Birmingham and Smethwick By R.N.P Hawkins published in 1978 by Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery.

I have found a copy of that book on "Amazon" so have sent for it. Looking forward to having a read of it.

Barrie.

hi barrie well if the ivy tavern changed its name to the brewery tavern i have a pic of it taken in 1960...well its not extactly a pic as such..its in the form of a fridge magnet..i have lots of them here as i know someone who used to make key rings and fridge magnets of many pubs in birmingham...he was having a clear out and gave me a load of them...just by chance i was looking through them and came accross the brewery tavern..dont know how it will scan but i will go and have a go...back in a bit..

here you go barrie...its not turned out to bad considering its a fridge magnet..:D

lyn

glad to help barrie..i only found it by chance as well...i must go through the whole lot later to see what other pubs there are...

lyn...

I have a confession to make. All that ifo and the picture were put into "Paint" by my Grand Daughter. I don't have a clue how she does it. lol.

well done barrie..nice bit of info and with the pub token makes it even better:)

i have a confession to make now...i posted a you tube video earlier on the severn valley railway thread...i got our tom to do it...:D:D

hi barrie well if the ivy tavern changed its name to the brewery tavern i have a pic of it taken in 1960...well its not extactly a pic as such..its in the form of a fridge magnet..i have lots of them here as i know someone who used to make key rings and fridge magnets of many pubs in birmingham...he was having a clear out and gave me a load of them...just by chance i was looking through them and came accross the brewery tavern..dont know how it will scan but i will go and have a go...back in a bit..
Sorry guys the Brewery Tavern was on the corner of Crambury St (opposite the police station)Mike post informs us of number changes this pub was down the other end of Bloomsbury St.Dek

Back