• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pub Quiz Time Again

Here is an image that will make for a nice picture quiz - by the way I do not have a full-frontal image of this pub. This tantalising glimpse is all I have. However, your quiz question is "NAME THE PUB?"

Smoke Room.jpg

I believe that is the entrance to Small Heath library - now a mosque or similar. You can see the lantern in the photo in the link. (post 5201 - 21 October 2018, page 261). As I left the Midlands aged 16 the only pubs I was familiar with were those who had off licences where you could buy 'pop' and crisps!

That's what it looks like today, not when the photo in the quiz was taken as far as I can see. I did mention it had a new owner and use.

Thanks Robert. I thought it was but that pub name applies to others, as far as I know, and Small Heath was not an area I visited often. Mind you it was a decent trolleybus ride through there. I did cycle in part of Green Lane on my journey, for six months, from the Shirley area to Fordrough Lane, but the library, I see, was some way off my route.

Gunmakers Arms
Nobody having a go at this - I thought the large edifice was a good clue!

Whatever the name of that pub it was demolished before 1970.
Edwardian image. This is a tough quiz but I am sure one of the forum will rise to the challenge. The person who identifies the pub will receive a pint of beer at a future social/meet-up!
Edwardian image. This is a tough quiz but I am sure one of the forum will rise to the challenge. The person who identifies the pub will receive a pint of beer at a future social/meet-up!

Back