• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pub Quiz League

Like Elmo, little direct knowledge, but google and various 'pub' related sites have helped me. I had a book 'Birmingham Pubs' bought me earlier this week but of little use now unless Kieron poses another quiz in the future!

Congrats and thanks too to my main rivals, Elmo & Guyarab who have together driven my competitive efforts. (What happened to Guyarab?)

Just like to add my congratulations to "Curly the Champion Pub Spotter" and too Kieron for providing the great entertainment this post has given, not only to me but all who have taken part. Well done to each and everyone of you, you all deserve a nice pint in the Pub of your choice! PS I did not take part in the quiz, not enough knowledge but the one and only Pub sign I recognized was one that defeated you all, the Sentinal on Suffolk Street. Thanks once again Kieron for such good fun and a lot of information.

Last edited:
Only three people identified the White Horse/Beehive combo on the corner of Congreve Street and Great Charles Street. The replacement White Horse was a real beauty, equal to the likes of the Philharmonic in Liverpool that is now Grade 1 listed. Indeed, Birmingham was once littered with architectural jewels of the pub trade but the council has not treasured its topographical treasures like other cities. Radiorails moves up a place whilst Curly and Elmo continue to pile on the points as we arrive at the final photograph.

Curly has generously suggested that the prize should go in the raffle for the next meet/social so I will find a nice Birmingham item for this. Once again, CONGRATULATIONS to Curly for his triumph in the Pub Quiz League.

League Table
Curly 74 Points
Elmo 71 Points
Guyarab 65 Points
knobbydave 29 Points
Astoness 25 Points
allanbrum 21 Points
Radiorails 17 Points
Mikejee 16 Points
A Sparks 13 Points
Williamstreeter 10 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Dave Riley 6 Points
Morturn 5 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
sospiri 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
The final photograph for BHF members to solve - name the pub?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Saturday 09.00hrs 1st August. Good luck!

122.jpg

well done curly and well done to those who took part...i am quite pleased to have trailed along in 5th spot :)

many thanks curly for donating your prize to our next forum meet up raffle...that is so kind of you..

and to keiron thank you for helping to keep some of us occupied during the past few months of lockdown...it has been a great help in such difficult times...and please dont forget that anytime in the future you fancy putting on the odd pub please do

oh curly would you please accept this winners cup on behalf of the team:D

lyn

winners cup 2.jpg

Curly, Elmo and Dave Riley identified the final photograph yesterday - the Great Western on Camden Street. Thanks to everyone who have expressed their positive thoughts regarding the pub quiz - much appreciated. It was a "lockdown" diversion that seemingly entertained, surprised and frustrated in fairly equal measure! Lyn has suggested leaving the thread up-and-running for an occasional quiz which, especially as we are still in uncertain times, I am happy to do. However, this league is now finalised as :

League Table
Curly 75 Points
Elmo 72 Points
Guyarab 65 Points
knobbydave 29 Points
Astoness 25 Points
allanbrum 21 Points
Radiorails 17 Points
Mikejee 16 Points
A Sparks 13 Points
Williamstreeter 10 Points
Dave Riley 7 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Morturn 5 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
sospiri 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
The Rest 0

Well done to Keiron for taking the time & effort to set the varied daily posers and, also, to everybody who took part. I, and, certainly others have probably reminisced their past haunts and ones they never even knew existed, great fun. Well done again to Curly, a great effort. Being a close competitor, I know how much effort he has put into solving the questions. A deserved winner. A pat on the back to all!

Just want to say thank you so much for all your efforts to provide the quiz for us every day for these past weeks.
It's been an education and great fun ... and frustrating at times, trying to come up with an answer! I'm just chuffed that I managed to get a few right and despite living in London for over 20 years, Google thinks I am in Birmingham from my searches :laughing:

Well done to everyone and a big thanks to you Keiron!

Congratulations to all who took part and especially to those at the top Curly, Elmo and Guyarab. What impressive scores. A big thanks must go to Keiron for all his effort, time and trouble to assemble such a fantastic quiz that I am sure many have found enjoyable and at times frustrating. I myself did not do too well however I must say I discovered a lot about Birmingham Pubs whilst trying to solve the puzzles and also sadly seeing how many good old fashioned Birmingham pubs we have lost over the years.

Thanks again Keiron, you definitely deserve a couple on the house for this one, cheers mate.

It has been an interesting quiz and time. I am now acquainted with the exteriors of many Birmingham pubs -- past and present it seems - and some of the geography of the area that they were situated.
I entered the quiz late but was surprised with what I achieved.
Sadly I was not able to spare much time to the final day - it would have been good to guess Great Western as that is my favourite pre BR railway, one which ran at the bottom of my garden as a child.
However, I had to call an ambulance to get my wife to hospital yesterday, which took precedence over anything else. I drove to Torquay late yesterday evening to bring her home.* No visits or companions allowed in hospitals just yet. Apart from the needles and other tests they did one was for Covid-19. She said it was an unpleasant test, but I presume it is more involved than the drive-in ones. We have to visit the hospital on Monday for more tests.
I already thanked Kieron, in a PM, for his stalwart efforts over the weeks of lockdown (we are still in less severe lockdown) but another type of quiz, while not impossible, would be hard to find and top and maybe less likely to be so interesting and productive. I think the only other person - now sadly lost to BHF - who had a great collection of photos was Phil. He did give the two Birmingham fora some teasers! I know the collection exists with a BHF Member but it would be onerous and I am not going to suggest they make use of it for a quiz.

* The hospital is about twelve miles or so away, so the 24 miles or so is the farthest distance I have driven since March.

May I add my voice to the thanks expressed for Kieron and the way he organised the pub quiz league during these strange and difficult times. Congratulations to the winner Curly and the front runners Elmo and Guyarab. I particularly found the last three puzzles quite hard and am still mystified how anyone managed to identify the Witton Arms for the pub sign and even more so when it was revealed the drawing was for the White Horse in Congreve Street. Can I also at this time thank Jim for his continuing support for the BHF website and the moderators for maintaining it as a friendly, welcoming and informative site as the pub quiz league and Kieron have so admirably demonstrated. Thanks again. Allanbrum

I particularly found the last three puzzles quite hard and am still mystified how anyone managed to identify the Witton Arms for the pub sign and even more so when it was revealed the drawing was for the White Horse in Congreve Street.
Witton Arms - I did a search for pub signs on Google and found similar images, looked at 'possibles' in detail until I saw one with the right colours/pattern and it came up witton arms. Quiz showed (I think) a more recent sign.
White horse - I'd seen various drawings whilst searching other questions and initially thought the drawing was Town Hall Tavern on the corner of the old Ann St. but no! Further search revealed adjoining? White Horse Commercial Hotel/Beehive Pub

I am under the impression that the Witton Arms sign was a previous one, before the name change and reversion to its original name. But that is only my guess.

I am under the impression that the Witton Arms sign was a previous one, before the name change and reversion to its original name. But that is only my guess.
Yes, I agree,
it was an earlier one 1978 whereas the one I presumably viewed was photographed 2012.

Back