• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pub Quiz League

I liked the answer submitted by A Sparks yesterday :

"I believe the picture on the quiz today is the barometer on the Fighting Cocks in Moseley Village. I went to a gig there once and I've been in the village a number of times but I must admit, I don't ever remember noticing it! What's been so interesting about the quiz is that it's drawn attention to many things I've not noticed or realised before - probably the case for others too. I'm sure we've all learnt a lot!"

I hope some BHF members feel the same as this has been a very nice bonus of the Pub Quiz.

League Table
Curly 69 Points
Elmo 67 Points
Guyarab 65 Points
knobbydave 27 Points
Astoness 25 Points
allanbrum 18 Points
Mikejee 15 Points
A Sparks 13 Points
Radiorails 12 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Dave Riley 5 Points
Morturn 5 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
It is the final Saturday Stinker - lovely 1930s image but can you name the pub?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Sunday 09.00hrs 26th July. Good luck!

116.jpg

Curly has reached an incredible 70 points by identifying the Electric Tavern on Belgrave Road in yesterday's Saturday Stinker. Moreover, he also spotted the ladders next door - another case of the ladders!! Well done also to Elmo, Radiorails, allanbrum and Dave Riley for spotting this former Atkinson's house. Curly still has a two-point lead at the top - can Elmo reel him in before the end of the quiz?

League Table
Curly 70 Points
Elmo 68 Points
Guyarab 65 Points
knobbydave 27 Points
Astoness 25 Points
allanbrum 19 Points
Mikejee 15 Points
A Sparks 13 Points
Radiorails 13 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Dave Riley 6 Points
Morturn 5 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
It is the last Sunday in the quiz so we can have a Sunday Sale. I have plenty of these so I should have used more of them in the quiz. It is a plan that accompanied an auction sale notice. There is plenty of information on the plan so lots of clues or ways to tackle the problem. The tavern that I want you to name was not actually part of the auction but is marked adjacent to Lot 6 and marked by the arrow. Can you name the pub?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Monday 09.00hrs 27th July. Good luck!

117.jpg

I did not think yesterday's auction plan would present too many difficulties - how wrong I was? What puzzles me is that the plan shows that the building had to be numbered No.59. Curious therefore that quite a few people went for the Royal Oak, including league leader Curly. This was a great chance for Elmo to close the gap at the top but he went into radio silence. So, the only two correct answers were submitted by Mikejee and sospiri - well done to you both of you who identified the Gate Tavern.

League Table
Curly 70 Points
Elmo 68 Points
Guyarab 65 Points
knobbydave 27 Points
Astoness 25 Points
allanbrum 19 Points
Mikejee 16 Points
A Sparks 13 Points
Radiorails 13 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Dave Riley 6 Points
Morturn 5 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
sospiri 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
A look at some pub architecture today - a very nice clock tower but can you name the pub?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Tuesday 09.00hrs 28th July. Good luck!

118.jpg

Last edited:
Six people spotted the clock tower of the Salutation Inn on the corner of Snow Hill and Summer Lane - well done knobbydave, Curly, Williamstreeter, Radiorails, allanbrum and Elmo. Four more images to go and Curly has a 2 point lead. Can Elmo take it to the wire.

League Table
Curly 71 Points
Elmo 69 Points
Guyarab 65 Points
knobbydave 28 Points
Astoness 25 Points
allanbrum 20 Points
Mikejee 16 Points
Radiorails 14 Points
A Sparks 13 Points
Williamstreeter 10 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Dave Riley 6 Points
Morturn 5 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
sospiri 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
1958 is the year for today's image - very nice brick and stonework on both buildings but can you name the pub?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Wednesday 09.00hrs 29th July. Good luck!

119.jpg

Did yesterday's photograph feature a window cleaner who had lost his ladders? The pub in question was the White Horse in Moor Street. Well done to those who successfully spotted this public-house. Elmo notched up his 70th point but is still two points down with three images to go - though we have an inn sign and a toughie to maybe create an exciting finale .....

League Table
Curly 72 Points
Elmo 70 Points
Guyarab 65 Points
knobbydave 29 Points
Astoness 25 Points
allanbrum 21 Points
Mikejee 16 Points
Radiorails 15 Points
A Sparks 13 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Dave Riley 6 Points
Morturn 5 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
sospiri 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Everyone's favourite horror - the dreaded inn sign image. A lovely sign from 1978 but can you name the pub?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Thursday 09.00hrs 30th July. Good luck!

120.jpg

Only two people successfully identified the inn sign of the Witton Arms yesterday. I have just acquired a box of 1,500 slides featuring inn signs which will give me something to tackle over the winter! Radiorails is finishing the quiz in hot form whilst Curly has wrapped things up with his submission yesterday. We still have two images to go but CONGRATULATIONS to Curly for bagging the Pub Spotter of the Year award.

Curly - if you PM your address to me I will sort out a small prize. Same goes for Elmo who will get a runners-up prize for a sterling effort. The scores are really impressive .....

League Table
Curly 73 Points
Elmo 70 Points
Guyarab 65 Points
knobbydave 29 Points
Astoness 25 Points
allanbrum 21 Points
Mikejee 16 Points
Radiorails 16 Points
A Sparks 13 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Dave Riley 6 Points
Morturn 5 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
sospiri 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
We haven't had a drawing for a while so let's sling one in the mix for today's poser - name the pub?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Friday 09.00hrs 31st July. Good luck!

121.jpg

Back