• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pub Quiz League

Only one person gained a point yesterday as all other submissions came in after mw0njm posted the answer on the thread at 20.07hrs last night. The only fair decision is to discount all answers given after this. The post has since been removed but the damage was done. Anyway, Dave Riley did a good job of spotting The Cheshire on Cat Lane in Shard End. The pub later became known as the Cheshire Cat. Dave clocked the windows of the old Methodist Church on the opposite corner of Cat Lane/School Lane. My bonus clue was a reference to Jeff Lynne of Electric Light Orchestra who grew up close to The Cheshire in Shard End Crescent. He referenced Shard End in the song "All Over The World." Also once a resident of Shard End Crescent was Roger Taylor, drummer of Duran Duran who recorded the hit single "Planet Earth."

League Table
Curly 65 Points
Elmo 65 Points
Guyarab 65 Points
knobbydave 25 Points
Astoness 24 Points
allanbrum 16 Points
Mikejee 15 Points
A Sparks 12 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Radiorails 9 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Morturn 4 Points
Dave Riley 3 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Back to the inter-war years for today's photograph. Name the pub?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Monday 09.00hrs 20th July. Good luck!

110.jpg

I noted Pete said he has guessed the place but did not see his subsequent post. But yesterday was another de-foresting day outside and dealing with a second wasps nest. Hope to heavens there are no more! :laughing:
Maybe I will get to have a go today.

have a bash alan...the only way i will get it is if i have a piccie of it with that unusual roof :rolleyes:

have a bash alan...the only way i will get it is if i have a piccie of it with that unusual roof :rolleyes:
In between other things (Sunday afternoon is one of my radio afternoons) I have looked for the pub. No luck yet. The pub seems older then the photo suggests and maybe the metal trellis had gone by the time a photo was taken. Running out of time - again!
The nest removal was not a simple as the first one as it is deeper. The hole has been plugged and I have fenced the area off, mainly to keep the woofer away from the area.

Points have been few and far between this last few days - and yesterday's photograph stumped everyone. There is a thread on the forum dedicated to this building ...

My post #16 on that thread casts doubt over the name's origins. Anyway, no change to the league table ....

League Table
Curly 65 Points
Elmo 65 Points
Guyarab 65 Points
knobbydave 25 Points
Astoness 24 Points
allanbrum 16 Points
Mikejee 15 Points
A Sparks 12 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Radiorails 9 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Morturn 4 Points
Dave Riley 3 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Approaching the run-in to the deadline of 31st July, let's see how it goes with this inter-war photograph. Name the pub?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Tuesday 09.00hrs 21st July. Good luck!

111.jpg

I can award some points for yesterday's photograph ... but only a few as only Curly, allanbrum and Radiorails were the only three to identify the former Wellhead Tavern, more recently known as the Hare Of The Dog in Franchise Street at Perry Barr. Well done to these three intrepid pub-spotters. allanbrum consolidates his league position, Radiorails moves up a place and Curly goes clear at the top ... but only by a point. Can he hang on for ten days?

League Table
Curly 66 Points
Elmo 65 Points
Guyarab 65 Points
knobbydave 25 Points
Astoness 24 Points
allanbrum 17 Points
Mikejee 15 Points
A Sparks 12 Points
Radiorails 10 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Morturn 4 Points
Dave Riley 3 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Continuing the approach to the end of the quiz on 31st July, let's see how it goes with this Victorian image. Name the pub?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Wednesday 09.00hrs 22nd July. Good luck!

112.jpg

Only a couple of folks nabbed a point in identifying yesterday's photograph of the King's Arms on Suffolk Street. The tavern is discussed on the Suffolk Street thread at : https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/suffolk-st.32965/page-5
The dates of the two photographs [1897 and in 1907] do not seem to tie in with other stuff and I would hazard a guess that they are a little older. Barton and Binns got involved with this place in the mid-1890s, probably 1895 so would have advertised on the exterior. However, this can be seen in the image suggested as 1907. Holder's had not got around to removing/re-painting and I would suggest that this was taken just after they took over the property. This would make it older than 1907. Anyway, I would say that this image was nearer to 1890ish. Well done to Curly, Radiorails and Astoness for spotting the place. Curly now has a two point lead with just over a week to go ....

League Table
Curly 67 Points
Elmo 65 Points
Guyarab 65 Points
Astoness 25 Points
knobbydave 25 Points
allanbrum 17 Points
Mikejee 15 Points
A Sparks 12 Points
Radiorails 11 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Morturn 4 Points
Dave Riley 3 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Time for the Midweek Map Muddle. Some streets are only just being laid out on this late 18th century map. There are a few clues including a brewery. Your task is to name the pub that would be erected on the corner site indicated by the arrow?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Thursday 09.00hrs 23rd July. Good luck!

113.jpg

The brewery of John Giles & Co. was the key to yesterday's map muddle. This site was later expanded by the Forrest family and became known as the Warstone Brewery. This name was also what I was looking for as the Warstone Inn was on the corner of Icknield Street and Camden Street. Well done to those who solved the puzzle. knobbydave moves back up to 4th place whilst Elmo notches up his first point for a few days. He is now a clear second to Curly who has hit form at a key stage of the race for the title ...

League Table
Curly 68 Points
Elmo 66 Points
Guyarab 65 Points
knobbydave 26 Points
Astoness 25 Points
allanbrum 18 Points
Mikejee 15 Points
A Sparks 12 Points
Radiorails 11 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Dave Riley 4 Points
Morturn 4 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Time for another inn sign - this one being captured in 1977. Name the pub?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Friday 09.00hrs 24th July. Good luck!

114.jpg

Looking back over the quiz I note that the inn signs have bamboozled quite a few people a lot of the time! I am going to be ultra-nice to you all and give you a clue or something to narrow it down a little. This place was NOT out in the suburbs and the building [as far as I know] is still standing. How generous is that!

oh shucks...i thought it was a pub on ickneild st but would have guessed at the gate pub so i would have been wrong anyway...only reason i got close is because i have an old map showing warstone lane brewery co which i think later became giles brewery:rolleyes:

The inn sign strikes again - nobody came up with the correct answer for yesterday's image. The Ansell's sign was for The Sentinel on Suffolk Street which was close to the flats/tower blocks : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sentinels
Massive groans are being reported in the Birmingham area on the BBC website ;)

League Table
Curly 68 Points
Elmo 66 Points
Guyarab 65 Points
knobbydave 26 Points
Astoness 25 Points
allanbrum 18 Points
Mikejee 15 Points
A Sparks 12 Points
Radiorails 11 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Dave Riley 4 Points
Morturn 4 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
No points for Michael Fish - only a point if you can name the pub?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Saturday 09.00hrs 25th July. Good luck!

115.jpg

Back