• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pub Quiz League

A few more correct answers for yesterday's puzzle so at least I didn't have you all tearing your hair out on Friday. Well done to all those who identified the Woodman Inn on the corner of Well Street and Barr Street. Here you could see the public-house in the livery of Holder's Brewery. The pub, like the entire estate, was snapped up by M&B in 1919. Curly added that the premises are now occupied by Sterling-K Wholesale Jewellers.

League Table
Elmo 34 Points
Curly 32 Points
Guyarab 31 Points
Astoness 15 Points
knobbydave 9 Points
Mikejee 6 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
Pedrocut 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Time for the Saturday Stinker - hair-pulling time unless, of course, you drop lucky and recognise the building straight away. There are few clues - but this is how the place looked in the inter-war years. William Hill are offering long odds on a correct answer for this one!

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Saturday 22.00hrs 23rd May. Good luck!

53.jpg

The key reason for starting the Pub Quiz League was to provide some amusement during the Covid-19 lockdown. However, I am concerned that some members may be driving themselves mad by some of the stinkers! I certainly don't want forum members to spend their entire day getting knickers in a twist or smashing a hammer through the computer screen. Yesterday's photograph was a true stinker and I now feel a measure of guilt for posting it - the correct answer is the Bordesley Tavern at No.228 Bordesley Green, not too far away from the more familiar Coach and Horses. Oouucchhhh!
Now, interestingly, Guyarab did state that it looked like an Atkinson's house [which it was] but submitted the Bordesley Park Tavern on the corner of Sandy Lane and Coventry Road - so a slight difference in name, but correct brewery, and in the Bordesley area. I would like to award a half-point but will leave it to members to decide if this is fair or too generous? Anyway, as nobody got it right, the league remains the same so no damage to your personal positions ....

League Table
Elmo 34 Points
Curly 32 Points
Guyarab 31 Points
Astoness 15 Points
knobbydave 9 Points
Mikejee 6 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
Pedrocut 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
I am not sure if today's photograph is any easier? My advice is that, if you have done a bit of digging and still don't know, let it go and enjoy your Sunday! However, for a point you do have to name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Sunday 22.00hrs 24th May. Good luck!

54.jpg

Firstly, thanks for your time in setting these posers. I can only speak for myself in that I enjoy the challenge and, although I probably have more time on my hands than some, only spend so long at it. I'm sure most others treat it the same, and yes, it is only a bit of fun.
You can take away the league table part of it if you want, it's the taking part that counts.
You can give Guyarab points if you wish to continue the 'league' in the same way, I have no objection, they are deserving of some recognition in almost solving the puzzle.
I will be enjoying my Sunday come what may, as I'm sure yourself and everybody else will.
Stay safe everyone.
Regards Elmo

Nil points over the weekend!! Yesterday's photograph is a curious one - well, only curious after further investigation. I have had a copy of this photograph for some years. The image crops in a few places and many forum members either remember the photograph or found it via searching yesterday. There is a print of this plate in Birmingham Library. I remember seeing it years ago and it was labelled Barford Street. I must have used this to identify the beer house as the Malt Shovel. I have had my copy in my corresponding folder for ages. I posted it yesterday and then spent the rest of the day in the garden. I checked in yesterday evening to see how you were getting on and then thought about double-checking the image. The City Brewery was in Nechells but bought out by Holder's - this is on my webpage for the latter, along with a list of known Holder's houses. The only tavern they operated in Barford Street was the Army & Navy. This beer house was in Barford Street South. So, I started to have my doubts about the earlier labelling. Moreover, I have looked at the photograph and the layout of the immediate surrounding and I do not see a correlation with Victorian maps. There is a shop next door [though I cannot determine what they are selling?] and then there is a wall. On the other side the court entrances can be determined. None of this seems to match mapping for the locations of either pub so I am starting to wonder if it is actually Barford Street. All very bizarre and now needs further clarification.

League Table
Elmo 34 Points
Curly 32 Points
Guyarab 31 Points
Astoness 15 Points
knobbydave 9 Points
Mikejee 6 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
Pedrocut 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
The image for Bank Holiday Monday is not a motoring image - well, it is in many respects, but the vehicle is parked outside a public-house. Furthermore, the driver was also the publican of a well-known hostelry. Name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Monday 22.00hrs 25th May. Good luck!

55.jpg

strangely enough keiron when i first saw the photo i thought it could have been the malt shovel in smith st hockley but obviously not..good luck everyone with todays puzzle..

SMITH ST PICS 030.JPG

Kieron.
I also tried to find some correlation between the Barford St map and that photo, couldn't, and eventually gave up. However your point about Barford St South is probably not relevant, as Barford St South was absorbed into Barford St between the 1884 & 1888 Kellys, So the decrepit ex pub building (if it is in that St) would probably have, at the time of the photograph, actually been in Barford St

Kieron.
I also tried to find some correlation between the Barford St map and that photo, couldn't, and eventually gave up. However your point about Barford St South is probably not relevant, as Barford St South was absorbed into Barford St between the 1884 & 1888 Kellys, So the decrepit ex pub building (if it is in that St) would probably have, at the time of the photograph, actually been in Barford St
From what I can glean from pics it would seem that the properties in the older section of the street were three-storey, whereas the slightly later buildings that went up in what was then Barford Street South, were only of two storeys, thus ruling out the Army & Navy. But like you Mike, I couldn't match up the pic with the maps available.

Last edited:
photo on post 122 is dated 1905 in my files although just as with locations we can never really be certain that the info is correct...i also have another photo of what looks like a pub in barford st...no idea of its name though but looks as though it was being used for something else at the time the photo was taken

Last edited:
Three in a row - wow! Now, I really thought this bloke was a little more well-known. Douglas Copley was apparently a driver for King George according to the Getty Images page at :

As publican of the Waggon and Horses at Sheldon, he also operated a garage on the site. So, one for motoring fans in addition to pub lovers.

League Table
Elmo 34 Points
Curly 32 Points
Guyarab 31 Points
Astoness 15 Points
knobbydave 9 Points
Mikejee 6 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
Pedrocut 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Hopefully this is an easier image for you all as it has been tougher than tough of late. Name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Tuesday 22.00hrs 26th May. Good luck!

56.jpg

Just to clarify as I've seen a couple of related threads, what was the eventual answer to the Barford Street? pub question?
Cheers

Just to clarify as I've seen a couple of related threads, what was the eventual answer to the Barford Street? pub question?
Tentatively the Malt Shovel but ..... I have my doubts regarding a correlation between pic and map. Moreover, it brings into question whether it is actually Barford Street!! We can all blame Central Library for the confusion :) but BHF members could do a 'job' on it. A good starting place is the list of Holder's houses at https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/breweries/birmingham/holders-brewery.htm which will include the City Brewery acquisitions. Some photographs get mis-labelled and are often a short distance away so it could be another thoroughfare in Highgate, the pic suggests that the terrain is fairly flat and that part of Birmingham is similar. By the way, nobody gained or lost in terms of the league table.

Well done to all the BHF members who correctly identified yesterday's photograph as the New Crown and Cushion on Birchfield Road. An update of the points is as follows :

League Table
Elmo 35 Points
Curly 33 Points
Guyarab 32 Points
Astoness 15 Points
knobbydave 10 Points
Mikejee 6 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
A Sparks 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
Pedrocut 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
It is Wednesday so time for the Midweek Map Muddle. Name the corner pub marked by the arrow on this 1875 plan?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Wednesday 22.00hrs 27th May. Good luck!

57.jpg

Lockdown continues - Matt Hancock, Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, has announced that he wants people to self-isolate if they suddenly lose their sense of smell and taste. I guess programmers will have to change the code for the contact tracing app to detect if the person has just had a glass of Sharp's Doom Bar as the beer is like drinking tap water.

Anyway, yesterday's Midweek Map Muddle should have been easy for BHF members as I have featured the tavern at : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/wharf-street/navigation-inn.htm - the pub being demolished to be replaced by a mission for the Seamen's and Boatmen's Friend Society.

Well done to Curly, Elmo and knobbydave for solving the Muddle. An update of the league table is as follows :

League Table
Elmo 36 Points
Curly 34 Points
Guyarab 32 Points
Astoness 15 Points
knobbydave 11 Points
Mikejee 6 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
A Sparks 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
Pedrocut 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Time for an inn sign - a nice signboard for Ansell's but you have to name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Thursday 22.00hrs 28th May. Good luck!

58.jpg

Lockdown continues - Matt Hancock, Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, has announced that he wants people to self-isolate if they suddenly lose their sense of smell and taste. I guess programmers will have to change the code for the contact tracing app to detect if the person has just had a glass of Sharp's Doom Bar as the beer is like drinking tap water.

Anyway, yesterday's Midweek Map Muddle should have been easy for BHF members as I have featured the tavern at : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/wharf-street/navigation-inn.htm - the pub being demolished to be replaced by a mission for the Seamen's and Boatmen's Friend Society.

Well done to Curly, Elmo and knobbydave for solving the Muddle. An update of the league table is as follows :

League Table
Elmo 36 Points
Curly 34 Points
Guyarab 32 Points
Astoness 15 Points
knobbydave 11 Points
Mikejee 6 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
A Sparks 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
Pedrocut 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Time for an inn sign - a nice signboard for Ansell's but you have to name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Thursday 22.00hrs 28th May. Good luck!

View attachment 145335
Do you have a year for when you took it, Kieron?

Some interesting answers yesterday. Curly was so tempted by the Market Tavern, but could not see how so much red brick could be present, so tried another option. League leader was drawn to the Smithfield Tavern. Both train of thoughts were correct in that the sign carried a 'market' theme. However, only Guyarab correctly submitted The Mercat - as it was known at the time of my pic, though had earlier traded as The Mercat Cross. So, Guyarab narrows the gap to second place in the revised league table :

League Table
Elmo 36 Points
Curly 34 Points
Guyarab 33 Points
Astoness 15 Points
knobbydave 11 Points
Mikejee 6 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
A Sparks 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
Pedrocut 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Today we are nipping inside a boozer - I will help by stating it is not out in the suburbs and, as far as I know, was trading up until the lockdown. I took this photograph in June 2007. Name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Friday 22.00hrs 29th May. Good luck!

59.jpg

Apparently, the pub featured in yesterday's photograph has changed somewhat. I have not seen it but the comments suggest it is not an improvement! I left the 'and' above the back-bar to help BHF members identify the Waggon and Horses in Adderley Street. Well done to the five people who solved the mystery.

League Table
Elmo 37 Points
Curly 35 Points
Guyarab 34 Points
Astoness 16 Points
knobbydave 12 Points
Mikejee 6 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
A Sparks 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
Pedrocut 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Time for the Saturday Stinker. I tried to make it a slightly easier one - but it is only easy if you know it. Name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Saturday 22.00hrs 30th May. Good luck!

60.jpg

I posted the Saturday Stinker before spending the day gardening. It would seem that everybody else went outside and binned the mystery as no answer was submitted. I have not researched the pub featured but here is a photograph I took in 2003 .....

60a.jpg

I do not know why Ansell's rebuilt the Cross Guns at Handsworth - the building looked sound and of suitable size? Was there a stray bomb? Curious?

League Table
Elmo 37 Points
Curly 35 Points
Guyarab 34 Points
Astoness 16 Points
knobbydave 12 Points
Mikejee 6 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
A Sparks 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
Pedrocut 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
This is hopefully a bit easier for BHF members. The photograph dates from 1967. Name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Sunday 22.00hrs 31st May. Good luck!

61.jpg

I did look at the photo of Saturday's pub and it looked vaguely familiar. I tried to read the road name on the side of the pub :laughing: I could see it was ......Lane and was a four letter name with N on the end - just looked on maps and it's Barn Lane so I was right about that!

Back