• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pub Quiz League

A new format for the pub quiz to help with the Covid-19 lockdown. I am posting this photograph and every person wishing to play can then PM me with an answer by the deadline of 22.00hrs [Birmingham time] Tuesday April 7th [tomorrow]. Everybody with a correct answer will be awarded a point. And so we'll continue with a series of pics. The league winner at the end of the Covid-19 crisis will win a prize!

7.jpg

the photo looks familiar to me keiron but a name just does not jump out at me and it would take me a long time to go through all my pub photos and then i may not have it...i did have an idea but checked it out and its not the one i was thinking of but good luck to all those having a go

My first thought was Albion Vaults but no, that's not right. Like you lyn I seem to know the pub but I'm stumped.

my first thought was the queens head corner burbury st and bsw but thats not right either :rolleyes:

A new format for the pub quiz to help with the Covid-19 lockdown. I am posting this photograph and every person wishing to play can then PM me with an answer by the deadline of 22.00hrs [Birmingham time] Tuesday April 7th [tomorrow]. Everybody with a correct answer will be awarded a point. And so we'll continue with a series of pics. The league winner at the end of the Covid-19 crisis will win a prize!

View attachment 143837
Looks like the Great Western on Icknield Street, corner of Park Road

Surprisingly, only one correct answer was submitted and guyarab identified the building as the Great Western, although he was naughty by blurting it out on here rather than using the PM guidelines.

So guyarab goes to the top of the league with one point.

No correct answers for yesterday's photograph. I thought I would mix it up a bit by chucking in a more recent photograph.

The current position remains :

League Table
Guyarab 1 Point
The Rest 0

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TODAY Thurs 22.00hrs 9th April. Good luck!

9.jpg

as requested by keiron i sent him a private message earlier on with my answer as we are not posting them on open forum...dont forget folks the competition ends at 10 tonight..

lyn

Last edited:
Three correct answers for yesterday's photograph. Well done to those who correctly identified the Carpenters' Arms on the corner of Adelaide Street. In recent years it has traded as Moon Shisha Lounge and Moon Vapez. I thought the old red brick looked better!

League Table
Guyarab 2 Points
Astoness 1 Point
Curly 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
This is a famous landmark visible for some distance, particularly when arriving by train from Coventry NEC London etc.

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Friday 22.00hrs 10th April. Good luck!

10.jpg

Three correct answers for yesterday's photograph. Well done to those who correctly identified The Marlborough on Anderton Road in Sparkbrook. If I am honest I thought the landmark tower would be better known by forum members.

League Table
Guyarab 3 Points
Curly 2 Points
Astoness 1 Point
knobbydave 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
This is a another clock tower public-house, a beautiful pub that is perhaps under-valued and seemingly receives less patrons than it deserves.

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Saturday 22.00hrs 11th April. Good luck!

11.jpg

Last edited:
Several correct answers for yesterday's photograph. Well done to those who correctly identified The Red Lion at Erdington. The interior has some lovely features including a stunning servery.

League Table
Guyarab 4 Points
Curly 3 Points
knobbydave 2 Points
Astoness 1 Point
Elmo 1 Point
jmadone 1 Point
Morturn 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
This is a tricky one. This early pub was rebuilt but even that one was demolished in 2014. Mostly known as an Ansell's house.

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Sunday 22.00hrs 12th April. Happy Easter and Good luck!

12.jpg

A few correct answers for yesterday's photograph. Well done to those who correctly identified the Barley Mow at Ward End.

League Table
Guyarab 5 Points
Curly 4 Points
knobbydave 2 Points
Elmo 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Astoness 1 Point
Morturn 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
This is a photograph I took in 2001. Not a pub anymore.

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Monday 22.00hrs 13th April. Good luck!

13.jpg

A couple of correct answers for yesterday's photograph. Well done to those who correctly identified the Malt Shovel on the corner of Coventry Street and Milk Street. It was trading as Billy's when I took this photograph. It is now a backpacker hostel.

League Table
Guyarab 6 Points
Curly 5 Points
Elmo 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
knobbydave 2 Points
Astoness 1 Point
Morturn 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
This is a photograph I took in 2004. I'm not sure what the building is used for nowadays, it was being revamped when I last cycled past but that was a while ago.

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Tuesday 22.00hrs 14th April. Good luck!

14.jpg

More correct answers than I would have thought for yesterday's photograph so well done to those who correctly identified the Union on the corner of Berners Street and Gerrard Street. Lyn tells me that : "its slowly being turned into a muslim school of some sorts but I heard money is tight and its taking years to complete."

League Table
Guyarab 7 Points
Curly 6 Points
Elmo 4 Points
Astoness 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
knobbydave 2 Points
Morturn 1 Point
Williamstreeter 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
We go back to a historical view today ... literally!

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Wednesday 22.00hrs 15th April. Good luck!

15.jpg

Back