• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pub Quiz League

Five people correctly identified the Man In The Moon at West Heath so well done to you all. If you are interested in a tiny bit of background to this place I have uploaded a few paragraphs at :

Updated points etc ......

League Table
Elmo 40 Points
Guyarab 39 Points
Curly 38 Points
Astoness 18 Points
knobbydave 15 Points
Mikejee 7 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
A Sparks 3 Points
Morturn 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
Pedrocut 2 Points
Radiorails 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
allanbrum 1 Point
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
A nice image of a M&B boozer, the original building being extended to the street building line. Name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Sunday 22.00hrs 7th June. Good luck!

View attachment 145577

I can't believe I drank in here solidly for six months when I finished work at 5.00pm , it never even struck a chord with me

Just two correct answers for yesterday's photograph that was captured inside the Old Moseley Arms in Tindal Street at Balsall Heath. This is still a good pub today - real ale and curry/balti dishes. Curly moves up to second place and Elmo has a two point lead at the top ...

League Table
Elmo 42 Points
Curly 40 Points
Guyarab 40 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 15 Points
Mikejee 8 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
A Sparks 4 Points
Morturn 3 Points
Pedrocut 3 Points
Radiorails 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
allanbrum 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Another milestone - this is the 70th image in the Pub Quiz League. We haven't had an illustration for a while so today we have an image of a very old public-house. But what was the name of this establishment?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Tuesday 22.00hrs 9th June. Good luck!

70.jpg

Lots of correct answers for yesterday's illustration - well done to everyone for identifying the Dog and Duck on Holloway Head. A few movement in the table ...

League Table
Elmo 43 Points
Curly 41 Points
Guyarab 41 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 16 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
Williamstreeter 6 Points
A Sparks 5 Points
Pedrocut 4 Points
Radiorails 4 Points
allanbrum 3 Points
Morturn 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Another lost M&B house features in today's image. With unusual parking! What was the name of this public-house?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Wednesday 22.00hrs 10th June. Good luck!

71.jpg

Only one person identified yesterday's photograph of the Victoria Inn on the corner of Albert Road and Upper Thomas Street. Well done to Guyarab who narrows the gap to Elmo to just one point! If BHF members are interested in the Victoria Inn I have featured the pub at : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/albert-road/victoria-hotel.htm

League Table
Elmo 43 Points
Guyarab 42 Points
Curly 41 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 16 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
Williamstreeter 6 Points
A Sparks 5 Points
Pedrocut 4 Points
Radiorails 4 Points
allanbrum 3 Points
Morturn 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
A lovely image today that dates from the mid-1920s. What was the name of this public-house?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Thursday 22.00hrs 11th June. Good luck!

72.jpg

Well done to Elmo and Guyarab who identified yesterday's photograph of the British Oak at Stirchley. At the top-left of the photograph one can see the 'new' British Oak being constructed and soon the old one, purchased when M&B took over Cheshire's Brewery, would be demolished.

League Table
Elmo 44 Points
Guyarab 43 Points
Curly 41 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 16 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
Williamstreeter 6 Points
A Sparks 5 Points
Pedrocut 4 Points
Radiorails 4 Points
allanbrum 3 Points
Morturn 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
We remain in the inter-war years for today's image. Name the public-house?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Friday 22.00hrs 12th June. Good luck!

73.jpg

Well done to allanbrum who moves up the league table as he was the only one to identify yesterday's photograph. I suspect that a lot of people will be kicking themselves as it is a well-known establishment. Ready to groan? The image shows The Rainbow on what some people call Digbeth but is in fact part of High Street Bordesley.

League Table
Elmo 44 Points
Guyarab 44 Points
Curly 41 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 16 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
Williamstreeter 6 Points
A Sparks 5 Points
allanbrum 4 Points
Pedrocut 4 Points
Radiorails 4 Points
Morturn 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
After yesterday's toughy I feel a bit cruel by subjecting members to the Saturday Stinker. However, it has become a tradition of the quiz so here is a nice inter-war image. Name the public-house?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Saturday 22.00hrs 13th June. Good luck!

74.jpg

Last edited:
IMPORTANT UPDATE to league table. For some reason I missed an e-mail message at 19.42hrs last night from Guyarab who also identified The Rainbow. So, I have updated the league table which now has a tie for 1st place!

Curly was almost an exclusive single entry for yesterday's Stinker but a late entry from Guyarab was also a correct identification of the Tilt Hammer on Alum Rock Road. There is a thread on BHF for this pub in which Astonian recalled it being one of the roughest pubs in Brum. The result of yesterday's entries is that Elmo has been toppled from the top of the table, a position he has held for ages ....

League Table
Guyarab 45 Points
Elmo 44 Points
Curly 42 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 16 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
Williamstreeter 6 Points
A Sparks 5 Points
allanbrum 4 Points
Pedrocut 4 Points
Radiorails 4 Points
Morturn 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Today I have featured a photograph that I took very early this century - the lease of the building was on offer. Name the public-house?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Sunday 22.00hrs 14th June. Good luck!

75.jpg

Well done to those who clocked The Armada beneath Spaghetti Junction at Gravelly Hill - gone now of course. A couple of movements in the league table ....

League Table
Guyarab 46 Points
Elmo 45 Points
Curly 43 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 16 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
Williamstreeter 7 Points
allanbrum 5 Points
A Sparks 5 Points
Morturn 4 Points
Pedrocut 4 Points
Radiorails 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Time for an inn sign image - and a fairly old one at that in that the photo dates from 1972. Name the public-house?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Monday 22.00hrs 15th June. Good luck!

76.jpg

"Interesting, very interesting" as Barry Davies once said. I speak of the outcome of yesterday's image which seems to have stumped lots of people. There were clues ... it was an Ansell's house which narrowed it down a fair bit. The scene is rural in character so somewhere out of the city?? And a church spire in the distance. The latter was a reference perhaps to Erdington Abbey as the inn sign stood outside the Lad In The Lane. Well done to A. Sparks and Curly who cracked it. A. Sparks moves up a place whilst Curly has closed the gap to second place - "Interesting, very interesting."

League Table
Guyarab 46 Points
Elmo 45 Points
Curly 44 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 16 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
Williamstreeter 7 Points
A Sparks 6 Points
allanbrum 5 Points
Morturn 4 Points
Pedrocut 4 Points
Radiorails 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
The second tavern check in the pub quiz - I have been generous and left clues for quizzers to solve the mystery. Name the public-house?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Tuesday 22.00hrs 16th June. Good luck!

77.jpg

Well, despite zillions of people flocking to the shops, or one shop in particular, the pub quiz continues. We are supposedly still in lockdown, though many seem to be flouting the rules to one degree or another. I am still furloughed and have stayed at home. I have plenty of work in my garden and in doing that I have not mixed with people. Anyway, I will keep posting images until the all-clear is announced ....

The answer to yesterday's tavern check question was the Prince of Wales, one of the lesser-known beer houses on Summer Lane. A couple of doors away from the Vine Inn, the boozer was located on the eastern side of Summer Lane between New John Street West and Theodore Street. Kidderminster-born Walter Whittaker kept the tavern with his wife Emma. A few members said that they had never heard of this beer house so I am glad to see that the pub quiz is helping to extend the knowledge of Birmingham's pubs in some small way. Some years ago I drew a map of this thoroughfare so this seems a good time to post it :

summer-lane-map-of-pubs.jpg

League Table
Guyarab 47 Points
Elmo 46 Points
Curly 45 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 17 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
A Sparks 7 Points
Williamstreeter 7 Points
allanbrum 6 Points
Morturn 4 Points
Pedrocut 4 Points
Radiorails 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Time for another Midweek Map Muddle. This time we have a very old plan of Birmingham. The tavern you have to name was not trading at this point but I have marked the location it would occupy in later years. What was the name of this drinking establishment?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Wednesday 22.00hrs 17th June. Good luck!

78.jpg

Back