• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pub Quiz League

Yes, indeed the coat of arms was a good clue. Incidentally the legend "exaltavit humiles" - raising,exalting or lifting the humble - (take your pick), is more well known as being a biblical hymn usually referred to as the Magnificat - a hymn to The Virgin Mary/Our Lady (again a name choice).

Yes, indeed the coat of arms was a good clue. Incidentally the legend "exaltavit humiles" - raising,exalting or lifting the humble - (take your pick), is more well known as being a biblical hymn usually referred to as the Magnificat - a hymn to The Virgin Mary/Our Lady (again a name choice).
...........which is where I started, then found it of no use whatsoever in this instance!

Yes, me too - my first thought was the Holte but when I looked at a photo of the pub the windows looked wrong and the coat of arms looked a different shape so I thought it must be another Holt Brewery pub - grrrr :mad: :laughing: should have thought of the Aston Hotel!

The map puzzle is a difficult one to come up with - if I used an OS Map it would perhaps be far too easy. So I try to make it challenging with a more unusual plan or map. I think most people sussed out the general location of the map - Green's Village has been featured on the forum so many realised the boozer was in Beak Street. This area was part of the development of John Bright Street, apparently to create a boulevard in order to frame the Council House. The most obvious public-house in the street was the Lamp Tavern and some members submitted this as their answer. However, I was looking for No.12 Beak Street which was the premises of the Minerva Tavern ....

85a.jpg

Two positive outcomes .... many of the BHF members learn of another tavern and, as nobody detected it, no damage to points and league positions ...

League Table
Guyarab 51 Points
Elmo 49 Points
Curly 48 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 19 Points
allanbrum 9 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
A Sparks 8 Points
Williamstreeter 8 Points
Pedrocut 6 Points
Radiorails 5 Points
Morturn 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Some clues are visible in today's photograph, notably the chimney. Name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Thursday 22.00hrs 25th June. Good luck!

86.jpg

I went for the Lamp but did have reservations as it did not really seem to be in quite the correct location. But, I never saw any reference to another pub.

PS: Today's pic shows a guy in a suit (or jacket) with four buttons on the sleeves - it used to be a sign of quality - maybe it still is. Decent schmatte .:D

He looks very like my uncle Fred (actually cousin) who was an umbrella rep. living in Solihull

If I had known that yesterday's photograph was going to stump so many people I would have saved it for the Saturday Stinker.

86a.jpg

That chimney still stands and is quite a landmark that can be seen in many parts of Balsall Heath, Highgate and Sparkbrook. I believe it was part of the varnish works that stood close to the Flower Pot on the corner of Haden Street and Arter Street, the latter once being Mount Pleasant. So a big well done to Curly who was the only one to identify the pub. On alphabetical order he moves up to 2nd place ...

League Table
Guyarab 51 Points
Curly 49 Points
Elmo 49 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 19 Points
allanbrum 9 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
A Sparks 8 Points
Williamstreeter 8 Points
Pedrocut 6 Points
Radiorails 5 Points
Morturn 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
I logged in this morning and overnight I received a lovely photograph from somebody who wanted a location for the image. Of course, I replied straight away as there are plenty of clues - brewery, publican and even the pub name. So, after you all suffered yesterday I have left all this information for you to see. So, as you have the name the pub, today's question is what was the address of this boozer?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Friday 22.00hrs 26th June. Good luck!

87.jpg

Maybe it was too hot for many - our brains had seized up. However, Balsall Heath was not on the tourist trail for many folks if I remember correctly. ;)

Last edited:
I think there must have been quite a few chimneys in Brum, I wondered if it was the Ansells Brewery chimney in Aston :laughing:

The map puzzle is a difficult one to come up with - if I used an OS Map it would perhaps be far too easy. So I try to make it challenging with a more unusual plan or map. I think most people sussed out the general location of the map - Green's Village has been featured on the forum so many realised the boozer was in Beak Street. This area was part of the development of John Bright Street, apparently to create a boulevard in order to frame the Council House. The most obvious public-house in the street was the Lamp Tavern and some members submitted this as their answer. However, I was looking for No.12 Beak Street which was the premises of the Minerva Tavern ....

View attachment 146105

Two positive outcomes .... many of the BHF members learn of another tavern and, as nobody detected it, no damage to points and league positions ...

League Table
Guyarab 51 Points
Elmo 49 Points
Curly 48 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 19 Points
allanbrum 9 Points
Mikejee 9 Points
A Sparks 8 Points
Williamstreeter 8 Points
Pedrocut 6 Points
Radiorails 5 Points
Morturn 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Some clues are visible in today's photograph, notably the chimney. Name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Thursday 22.00hrs 25th June. Good luck!

View attachment 146106
What a nice looking pub that was!
Lynn.

With scores around the half-century Guyarab, Curly and Elmo have to be applauded for their impressive pub identification skills. I enjoy seeing the three of them fight it out for victory and like it to be close. So I was excited when Curly clawed his way back into second place after he was the only person to clock the Flower Pot. It was therefore baffling why he should throw away his gains so quickly by going for the Calthorpe Arms when the pub name of yesterday's image was visible. He wasn't alone as the Pump Tavern and Warwick Arms were also submitted. And Elmo slipped up too so Guyarab extends his lead at the top to 3 points. The answer was the Rutland Arms at No.281 Heath Street in Winson Green or Birmingham Heath as it was once known. There was a renumbering of the street and it was originally No.77....

87a.jpg

League Table
Guyarab 52 Points
Curly 49 Points
Elmo 49 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 19 Points
Mikejee 10 Points
allanbrum 9 Points
A Sparks 8 Points
Williamstreeter 8 Points
Pedrocut 6 Points
Radiorails 5 Points
Morturn 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
And today does not get any easier because it is time for the Saturday Stinker. A lovely image with the age-old question ... name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Saturday 22.00hrs 27th June. Good luck!

88.jpg

B*gger, lol I've only got the benefit of Google, but to be fair have learned a lot from you guys on BHF including some decent sites to search. I had 3 addresses in mind one of which was Heath St. Never mind I've been lucky more than once with a guess. Well done to all participants and thanks to Keiron for his time and effort in setting the posers, even if some of them have proved impossible :)

A quick search for the pubs name, the licensee's and the brewery name did not materialise into anything substantive, There is a photo, with the horses and carriage but that is to do with the peeky blinders thing. That was a red herring of course. So needing to do other things I threw the towel in. ;)

Twas the licensees name the sent me off the wrong way and I was convinced (seeing no Rutland Arms in Brum) that it was a coach party off to the brewery, stopping off (or picking up) from the pub! (I took Rutland Arms as a red herring)

Last edited:
With scores around the half-century Guyarab, Curly and Elmo have to be applauded for their impressive pub identification skills. I enjoy seeing the three of them fight it out for victory and like it to be close. So I was excited when Curly clawed his way back into second place after he was the only person to clock the Flower Pot. It was therefore baffling why he should throw away his gains so quickly by going for the Calthorpe Arms when the pub name of yesterday's image was visible. He wasn't alone as the Pump Tavern and Warwick Arms were also submitted. And Elmo slipped up too so Guyarab extends his lead at the top to 3 points. The answer was the Rutland Arms at No.281 Heath Street in Winson Green or Birmingham Heath as it was once known. There was a renumbering of the street and it was originally No.77....

View attachment 146219

League Table
Guyarab 52 Points
Curly 49 Points
Elmo 49 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 19 Points
Mikejee 10 Points
allanbrum 9 Points
A Sparks 8 Points
Williamstreeter 8 Points
Pedrocut 6 Points
Radiorails 5 Points
Morturn 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
And today does not get any easier because it is time for the Saturday Stinker. A lovely image with the age-old question ... name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Saturday 22.00hrs 27th June. Good luck!

View attachment 146220
Any clues??
Lynn.

Curly and Elmo bring up their half-centuries with their correct answers yesterday which was the Compasses on Brearley Street. Well done too to the others who spotted the place.

League Table
Guyarab 53 Points
Curly 50 Points
Elmo 50 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 19 Points
Mikejee 11 Points
allanbrum 9 Points
A Sparks 8 Points
Williamstreeter 8 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Radiorails 5 Points
Morturn 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
No Ansell's or M&B today so that narrows it down a bit - name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Sunday 22.00hrs 28th June. Good luck!

89.jpg

I am not sure what state of lockdown BHF members are currently undergoing. I am still avoiding unnecessary contact etc. However, I would like to determine when you would all like the Covid-19 Pub Quiz to conclude. I am happy to keep going with images but do not want to overstay my welcome with these teasers. So, I will leave it up to those who are involved. Suggested deadlines could be a specific date, a set number of images, pub opening day next week or whatever you think suitable/appropriate.

Given the irresponsibility of many people - beaches - raves etc. and the reports of some areas of cities, including Birmingham seem to have ignored lockdown altogether. My wife and I have decided to continue things as they presently are. We are fortunate that living in an area that has many quiet, open spaces, where tourist rarely go we can, hopefully, avoid what we are concerned about. We get deliveries from our pharmacy and a supermarket and what they do not sell AtoZ usually does.
My heart - and prayers - go out to those not so fortunate where they have no garden and are confined to apartments/high rise and similar. Normal life, in my area, sounds through it continues - even if it doesn't. Children nearby are playing (it is weekend all the time for them), mowers, strimmers and building machinery sounds travel around the valley. Refuse collection and postmen go about their usual routines. Next week will see churches open for public worship and some other formerly closed shops will open. Those who visit pubs will also be able to go to them but, somehow, it will, I think, take a while for any former atmosphere in social places to return.
However, life is what you make it, it is said, but commonsense tells us to tread warily for a while. ;)

Back