• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pub Quiz League

A bit easier yesterday so you could enjoy your Sunday. A number of people identified the King of the Road on Hospital Street. Has anybody got a photograph of the Man O' War for Elmo. He used to play footy for the pub. knobbydave moves up to 5th place in the league table ....

League Table
Elmo 31 Points
Guyarab 29 Points
Curly 28 Points
Astoness 12 Points
knobbydave 6 Points
Mikejee 5 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
Pedrocut 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
The pub featured in today's photograph had a change-of-use by the time of the image. I am not sure how hard this one will prove to be? Oh well, the same old question ... name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Monday 22.00hrs 18th May. Good luck!

48.jpg

i am sure there was a photo posted on here of the man o war some years back but i cant find it..will keep looking though...its a pity that google street view only goes back to june 2008 because we could have found a photo there..unfortunately i think the pub was demolished just before that date as i am pretty certain it was there when i joined the forum in jan 2008..mom used to work there around 74/76 so i did go in there a few times

lyn

Last edited:
i am sure there was a photo posted on here of the man o war some years back but i cant find it..will keep looking though...its a pity that google street view only goes back to june 2008 because we could have found a photo there..unfortunately i think the pub was demolished just before that date as i am pretty certain it was there when i joined the forum in jan 2008..mom used to work there around 74/76 so i did go in there a few times

lyn
Lyn - according to my records, the Man O War was demolished in May 2008. I do have a photo of it from 1995, if that's any use, I can email it over to Kieron.

Ah, sometimes I never know how hard a photograph is until I see the number of responses. I thought that this one might be well-known as there is a dedicated thread for it on the forum. The clock was the key feature as it is the Clock Tavern on Ashted Row. Three people came up trumps and Curly goes into second place [alphabetically]. Elmo continues his hot run of form and now has a three point lead. And well done to Lyn who now has 13 points ....

League Table
Elmo 32 Points
Curly 29 Points
Guyarab 29 Points
Astoness 13 Points
knobbydave 6 Points
Mikejee 5 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
Pedrocut 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Time for another inn sign. Yells of delight or groans? This image dates from 1991 - name the drinking establishment?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Tuesday 22.00hrs 19th May. Good luck!

49.jpg

Lyn - according to my records, the Man O War was demolished in May 2008. I do have a photo of it from 1995, if that's any use, I can email it over to Kieron.

hi guyarab so i was correct in saying it was still standing in jan 2008..if you could post the photo you have that would be great unless its the same one that elmo has posted on post 106...ps i also have a photo of the clock tavern ashed taken when it was turned into a warehouse if anyone would like it will gladly post it..

lyn

As the saying goes .... "it is easy when you know the answer!" Yesterday's inn sign turned out to be , as Curly said, "Another stinker." Birmingham has not had a great number of inn signs featuring historical figures so the options were quite limited. I was careful to ask for the name of a "drinking establishment" rather than pub as I am not sure what this place was like in the 1980s when I lived in Berlin and Dorset. However, the Marco Polo Bar on Ladywell Walk evolved into a chill-out zone for some of the wilder nightclub scenes of the 1990s. Did anybody drink in the Marco Polo Bar when it first opened? I am curious to know what the place was like. So, no damage done to anybody as the league remains the same ....

League Table
Elmo 32 Points
Curly 29 Points
Guyarab 29 Points
Astoness 13 Points
knobbydave 6 Points
Mikejee 5 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
Pedrocut 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
We have come a long way .... for the 50th image in the series we return to the popular Midweek Map Muddle. The plan dates from 1875 - name the pub marked by the arrow?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Wednesday 22.00hrs 20th May. Good luck!

50.jpg

Firstly, well done to those who solved the Midweek Map Muddle. Really, there should have been a lot more answers because the plan features a place forum members have come to know quite well. When I was going through my map folder I found that I had a detailed plan of the legendary thread "Location wanted for this bus if possible" at :
Pity I didn't realise I had this before! The two churches can be seen on the junction. In the bottom left of the plan I inserted Saint Luke from the 1621 painting by Reni Guido and he is looking at the church dedicated to him. The Asylum, by the way, was for former licensed victuallers or their family if they had fallen on hard times. I inserted a sun to help with the Sun Inn on the corner of Sun Street. Oh, and that is Roy Castle pointing in the direction of the Castle Inn on Vere Street. Now that some of you now have the answer, I can hear the groans from here in the Black Country!

League Table
Elmo 33 Points
Curly 30 Points
Guyarab 29 Points
Astoness 14 Points
knobbydave 7 Points
Mikejee 6 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
Pedrocut 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
"Oh no, he's stuck another interior photograph into the mix." Oh yes, but where was I when I took this photograph 18 years ago?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Thursday 22.00hrs 21st May. Good luck!

51.jpg

I used the previous thread about the bus to help me locate the road, then another thread about the road to locate the pub. Those picture clues including Roy Castle, St Luke and the Sun were completely wasted on me lol. They went completely over my head.:D

Me too!
Have been fooled many a time when I thought there was something in the way the question was written or even the dates photos taken!

Just the three correct answers to yesterday's interior photograph - so well done to Curly, Guyarab and knobbydave for identifying the Prince of Wales on the Alcester Road at Moseley, a pub in which you can find Oakham Ales, Titanic and Purity beers on draught. I generally nip in here when enjoying the Moseley Folk Festival in the park. For the first time in ages Elmo has slipped up when his close rivals were on the points so just a two point lead now ...

League Table
Elmo 33 Points
Curly 31 Points
Guyarab 30 Points
Astoness 14 Points
knobbydave 8 Points
Mikejee 6 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
Pedrocut 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
I better give you an easier one today before the Saturday Stinker - well, is it easy? Sometimes I just don't know!

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Friday 22.00hrs 22nd May. Good luck!

52.jpg

Doh, another best guess would have got me a point lol, I kept coming back to the Prince of Wales but just couldn't see it. Well done to those who got it right.

never mind elmo..only easy if you know them...in this case you would really have to be familiar with the inside of the pub...i didnt get it either lol

lyn

No. neither did I, though I have been in it twice in the last 5 years, once with Astoness

no wonder it looked familiar mike athough in my defence if i remember we did not stay long...you have been in twice so no excuses lol..

lyn

Back